Software
Houzz Logo Print
dblank_gw

Can I fix these split branches?

11 years ago

I have two different bushes/shrubs that have split branches. For each, they are main branches that significantly affect the shape of the plant. I would hate to have to just cut them off.

I have photos of each attached, labeled SHRUB #1 and SHRUB #2. Clearly, the split in shrub #1 is much worse.

If I could fix these, I have seen videos on YouTube about drilling a hole and rod through to secure it, and others post about the value of using crazy glue and grafting tape. What do you recommend for each shrub?

Thanks!

-Dan



Comments (9)

  • 11 years ago

    Doesn't much matter which tree. The damage is from torque on the branches. No repair possible for that sort of injury.
    Perhaps it's time to consider starting over with a different tree.


    dblank thanked jean001a
  • 11 years ago

    I was just thinking that some shrub species respond very nicely to renovation pruning, being cut all of the way to the ground to start all over again.

    OP refers to the plants as shrubs/bushes and it might be useful to see an image of the size of the plant and the scope of the damage before giving up entirely.

    Those plants that are good candidates for renovation pruning quite often end up looking better than ever.

    I've learned not to trust my judgement about the real size of things we see in these cell phone images we're given. Things that appear to be very large may be, in fact, quite tiny.

    dblank thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • 11 years ago

    Thank you everyone for the advice so far! For Shrub #1, it provides a lot of privacy from the road, so I'm super hesitant to just prune it to the ground. In the mid-term, I will likely plant something new next to it, and then indeed prune these all the way back. But that may not be for 1-3 years. Trying to just keep things going until then!


    I can try to grab photos today/tomorrow and post them so all of you can see the scale of each plant. For Shrub #1, it is about 10 feet tall, and runs in a row along our driveway. The damage came from heavy snow last year, and this year.


    For Shrub #2, of course the brand that is split is a main branch that leads to what feels like 1/3 of the entire plant! To loose it completely changes the shape of that area of the yard. That one seems more likely to be mended, and I can prune the overall plant back more there, encouraging new growth elsewhere.


    More photos soon. Thanks!

    -Dan

  • 11 years ago

    Okay, I grabbed new photos of the full plants. Here is Shrub #1 in two different angles. This is the much messier split. The one that is split is the second plant in a row of about 8 plants. It's towards the end, by the driveway.



  • 11 years ago

    And here is a photo of what I was calling Shrub #2, the one that had the cleaner split and seemed more repairable to me. Looking at it now, this is clearly a TREE, right? The split branch is one of the big branches that veers to the right.


  • 11 years ago

    cant ID the leaves.. as the pix are too far away ... and i dont know where they are ...

    no ... they can not be fixed ..

    those are huge old shrubs... with no insult to the root mass ... they should respond with explosive growth if you properly prune out the damaged parts .... your base problem.. is .. unlike a broken bone.. the inside of the wood is basically dead wood.. and will not heal .. all you can do.. is hope the 1/16 of an inch of bark will heal around it ... but that isnt going to do much of anything... with the massive hanging weight out there ...

    prune them properly.. and dont look at them for a year or two ...

    ken


    dblank thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • 11 years ago

    you may get a bunch more opinions in the tree or shrub forums.. where we see this issue a couple times per year ...

    ken


    dblank thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • 11 years ago

    Thanks so much for the advice Ken!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations