Software
Houzz Logo Print
frdxon23s

Need advice on picking a rug for my formal room (Pictures included)

11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago

Found a rug for this room I am thinking of but want to get some opinions as it's a larger purchase (10x14 would fit under the front feet and then a few inches of the chairs and sofa)

Attached a room photo, some furniture pieces in the room, and rug I was going to purchase

Thank you guys!

Comments (27)

  • 11 years ago

    Hello Carolyn,


    Great idea on the 9'x12' it seems like that cuts it shy just a little bit. I taped the room out and it seems the 10' wide does eat up the room a 9'x13' (harder to find) seems to be the answer.


    What do you guys think?


  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    You could actually pull the sofa away from the wall just a bit. The rug is very traditional and the furniture has a bit of a Moroccan flair - how do you feel about that coffee table? I can't see it well but it doesn't seem to match the dark, rich feel you are going for with the furniture and rug.

    I'm okay with a 10x14 because I like the look of the rug extending beneath the furniture. I think with your décor, it would be better, too.

    The only thing I would ask regarding the rug is if it will clash with the sofa. The chairs are pretty neutral but the sofa - in these pictures - has a pinkish/coral cast. The rug looks rich and burgundy. If you're buying locally, get some paint chips that match the prominent colors of the sofa and take them with you when looking at the rug.

    I edited because I saw your taped off pic. That would work really well.

    And to throw out something else, this rug has a bit of the coral from the sofa and the gold from the walls


  • 11 years ago

    I have some end tables and a new coffee table on order =) Love the paint chips idea I'll definitely try that out or get some fabric samples of what I do have.

    Images of rugs seem so different than when you see them in person.


    Did it here with a 9x13 size photoshop mockup


  • PRO
    11 years ago
    What size is taped on the floor?
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    @Carolyn - 9'x13' taped on the floor where it still reaches all the front feet and has a good amount of floor showing. I measured out for 9'x12' but I would have to push the chairs too close together

  • 11 years ago

    here's a 9'9 x 13'0


  • 11 years ago

    this one is 9'9 x 13'1


  • 11 years ago

    this one is 10'7 x 13'4


  • 11 years ago
    Jason as a rule you should have approximately 2 feet all the way around your rug to the walls. In a room that is oblong and you're using a rug under a sitting area or particular area the furniture usually sits on the rug. Doesn't have to be that way but if it's too small for the area it will be swallowed up by the furniture.
  • 11 years ago

    Awesome ideas guys I will definitely go back to the drawing board on this one. @Eightpondfarm I really like that rug design just without the black in there good to go. Thank you everyone for all your insight and help

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    don't let them get you down with their "dated" comments. (irony being that the term itself is so passe' ) your decor should reflect your feeling of contentment not someone else's idea of what is fashionable. i love your vibe!

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks @Eight Lol I don't mind the dated comments I am going for my certain look and everyone should have their own taste and opinions in one direction or another =) I just think I might be eating up the room with a larger rug that is also darker for the majority.


    Off subject but if you like the style check out our bedroom got a bunch of work done on it this week still more items on order


  • 11 years ago

    there's no black in the paisley rug. it's fairly colorful actually...some close up shots:


  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I don't know who you are referring to, eightpondfarm, but I think you could refrain from saying anyone is making idiotic dated comments. You posted SEVERAL alternative pictures, so I find it odd that you would then chastise anyone else for doing so by trying to shame us saying "your décor should reflect your feeling of contentment not someone else's idea of what is fashionable."

    If you truly believed that, you would not have offered options.

    Anyway.....

    I'm a Libra and color is a very important thing for us. You want to know if your sock is navy or black? Ask a Libra! We're so caught up in it that we can even tell you if the blacks match... :) Jason, I love the richness of the rug you chose but merely stated a concern that the sofa might be too coral. PC monitors are the WORST for making these determinations! You said you were worried about making the purchase if it wasn't quite right so that was why I asked. If you aren't too concerned with returning the rug ONLY if it is too jarring, then make that purchase! Good luck!

    EDIT: Jason, I was writing this as you posted. I LOVE that bed - truly gorgeous. I'm hoping you have some rich pillows for the sofa on order. It looks a little left out of the party!

  • 11 years ago


  • 11 years ago

    While the paisley rug is pretty and I've seen it in the house of someone else on Houzz, I'm betting it is not the feeling Jason is going for. I'm seeing Moroccan, Gothic, Dark, Rich... On that note, how attached to the rug in the bedroom are you? That light color makes the bed look like it's floating and pulls the attention from that beautiful bed.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    doubtful you've seen that rug as it's handmade and one of a kind. but that's neither here nor there. i am showing a selection available in the size requested. mostly so OP can see there are some fun 'real' ( rather than a reproduction) oriental rugs for that traditional look. this one is 9'11 x 13'7

  • 11 years ago

    close up of above:


  • 11 years ago

    found a lovely one for your bedroom:


  • 11 years ago

    close up of it...


  • 11 years ago

    Moroccan you say?? ! well, here a dose of that: 9'11 x 13'3

  • 11 years ago


  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    eightpondfarm, thank you for calling me a liar. Your smug reproofs keep coming. I'd happily point you to the thread but I'm sure the woman I've been talking with would be happier without your input. It's amazing that you seem completely unaware of what style the OP is going for - you pushed that paisley 3 times!

    Jason, please forgive me. I don't like it when these threads denigrate to this so I'll excuse myself. I think you are on the right track - we share similar tastes in furniture - and you should move forward with whatever speaks to you. I'm sure you will find yourself with a beautifully appointed home.


  • 11 years ago

    last one 9'11 x 13'0


  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    there are so many other styles that would work as well as these traditional ones. but that ziegler that was in the OP has an oriental look so i went with that.... haven't even touched on the geometric styles, (nomadic/tribal styles)... but they exist in profusion!

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Eightpond, I'm curious as to what is the latest term for "dated"?

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH