Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shellygoodman

Width of mirrors/frames compared to vanity

Shelly
9 years ago
I LOVE the proportions of wood framed mirrors to vanity. Since picture is not straight on, it's difficult to tell alignment of how vertical mirror frame (with sconce) line up w cabinets. How wide is mirror frame w sconce? How wide are sink bases w flanking side draw/cabinet combos? How wide is make up desk? Ty so much in advance.
Kiawah Renovation · More Info

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Harper Construction Inc.
    9 years ago

roughly 8"

• Shelly
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you so much! We already moved forward w 7" but glad to hear similar to yours. Really helpful inspiration photo.
  • EVELYN SCHNEIDER
    8 years ago

Who makes wall sconces?

• pkflood
    7 years ago

How is the mirror wall constructed? Can you please give measurements? I love this look and would like to do something similar in our bath.Thank you!

• pkflood
    7 years ago

Thanks, Shelly. Did he make the frame out of plywood, and does it go to the top of the back splash and bottom of the crown molding - or did he use other moldings? Your bathroom is beautiful. Mine is smaller, and the mirrors will be narrower. The vanity wall is just 7' with no makeup cut out.

• Shelly
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

It is not plywood but I'm not sure what it is. Same wood as custom cabinets. Maybe maple? The frame sits on the back splash and then the crown was applied at the ceiling. We put filler behind frame so there wouldn't be big diff between backsplash and frame. Here are some detail pics to help. (I don't believe the original grey inspiration pic has a backsplash, but my remodeler suggested it. Backsplash is same width as crown for balance.)

• pkflood
    7 years ago

You are do nice to have gone to this trouble. Thank you very much. The detailed photos showed me the openings for the mirrors are framed/molded out (yes?) in addition to being inset. I wouldn't have know to do that. my bathroom isn't stained. Did you stain the mirror wall so it would look like the whole thing was a piece of furniture? Mine will be painted. I hadn't intended to paint it as dark a color as the vanity. What are your thoughts?

• Joshua Perla
    6 years ago

Is the total width from end to end (including the his/her sinks + makeup area) a total of 8" wide? Great job!

• Shelly
    Original Author
    6 years ago

pkflood, i missed your 3/8/2017 questions... sorry. I'd love to see how it turned out. My mirrors match stain for vanity.

perla, No, more like 12'. We have a really weird long space so we filled it. His sink/drawers 57", make up vanity in middle 33", her sink/drawers 57"= 12'3". Then further into bathroom (not sure you can see it), did free standing armoir/display cabinet that's 30". Hope that helps.

• Jenifer Flynn
    6 years ago

Shelly--can you tell me if you have a seam in your slab? We have a 122 inch vanity and trying to figure out how to do without a seam. One option was a lower make up vanity in between. Thanks so much

• Shelly
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I have a marble seam right in the middle of makeup vanity at 74” and it doesn’t bother me at all. Prior to remodel, I had lower level vanity in between sinks and didn’t like the look of it. I wanted all one level to look clean and sleek. However, lower vanity allows for a chair whereas I use a counter height stool. It’s personal preference as to what you like and what is most important. That said, my kitchen island is one slab that’s 116” so you may be able to find a big enough piece if you are against having a seam. I know that I wouldn’t have accepted a seam in the kitchen. Good luck.
  • Shelly
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here is a photo of our pre-remodel vanity so you can see with lower level

• Jenifer Flynn
    6 years ago
    Thank you so much Shelly. I think we need to do the drop down level because we can't get one large slab up the stairs. Would have to use a crane. So if I have a 46 inch vanity, lower 33 inch make up vanity and then another 46 inch vanity all connected- can you advise mirror and sconce placement? Would middle mirror have to be more narrow?
  • Shelly
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, our middle mirror is 33" which is narrower than other two (same width as vanity drawer). The frame is 7" wide. But, you can do what you want.