Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michellem7

Lounge room needs a fresh

michellem7
8 years ago
Here is my lounge room. I don't want to paint the walls but do you have any other suggestions to brighten and refresh this look?

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Belle Homes Design & Construction
    8 years ago

Hi Michelle, what beautiful natural light you have in this room. It makes me want to snuggle up with a book beside the window. I can't see other room alongside this one but it looks like you have a wall dividing the spaces. So forgive me if I've made some assumptions about the space. Basically, when decorating a room we need to decorate the top (ceiling, pendants, artwork on walls), the middle (furniture, floor lamps if necessary) and the floor level (rugs, coffee tables, ottomans).

This is what I would suggest. You need contrast with pops of either color or texture to balance out the neutral walls and neutral couch and carpet. If you're a neutrals kind of girl, then stick with a black/cream/brown palette in cushions, a throw and a rug. Yes you can have a rug on carpet, it's perfectly acceptable and often required. You also need artwork on those walls in the same palette.

I would also change your seating (provided it works with the other room) by moving the 2 single armchairs so they are opposite the couch. Rotate the coffee table so it runs parallel to the couch and introduce a long ottoman for extra seating parallel to the windows so you end up with a U shape furniture arrangement facing the TV.

If you're a colors girl, then bring in modern, geometric cushions and throw in the same colors with a mixture of black and white artwork and some color on the walls.

Or stick to one color, like blue (see artwork below) and keep it simple. It all depends on what you like and what your personality is comfortable around.

Throw in a pendant and voila you have a fabulous new room. Have fun.

I hope that helps! Good Luck Michelle!

Sense of Style Interiors xo

• wuff
    8 years ago
    Hi Michelle, taking down your window valance and replacing with sheers in front of your blinds, or just a small white wooden pelmet. I think the valance dates your lovely window and room.
  • PRO
    Frances Herrera Interior Design
    8 years ago
    1. I agree with taking down the valance which makes the space look dated.

2. Brightly colored pillows will surely freshen up the space.

3. hang artwork and lay an area rug in coordinating colors of the pillows you choose.

4. A side table and colored ceramic base table lamp would finish off your new refreshed look beautifully.

Hope my ideas help!
  • michellem7
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you all for your brilliant ideas. What do you think of the new and improved room?
  • mazpt
    8 years ago
    Looks great: those colours are a breath of fresh air!