Software
Houzz Logo Print
mj_roth

How to modernize a traditional looking dining table?

11 years ago

Comments (44)

  • 11 years ago
    Looks good! Your table is a little less feminine than this, but it has a similar feel with the chairs.
    http://houzz.com/photos/6729584
  • 11 years ago
    Keep in mind your table is much more open underneath so you'll have a void with the clear chairs. That might be what you're going for (maybe you are showing off a fabulous rug). But your table could also handle more substantial pieces.
    http://houzz.com/photos/7664231
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I love the old world meets modern style that you are going for. Here's a suggestion if you'd like to go for the clear "ghost" type chairs another option to make it up to date could be to go for updated arm chairs for the ends and a different type of side chair for the sides, both according to your taste. Take a look. Please feel free to ask for any questions. Have a wonderful day!

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    OK! We seem to like the same styles. I love also, the idea "old world meets modern." I love love the chairs Pasha in black with the hounds tooth print cushions and the balloon chairs in white with the hounds tooth print. Like in this picture (except it's orange).

  • 11 years ago

    The link didn't show in this feed but I took a look on the second post. I think so far your heading in the right direction. Even-though, we can't view the room that these gorgeous item are going in. Enjoy yours Mj Roth!


    Mj Roth thanked onestawr
  • 11 years ago

    Best response onestawr! Thank you. Yeah, definitely debating between the rounded glass chairs, or the Pasha.... (hmm...)

    I think the balloon chairs would be wonderful as the two end chairs.

    How about all black to contrast the glass chairs?

    I do have a banquette as well though.

  • 11 years ago
    Here is another take on what you seem to be hoping for! Keep us updated!
  • 11 years ago

    Sure use the black balloon chairs with the glass ones; yeah go for it! So, your thinking of the balloon chairs with a banquet and glass chairs?(hmm) How about if you do decide us the chairs in black to balance the look. Oh... on the sectional use "fabric."


    Mj Roth thanked onestawr
  • 11 years ago

    Hey onestawr:


    Yes, although the banquette isn't important - it's a dark slate gray color, tufted.


    So the end balloon chairs, would definitely look better in black?, or black+white (if they have it), but definitely not all white right?


    Are you saying the rest of the glass chairs should be black? I definitely want the cushions. Just can't decide between the traditional circular glass chairs or the Pasha ones.


    Yeah, I requested for fabric on the sectional, micro fiber fabric may look 'cheap' ish.

  • 11 years ago

    Also wanted to add: Arms/No Arms for the glass chairs? Here are my picks. Still debating between the Pasha (houndstooth cushion) style for the chairs or the more traditional rounded backs. If the traditional ones like this (black, or white - non opaque)?



  • 11 years ago

    Hey Mj Roth:

    I like geometric patterns when comes to black and white. The black and white balloon chairs at the end and the round backs black with arms.

    I did find the balloon chairs at one of my favorite store, http://modshop1.com/collections/all-modern-wing-chairs?page=1. Modshop can customize the chairs like these;

    Houndstooth Balloon Chair · More Info


  • 11 years ago

    Oh...no not in white.


  • 11 years ago
    That's great thank you.

    Another idea is to stay traditional in all black and just have the end chairs be the Pasha chairs?
  • 11 years ago
    And what color should the glass chairs be? With or without arms?
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Hi Mj Roth, I was typing my response and then saw your last 2 posts! So.. I’d like to see you do a real Louis chair (Pasha) at the ends and to give it the contemporary spin you are looking for have them upholstered in patent black leather w/ matte black paint. If you have the space to comfortably fit as many arm chairs along the sides as you require, then I’d definitely go that route. Also, I would do clear or smoke.

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks! Btw @onestawr is this sectional better than the one that I'm looking to get? I can get it in fabric as well and change the colors. https://www.thelivingroomsets.com/product/modern-sectional-sofa-w-attached-end-tables/

  • 11 years ago

    On a second thought, the one sectional I initially posted is still my first option for a more classic, luxury, minimalist look

  • 11 years ago

    Yes, the first sectional is the best choice.


    Mj Roth thanked onestawr
  • 11 years ago

    I'm just now trying to decide on a good color combination for my light gray/white walls, and lightly tan travertine tiles.


    The fill of the cushion is regular foam, though.


  • 11 years ago

    My apology for just getting back to you. What is your dominate color? Remember 60% main color, 30% accent color and 10% third color.


  • 11 years ago

    Will the company charge for samples of the colors your thinking about? Reason why I ask the colors are not exact because there is grey color picture but it states it's brown. What I can see of the different sets of leathers: 1) Bonded; HX001-41, HX001-70, HX001-103. 2) Genuine; 4c095 or 789. 3) Italian; 2A2081.


  • 11 years ago

    Think about wing backs too

    Daniel Arm Chair, White · More Info

  • 11 years ago

    GDF Studio Romford Bonded Leather Wingback Club Chair, Brown · More Info

    only lighter

  • 11 years ago

    I would go with the smoke or lilac in the ghost chairs. ( They are acrylic, not glass.) Very classic MCM style.

  • 11 years ago

    For some reason did not get a photo or link to the 1st sectional you are considering, however I do not like the one posted with red table ends.

  • 11 years ago

    Don't do cushions if you get the acrylic chairs as it kind of defeats the reason for them.

    Don't know where the link for the first sectional is but, with black, white and tan (floor), essentially any color would work as an accent. Some shades might be better than others but let us know what you like and we can help give you direction toward the perfect shade.

  • 11 years ago

    For comfort you might consider the saarinen executive side chair with metal legs


    Dining Room · More Info


  • 11 years ago

    However, I believe it is micro fiber fabric....

    Foam Cushion Fill.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    This is the black and white version.

  • 11 years ago

    That's a great table! Don't modernize it with paint. Maybe put modern chairs there, then put some interesting items on the table itself - funky vases or candle holders, cool textiles, etc. Keep it a fun, funky place that visitors will enjoy sitting at not worrying that they may "ruin" something.


  • 11 years ago

    I agree with lynnag - an awesome table just as it is. Makes me jealous :)

  • 11 years ago

    The black and white can work with the travertine tiles. But I don't believe microfiber is the way to go. Let me do some checking; seems like I saw this sectional at another company.


  • 11 years ago

    Mj Roth: I chat with the company and they said to login and you can customize the sectional.
    www.vigfurniture.com/2616-modern-bonded-leather-sectional-sofa.html

  • 11 years ago

    Unfortunately I'm not a dealer, so I won't be able to have that login.

    I did see the swatches: so I'm kind of just trying to figure it out from here http://www.vigfurniture.com/swatches/VGEV-color-sample.html

    Leaning towards light gray and dark gray (two tone)

    What do you think?

    Also, if not micro fiber, I don't know what other fabric they have.


  • 11 years ago

    I just realize the swatches are all leather and I didn't see any fabric swatches. Tried another sight my sister like the sectional as well and we only saw the black and white microfiber.


  • 11 years ago

    The tone would work really well! So the pillows would be the light grey and rest in the darker grey?


    Mj Roth thanked onestawr
  • 11 years ago

    It applies for fabric as well.

    I'm thinking: GREY 688 and GREY BE7023# or maybe with DK Grey 789?

  • PRO
    11 years ago


    Dallas, TX: Stolp · More Info


  • 11 years ago

    And yes onestawr

  • 11 years ago

    That's great! Either one of the dark greys would work.


    Mj Roth thanked onestawr