Software
Houzz Logo Print
sedgwickdesignstudio

What type of wood did you use on the ceiling?

Love everything about this room - particularly the ceiling! If you can kindly tell me what species of wood you used and how you treated it as well as applied it I would appreciate it very much! Thank you!
Transitional Living Room · More Info

Comments (5)

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Thanks for the inquiry. The ceiling is exterior clear cedar lap siding which is nailed in place.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    The cedar adds such warmth to this room. Beautiful.


  • 11 years ago

    Thank you! I thought it might be but appreciate the reply! The room (and entire home) are truly spectacular! I really enjoy the work your firm does!


  • 11 years ago

    Question for @Rii Architects: I am contemplating redoing my family room fireplace and came across your Palisades renovation. I'm interested in learning why you or the home owners decided to tile the fireplace place long-ways (horizontal) versus vertical up the middle from the firebox up. If you are following what I mean. What was it about the space in this room that made you choose your design? I like it and was wondering whether there's a rhyme or reason to doing it one way versus the other given space, ceiling heights, etc. Thanks and I look forward to your response! Nice work.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Thanks for the question. The reasoning for the long mantel / stone wall
    was to continue the low vertical lines of the ranch style house.
    Continuous mantels which are a more contemporary detail are often found in
    mid-century homes. It also gives greater flexibility in hanging art as well as makes a nice shelf to accessorize. Below is another low mantel found on HOUZZ that has a similar detail.


    Spring Bay - 'Mid-Century Modern' · More Info