Software
Houzz Logo Print
victoriaelizabethbarnes

Repurposed or nontraditional, islands/storage?

If you did something non-traditional I’d love to see it! I searched the forums and didn’t find the kind of “show me your” thread I was expecting.

We are DIY-ing an 1890 Victorian house, and I wanted to use something antique/unusual/unexpected somewhere in our kitchen remodel… I finally found it in the form of an antique square piano that we are repurposing into the kitchen island.

Picture is not quite finished!! Husband built drawers which still need their fronts… (not to mention getting the flooring installed.)


Comments (35)

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Modest and Quirky kitchens

    More Modest and Quirky kitchens (when thread length was limited)

    Salvaged/recycled kitchens (some overlap with modest and quirky)

    These are a few threads with some repurposed items. We modified a marble- topped dining table in much the same way, so this subject is near-and-dear to my heart. ;)

    That will be a unique and beautiful part of your kitchen!

    Editing to add: Until I clicked your link for more info, I didn't realize I'd read--and truly enjoyed--your blog. I love your sense of humor!

  • 11 years ago

    Love your island! That is going to be fab and so matches your personality!

    How's this for quirky? A Steel Bouy Work Table


  • 11 years ago

    What are you going to do with the first part he took out of the piano - with keys and pads? I think it would be cool to hang as art on a wall.


  • PRO
    11 years ago

    MamaGoose-- years of searching on craigslist has failed to yield the school cabinet I've been looking for since I saw yours. You are my repurposed kitchen idol.

    Allison-- still thinking about how to reuse the innards... lamp shades over the island? Not sure it's truly my style, but I think it's fun idea.

    pinterest


  • 11 years ago

    This is over on the decorating forum (it's in Houzz, too) Aren't you planning something similar? (Not the island, it's too small, too boring, and too clattery)

  • 11 years ago

    Not loving the lamp shade. I think you need something not wood and not related to the piano. I still vote for wall art.


  • 11 years ago

    What a fabulous idea! Although I have to admit that as a mediocre pianist, my heart skipped a beat about dismantling a piano. I'm guessing/hoping it was beyond repair. :)

    And I love Allisons idea of using the parts for some art or some other re-purpose. And that steel bouy work table is all kinds of cool.

    Thanks, Mama Goose, to alerting me to Victoria's blog. I'm bookmarking it. And, yes, delightful humor and creativity there! Also thanks for the links to those awesome quirky discussions. I'm bookmarking it to read later, too. Fun, fun, fun!

  • 11 years ago

    I can't find the right search terms, but Lavender Lass has a dresser she is planning to use in her baking center, with a marble top. It's adorable!

  • 11 years ago

    Thank you, VictoriaElizabeth, I think you must save some of the white keys to make wooden oven rack pullers, as gifts for all the neighbors ... and all the teachers your children will ever have ... and giveaways for your blog... and ... ;)


  • 11 years ago

    I love your piano/island! Great idea! Will you use a repurposed slab of marble? What about using part marble and part butcherblock cutting board?

    My kitchen is so small that I have to use every square inch for storage. Currently, I have an Ikea island (about 24" x 36") with a wood top and open shelves that I want to replace with a repurposed antique washstand with a marble top.

    Once I find this mystical creature, I'm going to add wheels to bring it up to counter height. I've found a few washstands with the right dimensions, but nothing yet with a marble top. I'm hoping to find a washstand with a drawer on top and a lower cabinet with a single shelf inside the cabinet. It has to be sturdy enough to hold baking and roasting pans.

    I'll post photos when I find it. I love the idea of repurposed islands. Repurposing is very green!


  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Love, love it!!!

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Shower fixture made from old copper water pipe.

    http://www.waterbugdesign.com/feydeau/Bathysphere/shower1.jpg

  • 11 years ago

    Porthole window made with a car wheel and glass block.
    http://www.waterbugdesign.com/feydeau/Bathysphere/port.jpg


  • 11 years ago

    That's a beautiful island!!

    How's this for piano key art.


  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    There is a kitchen done with an old piano used as as island and some other ideas as well. Also in a Victorian. Old Piano Kitchen.

  • 11 years ago

    Wow!

  • 11 years ago

    We are turning an old baptismal font into our island. I have been following your blog posts and I am jealous because you are moving WAY faster than we are!

    I think I will be posting soon looking for advice on a prep sink.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    funkycamper— yes, it was non-working! it was one of my (many) criteria!!

    bpathome— loving that dresser!! attaching a (sort of) similar picture I found in my roundup of repurposed ideas.


    rococogurl— (your name!!) that kitchen is pretty much my dream!

    hatethecold_gw— LOVE your island!!

  • 11 years ago

    Elizabeth, have you seen this new thread with a GFT bookcase? Here's a Different Kitchen


  • 11 years ago

    BEAUTIFUL!!!!

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Very fun thread... linking to one of the funniest home reno blogs I have ever read. I was exposed to it on GW, on a thread about the toll renovation can take on relationships. There's some hysterical stuff in the archives about her own marriage's dynamics as they renovate their victorian and as she gets caught up in one fixation or another. Very relatable and witty. If you have 8 hours to kill, I highly recommend it. It's as gratifying as a good Netflix binge...except harder to get your spouse to tune in to the funny bits.

    Oh, and this piano island looks to be an amazing work in progress. As for me? I'm pining for the actual piano. Argh, I miss having a piano. The woes of a small house!

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    steph2000-- finally getting back to this thread, and I want you to know that you MADE MY DAY. xoxo times 10,000.

    Allison-- I had NOT seen that bookcase, and I'm bright green with envy.

  • 11 years ago

    Sorry it's upside down but my repurposed bakers table. It was a trashed piece I found on Craigslist and I refinished it.

  • 11 years ago

    This blogger used an antique candy store counter as an island:


    http://www.theartofdoingstuff.com/my-kitchen-the-reveal/

  • 11 years ago

    @1890 Here's a larger picture.


  • 11 years ago

    Love the piano!
    I converted an old television cabinet into a kitchen cabinet.



  • 11 years ago

    We're going to remove "The Hulking Monstrocity Formerly Known as Our Island" and replace it with this antique mahogany store counter. The plan is to top it with the same soapstone we'll be using for our countertops and farmhouse sink.

  • 11 years ago

    Working side of island!

  • 11 years ago

    Martyphilpot-that mahogany piece is stunning. Oh my word, I just love it. And it has drawers!!!!

  • 11 years ago

    I'm so jealous of everyone's kitchens! We have a galley so I'm at least hoping to squeeze a butler's pantry in on one wall.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Just realized thaat a minute ago I posted this link in the wrong thread. So here is the 2nd try:

    Love the limey green color of this [tool chest island[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/grain-bin-residence-contemporary-kitchen-phvw-vp~19502961) in this unusual home:

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    LOVE all of these!