Software
Houzz Logo Print
faddu1

I'm pretty bare, help dress me up!

11 years ago
I need help figuring out what else to add to this room. Have chocolate brown sofas and these chairs only right now. Was thinking to add real color curtains. But no idea what else as far as tables. Plz help! This is the formal living room

Comments (48)

  • 11 years ago

    Your furniture is beautiful. There are a few things you could do to spice up a room. I would create an accent wall, and paint a face of one of the walls a color from those chairs. Either a light blue or green. Maybe hang a piece of art in between those to chairs. You could even purchase a table for the centre of the room, or a long table the fits just under the sill of the windows, and add some greenery.

  • 11 years ago

    Am I to understand you have two sofas?

  • 11 years ago
    Perhaps buy an upholstered ottoman and place accent chairs around it to begin building a conversation area. You didn't mention TV...
  • 11 years ago

    Curtains should NOT be your top priority. You need a coffee table, side tables, lamps & ART first! At least one of the tables should be round or oval. Maybe a tall plant for a corner.

    Create a grouping as shown above.

    Right away, get some bright green throw pillows and/or linen ones to tie your chairs in with your couch. When you get a lamp, be sure it is tall enough to function as a reading light next to the couch.


  • 11 years ago
    I agree with making the chairs face the sofa so that it is more conversation based. Adding more pillows and curtains would also add a lot I think.
  • 11 years ago
    There is no tv. There is only one sofa and two chairs.

    This room is what you see when u first walk in. It's supposed to be a dining room but we decided to turn it into more of a formal living area
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Plants will really warm the room up and make it cozy. Then add some artwork for interest and conversation starters!
  • 11 years ago

    Thank you faddu1. I was going on your comment "Have chocolate brown sofas and these chairs only right now."

    Here's what I would do. The sofa seems dwarfed by the high window, so I'd move it to the wall where you currently have the two chairs. Maybe put a sofa table behind it to add some photographs, lamps or other decorative items. I'd place the chairs with their backs to the window on either side of a small table and lamp. Add either a coffee table or ottoman with a tray for drinks on top of it.

    And yes, drapes will be a wonderful finishing touch to the room.

    As for under the high window (I love those) you could add a cabinet that could be used as a bar with a mini fridge inside, if you don't drink alcohol, to keep soft beverages.

  • 11 years ago
    Thanks for all the ideas.

    @justgotabme I don't know if the sofa will fit on that wall. It's pretty wide. I will try that out though. That window is a high but wide more than long. So I can't really put any artwork there. How would plants look up there?
  • 11 years ago
    Sofa won't fit on wall by chairs because there's a walkway that leads to the kitchen
  • 11 years ago
    You could add a sofa table between wall and sofa and add items of interest instead of wall art.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    What will you do here? Formal living room may mean no TV. You don't appear to have a focal point so I suggest you create one where the chairs are now. How about putting a fireplace there? You can get an electric one to plug right into that outlet. Then put the sofa in front of the window with a coffee table. The two chairs can flank the sofa, facing each other over the coffee table. Under the high window add a credenza, lamps and art. Floor to ceiling drapes hung where you have the divisions between the front windows can be repeated with roman shades on the little window. Pick up the blues and greens of your chairs for your pillows, drapes, throws and accessories.

  • 11 years ago

    The last picture in your original post didn't show the first time I looked. I see now that wall is too short. Do you have enough room to place the two chairs facing the sofa where it is now?

  • 11 years ago

    Yes there is plenty of room there.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I would try that then with a small table between the chairs and a coffee table between them and the sofa. If possible put the coffee table directly under the light fixture to keep anyone from bumping their head or replace it with a semi flush fixture.

  • 11 years ago
    Not sure if I placed it right but this is what it looks like with chairs facing sofa.
  • 11 years ago
    I like the chairs facing the sofa.Pull the sofa away from the wall and put a sofa table back there with tall decorative lamps or some tall vases with floral arrangements.A stack of nicely bound books can be used to elevate your decor items.Craigslist can help with an inexpensive sofa table if money is an issue.
  • 11 years ago
    Also agree that you need a rounded or oval coffee table between the chairs and the sofa.
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks. I have two young kids who love jumping on everything. So for now glass decor is out of the question
  • 11 years ago

    Yes, that's much more inviting. An oval coffee table would not only look good, but be safe with little ones.
    A small round table between the chairs would be nice too. My original idea of "Maybe put a sofa table behind it to add some photographs, lamps or other decorative items." will work to fill in the space between the top of the sofa and the window and be safer with your children too.
    Are you planning on adding window treatments?

  • 11 years ago
    Yes I want to add teal colored curtains. Will that work best or should I do the green from the chairs?
  • 11 years ago

    Either teal or green would work. Whichever you like best.

  • 11 years ago
    Thanks. What about the color of the furniture? Not sure about that one.
  • 11 years ago
    @justgotabme

    Any suggestions where I can get inexpensive furniture that's good quality? I have a limited budget
  • 11 years ago

    Whether on a low budget or not, my go to is local face book for sale pages, it's like Craigslist only you can reply directly to, or private message, the seller. Thrift and used furniture stores are another good source. Goodwill has a Wearhouse in a large city close to me that sells by the pound. Another source for used is Habitat Restore.
    If you want new at a good price then I'd recommend Target. They have a nice variety of small tables and cabinets for reasonable prices. They even have solid wood (rubber wood) that are very sturdy. IKEA is another place to look for new.
    Whether you buy used or new, always look underneath, open and close drawers and do the wiggle test (set on floor to check how sturdy the piece is) to make sure of the quality of the piece.
    Good luck!

