Software
Houzz Logo Print
wemakeitourhome

New look for an old dresser

We are renovating a house we recently purchased. You can check the before photos here. The previous owner left an antique dresser for me. We decided to give it a new look and use it when the renovation is completed. The renovation process is slow but at least my dresser is ready!

Another angel for the 2nd Bedroom · More Info

Comments (45)

  • 11 years ago

    Great job!


    We Make It Our Home thanked User
  • 11 years ago

    Lovely!

    We Make It Our Home thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • 11 years ago

    I love it! Can I ask what paint and technique you used to accomplish this?


    We Make It Our Home thanked faithhope_love
  • 11 years ago

    Nice job!

    We Make It Our Home thanked hatetoshop
  • 11 years ago

    Thanks faithhope_love! The color I chose was Benjamin Moore Bavarian Cream. The technique that was used is similar to how you would use chalk paint by Annie Sloan. If you are into DIY, there are many tutorials available on the web or on youtube. I didn't want to risk it so I hired this lady who beautifully paints antiques. She sanded down the dresser, painted it with the color I chose, sanded it again to give it a distressed look and waxed the whole thing with dark wax to create this shabby chic look.

  • 11 years ago

    Lovely job. I wonder if she made her own chalk paint with the color you asked for.

    We Make It Our Home thanked Angel 18432
  • 11 years ago

    Super cute & totally matches the rug below!

    We Make It Our Home thanked bungalowmo
  • 11 years ago

    Thank you Angel18432 for the compliment! You are absolutely right, she has told me that she has her own recipe to make a chalk paint with BM color (apparently at a fraction of a cost of Annie Sloan paints)


  • 11 years ago

    Thank you bungalowmo! I love that you noticed the rug. It's a hand-knotted silk Persian rug. A reminder of where I am from.

  • 11 years ago

    Oh yeah....that caught my eye immediately! Those new drawer pulls fit it perfectly too.

    Is that to be your bedroom or a guest room??

  • 11 years ago

    Originally I had the guest bedroom in mind but I am liking the final product so much that I might use it myself. It's just a bit smaller than the size of a dresser I would need. Otherwise, I would happily throw out my giant yet typical store bought dresser!


  • 11 years ago

    Use it & keep an eye out at local flea markets for another & use a similar, but not exact color. Eventually you can dump the store bought.

    It's taken me 7 years & I'm still slowly picking up unique pieces...

    Rome wasn't built in a day!!

  • 11 years ago

    That's the spirit :) Thanks for the tip! will do that.


  • 11 years ago

    It almost doesn't look like the same dresser! Beautiful...

    We Make It Our Home thanked G F
  • 11 years ago

    That is one beauty now from the beast it was. Great vision and lucky you!

    We Make It Our Home thanked abbyjean
  • 11 years ago

    When you are ready to post after pics, will you please post the link here? Thank you! I really want to see this home when you have it done.

    We Make It Our Home thanked abbyjean
  • 11 years ago

    Thanks abbyjean, I am impatiently waiting to take after photos. You can see the before photos here. I have been uploading renovation progress photos to this project album as we move along. Once it's completed, I will post after shots to this album as well. Feel free to follow me so you can get updates on this project :)



  • 11 years ago

    After putting so much love and attention into each home, I would think you would have

    a hard time letting each one go - but you can't keep them all lol


    As you enjoy the challenge, I'm sure you look forward to the next one.


  • 11 years ago

    I was looking at all your "before" photos. It's so funny, because on an old house forum I used to go to all the time, we had a thread called "Show us your PINK"! It seems every old house had something...somewhere...painted a hideous (usually pepto bismol colored) pink!!

    Mine, thank goodness, is inside my kitchen cabinets! Yes...someone actually took the time to paint the entire insides of my cabinets pepto-pink!! They will get painted one day, but it's not at the top of the to-do list!!

    Your house has great bones!! I do love a good restoration post!! :0)

  • 11 years ago

    Oh I totally agree. Seems they wouldn't pass inspection if they didn't use some sorts of hideous pink color, whether be bathroom tiles, wallpaper or paint color!

    For our new house, I am uploading photos as we go. Hopefully you'll enjoy the "after" photos.

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks Angel18432, you read my mind. It's very difficult to let a house go. If I could, I would keep all of them! one for the amazing view, one for the location, one for the big kitchen! :)


  • 11 years ago

    lol One day you may find the one with all the features you love and it will be a keeper !

  • 11 years ago

    Oh I love it! I painted a desk for our computer in the dining area. I want to do our dining table very similar to your dresser. I love what the paint can do!


    We Make It Our Home thanked wallizgrl
  • 11 years ago

    Thanks wallizgr. The color is bavarian cream 2146-70 by Benjamin Moore with dark wax on top of.


  • 11 years ago

    Stunning - absolutely beautiful!

    We Make It Our Home thanked Starr Durrant
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I"m not fan to paint the wood. what is the point??

  • 11 years ago

    nice job but personally don't like the distressed look.

  • 11 years ago

    Ugh ignore those people! It looks stunning and has so much character! Great job.

    We Make It Our Home thanked mamareid
  • 11 years ago

    I love how you kept the integrity of the original design and detail! It beautiful!

    We Make It Our Home thanked Nichol Hall
  • 11 years ago
    Très jolie rénovation, j'aime !!
    We Make It Our Home thanked flo18
  • 11 years ago
    Faith hope-love. Annie Sloan paint is easier and it turns out great.
  • 11 years ago

    Love it!

    We Make It Our Home thanked Corinna Porter
  • 11 years ago

    Thanks mamareid for the compliment. It seems people either love it or hate it. At the end, I think the benefits of upcycling are not just limited to the "appearance" which some people might not find it appealing. It also reduces the amount of garbage we produce in the world thereby reducing the need to produce new stuff.

    Merci beaucoup flo18. Je l'aime aussi!

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Very nice! Better than new, which would not be the same quality.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I'm all for restoration and natural wood if the piece isn't damaged, but this really looks great!

    .

  • 11 years ago
    I have a similar dresser...your project has given me new love for my old piece!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Absolutely love how it turned out. Great job! One of my own projects posted was doing a "Shabby Chic" finish on some pieces, (JC Redesigns)
  • 11 years ago

    a perfect antique wood piece ruined by slathering it with white paint. yuck.


  • 11 years ago

    I like it, especially leaving the top natural wood and painting the rest. I think it's very pretty.

  • 11 years ago

    Hi, the body of the dresser is painted with BM Bavarian Cream. Is the same paint color used for the top part of the dresser?

  • 11 years ago

    Beautiful transformation!

  • 10 years ago
    Is the dark wax from the Annie Sloan collection?
  • PRO