Software
Houzz Logo Print
anne_eskridge

Dining Room Redo

11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago

I bought a new dining room table, chairs and sideboard and I need help with styling it. I have a tendency for using too much stuff. The flowers in the wine chiller on the sideboard are just for effect to see how it might look with flowers in it. Any suggestions for changes, additions, deletions, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Would a vase, bowl or platter on a stand look better on the sideboard? I'm really stumped. Also what do you think about the table?

Comments (27)

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Vicki: If I put the lamps on the mantle there is no way to plug them in. What would I do with the cords?

  • 11 years ago

    Your sideboard needs fewer pieces and you could do the lamps and the wine chiller only. This will be a formal look, moving the candles would look more relaxed, modern. The mantle does have too many things. Try moving the three candles there and put one of the floral arrangements on the other side.

    Anne Eskridge thanked Vicki Denson
  • 11 years ago

    Vicki, are you talking about the plant stand with the horse statue on the left? I placed it there because it made that side seem bare and off balance. Should I move a dining chair there instead.

  • 11 years ago

    Here are a few more options. I moved a pottery piece I have to the side board and played around with the left side. I also did some different options for the mantle. What do you think of any of these arrangements?

  • 11 years ago


    More mantle options.

  • 11 years ago

    I think I'd rather see the art at the mantel and the mirror hung 5" above the sideboard, but only if the chandelier will be reflected it it. I think the lamps are too tall to work anywhere in your room. Can they be "cut down" or converted to more candle holders? Since your pix are not enlarging I find it hard to see the details, but I am not a fan of the topiaries and would remove them entirely.

    Anne Eskridge thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 11 years ago

    Please think in terms of threes (instead of twos). 3 silver or crystal candleholders on one side of the mantle only would be better than a pair of twos. I do not think you want to keep the 3 candles down by the furnace vent. I personally like the lamps on the sideboard & do add the chair to the side as well.

    Anne Eskridge thanked sandradclark
  • 11 years ago

    I like the dining room set & the chandelier above as well.

    Anne Eskridge thanked sandradclark
  • 11 years ago

    I like the way the chandy reflects in the mirror above the fireplace.

    Anne Eskridge thanked sandradclark
  • 11 years ago

    Like the chair by the sideboard. Try the vase of flowers on the floor by the sideboard on the mantle and remove the green mini shrubs. The flowers will pull the red from the picture to the mantle. Choose 3 candle holders from the 5 I see in different pictures to go on the other side of the mirror, put the other 2 on the table with red candles in them, again pulling the red from your matador into other areas of the room.

    Anne Eskridge thanked Vicki Denson
  • 11 years ago
    Vicki, is this better?
  • 11 years ago
    Here are the pics. I don't think the other one posted.
  • 11 years ago

    Your doing great with the sideboard! Your mantle is narrower than I thought. Can you group those candles the same way you had them on the floor to one side of the mirror. The way they were grouped together was great, just want them off the floor so they can be better seen. Try the red glass vase on the other side, if the vase was twice in size it would be perfect and remove everything else. The goal is to have 3 similar items of varying heighth on one side of the mirror and an item in a bolder color on the other. The concept being 3 skinny items in a neutral shade will balance volume wise with one rounder item of a bold color, the color will fool the eye making it seem bigger.

    You have some lovely and beautiful things, but like you said in the begining you "have a tendency for using too much stuff".

    Anne Eskridge thanked Vicki Denson
  • 11 years ago

    Vicki, the mantle is only 7 inches deep and the bases of the candlesticks are almost that size. I could line the three up in a row on the left if you think that would look ok but there is no way to group them like they were on the floor. I could buy a larger red vase for the other side but I was just playing with things I already had. That beige vase on the stand at the right of the buffet won't fit (too deep).

  • 11 years ago

    I would keep the mantle decor simple. Click picture to enalrge.


    Anne Eskridge thanked Mark
  • 11 years ago

    The arrangement above is good. You may want to try other things you have in your home. Have you ever tried moving the picture over the mantle and put nothing on the mantle? I like your picture and your fireplace is more of a focal point than the sideboard. It would be seen first, first impressions and all.

    Anne Eskridge thanked Vicki Denson
  • 11 years ago
    Hi, I think the picture is too tall for the space but I'll measure to be sure.
    Anne Eskridge thanked pharm80
  • 11 years ago
    I also was thinking that the sideboard needed height to fill sure a large space since that wall is 12 ' long and the ceiling is 15'
    Anne Eskridge thanked pharm80
  • 11 years ago
    I like the two lamps. Do you have s mirror you can hang to open up the space . The flowers you do not need I think because the lamps are so grand . Mirrors are always great. So many designs and sizes.
    Anne Eskridge thanked nicole judge
  • 11 years ago
    Also, the Topiary on the table you do not need . The table is so pretty . The fireplace you are hiding with all those candles. You should take the mirror from Fire place and put over buffet, take photo and put on Fireplace. Remove most of the topiary and al the candle stands. They say less is more. To add height put the candles on the Dining room table it will balance with the lamps and the mirror. Open up the space . Open the Fireplace. I think each room should speak for itself and have one spot that gives wow punch while the invited crowd is always there and insinct. I am not a professional designer I just love color , and furniture and making these look pretty
    Anne Eskridge thanked nicole judge
  • PRO
    Anne Eskridge thanked Timothy Rivers Interiors
  • 11 years ago

    I was able to move the picture to over the mantle and the mirror over the buffet. Does this look better. Are there any ideas for improvements?

    Thanks,

    Anne

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

  • 11 years ago

    Love the change. Take one of the large vases on the top shelf of the other one and swap it out with the single candle stick, if one is green that's the one.

    Anne Eskridge thanked Vicki Denson
  • 11 years ago

    Vicki, are you talking about the vase on the top of the bookcase in the other room? It's brown but I think it would work. Thank you so much for your suggestions. I really like the picture over the mantle too.

  • 11 years ago

    Yes. Have fun.