  • 11 years ago
    Thanks @justgotabme. I've been looking at Target. Could you please help me with what color and style tables I should get for the room? I promise to leave you alone after that
  • 11 years ago
    Also go to HomeDecorators.com You can use Home Depot credit card and use the 12 months same as cash promos if over 300. Peek all the time as they pitch things over to the sale or throw out bin with free shipping and then set them back to the usual price. Be very careful what you chose as returns will be difficult. Customer service is pretty good on sending replacement parts...you do have to assemble some pieces. The photo is a picture of a demlune cabinet I got for the dog TV room. 130.00 delivered to the door. I could not see purchasing a really expensive piece for puppies to chew up or boy puppies pee on while house training. Read descriptions carefully to see what they are actually made of as well as reading reviews. I hope this helps.
  • 11 years ago

    Oh don't worry about bothering me. I love to help. Knowing your budget would help, as low budget to me could very well be different to you.

  • 11 years ago
    I would say 100-250 on each piece of furniture.
  • 11 years ago

    Thank you. I'll add Overstock to the mix then too. Give me a few minutes and add some links.


  • 11 years ago

    Here we go.
    Overstock:
    Taryn Brown Cherry Occasional Tables $349.99/set of three.
    Galaxy Espresso Occasional tables $344.49/set of three.

    Christopher Knight Home Melrose Bonded Leather Ottoman $145.99
    Walnut Finish Wood Side Table $107.49 each
    Valencia Open Shelf End Table $126.99 each

    No time to look for more, but maybe I can look more later. If you have Marshal's, TJMaxx, Home Goods and other such stores, they too are a great source for reasonably priced living room tables.






    faddu1 thanked User
  • 11 years ago
    I've found some fantastic pieces at places like Kiwanis and Goodwill.Best thing is that old furniture is better made than what low end furniture stores sell.If you can paint or refinish then you can find some great pieces.Ive found many pieces that I didn't have to do anything to.Craigslist is also great .
  • 11 years ago

    Exactly why I check used furniture first, sanje1961.

  • 11 years ago
    @justgotabme

    Thanks for the links and all your help! I will post an after pic when I am done!
  • 11 years ago
    @justgotabme

    Thanks for the links and all your help! I will post an after pic when I am done!
  • 11 years ago
    @justgotabme

    Thanks for the links and all your help! I will post an after pic when I am done!
  • 11 years ago
    @justgotabme

    Thanks for the links and all your help! I will post an after pic when I am done!
  • 11 years ago
    Some art, green indoor plants in the corners, a deep red (or light grey if red is too extreme) rug in front of the sofa, maybe some grey floral printed cushions if your rug is red or red cushions if your rug is grey. Very elegant furniture I think.
  • 11 years ago
    Pls read pink or plum or violet instead of red above
  • 11 years ago

    You're welcome. I'll be looking forward to the results.

  • 11 years ago
    Btw I am thinking to make this room a showcase of my travels. We've travelled to many different counties and brought back lots of diff trinkets. I also want to make a gallery wall of pictures from our travels. Would this work?
  • 11 years ago

    I love the idea of a gallery wall. I think it would work perfectly on the wall where you originally had the chairs.

  • 11 years ago
    @justgotabme sooo I painted my walls this past week. It's a grey color. I can't seem to attach pics here. But now I'm thinking to do white colored furniture and frames for gallery wall.
  • 11 years ago
    So..it looks like the room is not overly large,however you have great natural light. I would put the two chairs along the wall where you have sofa (in initial photo) and place sofa in front of window. Since you are thinking about spotlighting your travel collection, using pictures and trinkets in the room I would put down a rug that has an eclectic feel, with a color/colors of the fabric the chairs.( by the way..I love those chairs!) get some nice down blend pillows, get a couple in med-large size, and a few in smaller different shapes. ( TJ Max has reasonable prices) not all of the pillows should be solid, mix it up a bit but stick with same color groups found in rug and chairs, not too busy of patterns, to tie them all together. The wall where you showed the chairs in initial photo would be an excellent space to showcase your travel photos. My advice is to use only one color of frame for all pictures, different sizes and all with straight lines, square, rectangle but no round etc. this will keep the wall from looking so crazy that the pictures get lost. Ya know what I mean? Anyway, a corner table with a cool lamp next to the sofa, or if you use two lamps, use different lamps but made in similar color and material. It's a mix of your life and with you being a traveler the only thing that should be the same are the two chairs. Use a small table between those chairs, move the close to the sofa, not right next to it, and pull away from the wall somewhat. Furniture should sit on and along the edge of rug. So get the right size without covering the entire carpet. If you place the furniture as I have suggested you could get another chair, different style than the others, solid color and set it on the other side of area across from chairs, leaving room for a cool cocktail/coffee table for all to use. Maybe get get a small side table to go next to the single chair, large enough to set a drink on. Hang a nice pice of art above the chairs and you would be fine. Don't use red! : )
  • 11 years ago
    @auntqueenie I'm thinking white frames and coffee table? I'm not sure what other color would look nice. What do you think of this coffee table?

    http://m.cb2.com/display-coffee-table/s334997

    For curtains too not sure of what color. For some reason it won't let me attach a pic on here :(
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    How about a large painting or giclee print to tie it all together. See this one I did for a home decorated by Design the Senses. www.ldanielsart.com Lisa Daniels

    House of Phoenix - Giclee Print · More Info