Software
Houzz Logo Print
kopeika

Granite quote seems excessive

11 years ago

Cost to fabricate my granite $14,000? Is that typical? Contractor quote

Comments (31)

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    How much granite?

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    What color did you select? How many square feet do you have to install? Granite can be very cost effective and fit in a low budget, but you can also spend a whole lot.

    kopeika thanked Washington Marble Works
  • 11 years ago

    I'm sickened on both ends.


    kopeika thanked User
  • 11 years ago

    It's a small kitchen 12x15 with a small island. Don;t have exact measurement yet. I did a rough measure on the home depot site and came up with 55sf. does the granite choice effect the fabrication charge? I have 2 in mind. 1 is $1400 slab the other is $3700 slab.

  • 11 years ago

    Just so I understand - this isnt the cost of the granite, its just the cost of cutting out the sink/stove holes and cutting it to size for your countertops? $14K? Seriously???

    kopeika thanked simbersea2
  • 11 years ago
    That's crazy. Just finished getting quotes for mine which are 70 sqft and the quotes ranges from $3900-$7000 and that was installed, old cabinets removed, sink, and fabrication.
    kopeika thanked drballard33
  • 11 years ago

    I'd be finding someone else to do the job :) I'm replacing the granite in my kitchen. But I didnt want to throw out the old granite, so I'm reusing some of it in the laundry room. I got a quote of $1-2K to rework the granite into countertops for the laundry room, which is U-shaped and has counters on 3 walls. $14k seems really really high....

    kopeika thanked simbersea2
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Get at least three quotes.

    kopeika thanked Julia & Elizabeth
  • 11 years ago

    That is a lot..We have about 55sf for the basement bar area and we are using Cambria quartz, which is more expensive than granite..It costs us about 6k (material, cuts and installation)


    kopeika thanked printesa
  • 11 years ago
    14K seems extremely high! Generally fabrication quotes include the price of the stone. Even so, your job isn't that large. I'd be getting some other quotes before I went any further. I had an 80 sq. feet kitchen fabricated awhile back for about $7500. That included the cost of the stone.
    kopeika thanked abramsonka
  • 11 years ago

    Does your price include installation?

  • 11 years ago

    even with installation, 14k is extreme


    kopeika thanked printesa
  • 11 years ago
    I just had 70 sq feet of higher end quartz (usually more expensive than granite) with an upgraded edge installed for $6,000 which included everything--measure, install, and the slabs. I know I got a very good price, but it is nowhere near the ballpark of $14,000. Get a couple more prices from local retailers/installers.
    kopeika thanked D DN
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    We received a quote for not a great deal of countertop this year for White Maucabas and it was somewhere close to $15k. Obviously the homeowner changed to a granite and it ended up around $7k. Same fabricator quoted both. The material selection makes a huge difference.

    kopeika thanked Brickwood Builders, Inc.
  • 11 years ago

    My quote was for san cecelia granite which is very inexpensive. I was told I need 80sf and was quoted 14660 for fabrication and labor.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    That does seem incredibly high for Santa Cecelia. that didn't include things like tear out, backsplash, new sink...?

    kopeika thanked Washington Marble Works
  • 11 years ago

    includes the granite and installation.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Certainly would want to do some investigating on that one.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Are you buying the granite through the same company doing the fabrication?

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    are you being quoted through a designer or some other 3rd party?

  • 11 years ago

    get another quote. That's $183 per square foot!


  • 11 years ago

    I don't have them here, but I took 5 bids for my countertops -- and three of the companies calculated the wrong square footage estimates, despite getting complete drawings and measurements.


  • 11 years ago
    Yes that is a call from my contractor.
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    $14k seems Extremely high for Santa Cecilia. I'd get other quotes. I'd try to find a company that has the granite and fabricates it on site, rather than using a middle man. They may be up-charging you unnecessarily.

  • 11 years ago

    OK, I pulled up my quotes from my kitchen remodel last year. The granite people estimated from 59.4 to 63 square feet based on drawings and their measurements. The granite cost was $48 - $66 / sq foot, Installation was $15-$20/square foot. Cost for sink cutout was a flat $200-$350. Three charged for the edge treatment ($12 per lineal foot), 2 charged for back polishing the slab $10 per square foot for the waterfall (I had a modern waterfall to the floor). Basically with materials and installation, the cost was between $74/square foot installed to $91/square foot installed....and my granite was Santa Cecilia.


  • 11 years ago

    So the cost for your 80 square feet for my installers would have been between $6000 and $7250.


  • 11 years ago

    Thank you for all of your info. I will shop around. Makes me apprehensive to move forward with this contractor. my husband and I actually came up with 55sf. vs. 80-90.

  • 11 years ago

    That's the beauty of getting quotes -- you don't have to take ones that make no sense. Contractors will sometimes give you a crazy bid if they're really busy to discourage you. Take the hint and get three other bids.


  • 11 years ago
    Omg, I stopped in a granite place today. Super nice and they do fabrication AND installation. Gave me a quote. Looked at my drawing and estimated 59sf, remember I came up with 55 and my contractor said 80-90sf. Quote for a higher grade granite $3700. I literally started crying.
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Understand that if you have a contractor responsible for your project and you bypass them for your granite several things may happen. 1) You may be in violation of your contract - you should check what it says. 2) If you go around the contractor then the contract should specify what you are responsible for and what happens. Most likely you will need to understand everything that has to be done regarding the granite, responsible for meeting all parties, responsible for the GL and WC insurance relating to the granite material and the work of the fabricator, etc. etc.

Sponsored
AIS Renovations
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County, Ohio