Software
Houzz Logo Print
mohneek66

Help!! My Mid-Century Modern needs Help

11 years ago

I am finally at the point where I can paint and make my MCM feel like the MCM in which it was designed. I know I want to add the horizontal feel and need to add a fence. Any suggestions on a door, landscaping and steps? The red door has got to go, and so will the cage around the front door as soon as I paint. Open to all suggestions. Thanks in advance!


Comments (10)

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Corner lots put you on display, don't they. It may be difficult to receive advice from this one photo.

    My initial questions are: 1) Where does your house end on the left - just beyond the red doorway, or over beyond the green siding? 2) What is the dark gray area between the front shrubs and the front window? Is that a terrace, a planter, or something temporary?

    The black-walled stair does not seem to be related architecturally to your beautiful home.

    The only advice I can offer without a clearer picture of your property, is that I would plant groundcovers for the entire property from the black stairway all the way to the garage driveway.

    Give us more photos so we can admire this great home, and tell us your location.

    Thanks, we will look forward to it.

    cascio.offsite@gmail.com


    Monique Harrell thanked Cascio Associates - Site Planning - Landscape Arch
  • 11 years ago

    Sorry for uploading not so great photos..Here are a few better ones that should show the house a little better


    Here's a better photo. To the far left near the Bird of Paradise tree is a gate (black)..To the left of that is the neighbors house, which has now been painted green..I plan on removing the palm trees which currently reside in the front of the black block wall. as you walk up the stairs (that need to be replaced or resurfaced) you run into another black block wall..

    The front door also has a solid piece of glass..I'm stuck between installing one large door, but what do I do with the glass on the side..Help!! Thanks for your advice and assistance!


  • 11 years ago

    You can remove the sidelight and door. Get one door with two sidelights. Use frosted glass in the sidelights. Paint the door turquoise.

    What color are you planning for your house?

    What style of fence? Do you plan on fencing the whole property?

  • 11 years ago

    Here is a nice fence design I found on HOUZZ. [https://www.houzz.com/photos/christensen-remodeling-midcentury-exterior-milwaukee-phvw-vp~1501089[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/christensen-remodeling-midcentury-exterior-milwaukee-phvw-vp~1501089)

    Also the wood siding on the MCM homes are stained, not painted. Would it be possible to strip the paint off your siding or replace it with a stained siding?

    The steps can be made in a stained concrete to match your house paint.

    Good luck I love your house.


  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Ouch - painting? fencing? I hope not! The gray/black and white appear very appropriate to the architecture. The front steps just need the left wall to be full height of the entire stair to hold back the slope, on the right side just the height of each step, plus a hand rail on the left wall. My initial comment was regarding the stepped wall, not it's color.

    Perhaps I need to understand your situation better to know why you want to compete with the architecture with a fence. The front yard is no place for a dog or a child, so what would you fence in. Perhaps you are referring to the rear yard, that we have not been priviledged to see.

    Love your house.

    If you need help with the planting, better ask someone who can walk around it, as I would just advise total groundcover for all the beds, no open ground. If you like the vertical shrubs outside the front door, add more of the same, so it is a continuous hedge for a more comfortable and private entry terrace, and less of a vehicular view out the windows

    I did not see any street lights, so be sure to light your stairway, if not already in place.

    cascio.offsite@gmail.com

    Monique Harrell thanked Cascio Associates - Site Planning - Landscape Arch
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Thank you all for your comments. I don't plan on putting a fence in the front of the house, but I am going to put up a fence in the rear of the house and the side of the house on the corner because I am repairing a dilapidated deck. I want to install a fence in the rear and the side to fit the home and that has opened Pandora's box. The black facade is termite damaged and rotting, so it needs to be replaced. I like the look of stained horizontal wood, but I want to move from black. There is a walkway as you walk up stairs that walks along the black facade

    This is the side area where i am replacing the deck and adding a fence up to the setback


    This is the side of the house where the deck will be replaced and extended. This area has recently been cleared out, with the exception of the oak tree to the right. For privacy and security (on a busy street) I'd like to install a fence on this side of the house, as well as in the rear of the house..See photo below

    The fence belongs to my uncooperative neighbor, so I will be putting up my own fence , as this fence has become a hazard…

    Suffice to say, I have quite a bit of work to do, a limited budget, but I will address each issue at a time. I just want to make sure I'm keeping with the style of the home…Thanks so much for the advice..I love this site. I'm learning so much!!

  • 11 years ago

    Can't wait to see the inside. Fabulous home!

    Monique Harrell thanked tfitz1006
  • 8 years ago
    Help! We just purchased this home and need ideas for exterior paint colors. I hate this outdated brick and want paint it white. Good or bad idea?
  • 8 years ago
    Abbytsmom start a new thread since this post is 3 years old. I’m in the camp that will say to not paint your brick. A new quality front door and retractable screen door (so essentially no screen door) will go a long way.