Software
Houzz Logo Print
pattys16

Tree for front lawn

11 years ago
I would love any suggestions for two trees for my front lawn. Our yard is wide open. I would like some trees to make the house look more settled. Not so much for privacy as I want to be able to look out my windows and see the neighborhood. I am thinking of two chanticleer pear trees. Would love any suggestions!

Comments (18)

  • 11 years ago
    I am on the east coast and my house faces west. The morning sun is in the back then comes around to the left side of my house.
  • 11 years ago

    Go to a plant site and enter your zip code for your gardening zone. Without knowing exactly what zone you're in makes things tricky. You have a big front yard so I would make sure the trees are to scale.


  • 11 years ago
    Sorry! I'm in 5b
  • 11 years ago

    No worries! :) The pear trees would be pretty but consider that when planting multiple Chanticleer pear trees in the same space, allow 18 feet in between each tree for growth.

    Look through these trees and see if anything catches your eye. Maybe 1 pear and a couple of green giants on a nice free form bed of mulch?

    http://www.arborday.org/Shopping/Trees/PopularTrees.cfm?zone=5


  • 11 years ago
    What do you mean by "free form" and green giants?. I've been looking and researching trees for a couple years now. I would love suggestions on what trees to plant because I can't decide. I don't think I want anything too big like a maple but more of an ornamental tree(s). Should I put on in that bed and one closer to my driveway? Thank you!
  • 11 years ago
    What a lovely house and yard you have. Chanticleer, or Bradford, pear trees are pretty but not very tough. The have a short life span mostly due to how easily they break apart in a big storm. Plus they are messy, dropping sticky stuff all summer once they are done flowering. I would recommend a native tree like a flowering dogwood or eastern redbud. Both have pretty spring flowers and then stunning autumn color foliage.
  • 11 years ago
    You may want to consider some plum trees. Their spring flowers are beautiful and smell so wonderful, they can be kept to a fairly small size if you prefer or left to grow big and free, they actually like company so you could have the option of planting closer together for a very attractive copse effect.

    I had a group of five that survived my inexperience and bloomed happily in Vermont; my home here in California has a gorgeous old plum next to the entrance. You could easily find varieties that would work on your locations.
  • 11 years ago
    I am just wondering if cherry trees will block my view the street too much since they are wider. I like being able to see the street.
  • 11 years ago
    As for the pear trees I know the Bradford pears are a no no but from what I understand the chanticleer pear is stronger.
  • 11 years ago

    I would recommend spending some time around a chanticleer pear tree when it's blooming before you make a decision, because if it's anything like a Bradford pear, it REEKS.

    I'm going to second the recommendation for a dogwood or an eastern redbud. They're both glorious in bloom and during the autumn. A dogwood cultivar with more horizonal branching like 'Rutgan' or 'Cherokee Chief' would suit your house well.

    Where do plan on placing the trees in your yard?


  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Consider framing your home with two handsome oak trees.

  • 11 years ago
    Okay, I will look into those trees you mentioned. Or, do you think a maple tree would be better? I am thinking one closer to my driveway about 10 to 15 feet from the street and one 20 to 30 feet to the right of that. Or maybe in that bed that needs updating. I would love any help on placement!
  • 11 years ago
    What about a red Japanese maple? Any other suggestions!
  • 11 years ago

    don't plant oaks, horrid things with acorns and ucky stuff and late falling leaves.

  • 11 years ago
    I choose a Red Maple sun Valley for the front left next to my driveway. I am thinking of planting a stellar pink dogwood next to my house. I have a Cleveland pear that I am looking for a spot to put and would love to get a red emperor Japanese maple for the mulched bed. Any suggestions for where I could put these two trees in my yard? I would like to put the JM in the mulched bed. Maybe at the top of the bed or the bottom. Where could the pear go?
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Two oak trees would be handsome.

  • 11 years ago
    I had a massive oak tree in my front lawn growing up. I still love the sound of the leaves in the fall when walking thru them but I don't want oaks here. I want something a lot smaller!