papermoonandstars

Tiny studio living/dining space

papermoonandstars
April 12, 2015

Hey all! I'd love to hear your ideas on what to do with this space. I just moved into a 450 sq ft. studio. The floor plan is "H" shaped, so there is already some division between the kitchen and the bedroom. Off the kitchen is an area where either a living area or dining area could go. While the rest of my place is set up, I'm having the hardest time figuring out what to do and how to organize my stuff in this little room. (Please forgive the clutter - I'm trying desperately to sort thru it and donate/find homes for everything :-)

• I need a way to "hide" that storage stuff that's in plastic bins as well as the tall fan. I may wind up trying to shove the bins into my closet but that would be a feat, lol.

• I would like a work table for larger craft projects or to have lunch/dinner, but I don't think it would look nice to have a table taking up the whole area.

• Right now I have two awkward bookshelves in that space. I am thinking of selling the cubby one closest to the camera. And a weird cane chair that I may donate as well... but it's kinda cool.

• I'm trying to find ways to display little knick knacks. I have a number of random things which are cute, but have no real place to sit.

• This area is probably 7 ft x 8 ft.

Thanks for any ideas and input! :-)

• lucidos

That actually looks like an Ikea cubby to the front left and with a few Ikea hacks you can have a wonderful versatile area.

Even on an "L"

Add a small table and you have storage eating and workspace.

papermoonandstars thanked lucidos
  • papermoonandstars

thank you for your response! Some cute ideas there - It unfortunately is not from IKEA, so it does't come apart. I've got my eye on a folding table, maybe... I'll have to see! Any other thoughts? :)

• DIY Homegirl

Smart storage is key in a small space. I'd add more cubbies like you have---you could have one big wall (or two) with them. IKEA's version is Kallax. They even have a table surface you can attach to their shelves, which appears to fold. That would be great for a small space like yours. You can hide/store items in boxes made for the shelves or display your decorative items. Go as vertical as you can with storage, since you're limited on space.

IKEA is also great for inspiration and ideas, as you can browse their showroom, which has lots of small space ideas. You can also search sites like Apartment Therapy for small space ideas, as well as Houzz. Good luck!

papermoonandstars thanked DIY Homegirl
  • papermoonandstars

Thanks! :) I'll keep looking around and I'll check out IKEA too!