Software
Houzz Logo Print
kilen548

Help With Paint Color

11 years ago
I want to paint the walls a gray color, but I'm unsure if it should be a light or dark gray. Opinions please? Paint brand and color suggestions welcomed.

Thank you

Comments (21)

  • 11 years ago
    what colors are the sofa and the two chairs. the sofa reads as if it is a grey green in the image, but I really think the current paint color affects the way we the rest of the colors look.

    the Grey in the carpet looks like it has blue undertones.
  • 11 years ago
    Kelly Dockery The couch is a blue/grayish color. The accent in the rug is light gray with black and white threads in it. Thank you
  • 11 years ago
    Hope this picture makes the color a little more clear
  • 11 years ago
    I think a light grey tone. They are making such beautiful Grey tones now! I use to hate grey, but the new colors are so beautiful . Grey is the new beige !
  • 11 years ago

    I think grey walls will be too much grey. (And you have several shades of grey going on.) Perhaps a light taupe to pick up that colour in the chairs. Can you beef up the baseboards and add crown moulding?

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I would definitely go a little darker with the grey and use the tone in the rug as your guide. The darker walls will offset the lighter grey sofa and the pattern of the chair fabric.

  • 11 years ago
    Mikesmudder Thank you :) I'm trying to stay away from taupe since the majority of the house is painted that color.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Try Revere Pewter by Benjamin Moore. I think the color would look great with your chairs...not sure about your couch color, though. I would bring a cushion from you sofa and chair to the paint store and get some samples. Good luck.

  • 11 years ago

    I think grey walls would be too much grey. Where do you live? How big is your room? Is your room open to other rooms? Do you have lots of light? How high is your ceiling? What are you accessories? I would take all those into consideration.

    Too much grey can be depressing. So if you think your room can handle all that grey go with the lightest grey possible so there is a strong contrast between your furniture and wall.


  • 11 years ago

    A bluish gray along the lines of your sofa color would be very attractive.

    Go to the paint store and get all the gray and bluish gray and grayish blue paint swatches you can so you can match the color to your sofa. You could then go a shade or two lighter if you want an open and airy look, or a shade darker for a more dramatic look. You could even so an accent wall with the dark color if you so choose.

    You'll want to get paint samples along with either poster boards or small pieces of sheet rock [sold in the paint section of big box stores] to test your colors on so you can move them around the room. If the colors you got don't work, keep searching. It took me 3 weeks and 5 paint samples to figure out what color to paint my bathroom as it has a multicolored vinyl floor. The work was worth it as I came up with just the right color!

    The thing you need to keep in mind about light grays is that they have a lot of lavender in them so they read purple in certain light. You see a lot of threads on here about that. You can see the purple in the grays if you fan them together like a hand of cards and hold them in bright light.

  • 11 years ago
    Thank you all for the replies!

    The room is the front room in our house. I'm not sure of the dimensions. I'll have to measure when I return home later. The ceiling is a 9 feet tall. I have a buffet on the other wall and the room that you will come to after this room is the powder room, which is a light blue with gray and black accents.
    Not much light in the room. It's a picture window but not much sun comes in. So it will be illuminated by lamps.
    I live in Michigan.
  • 11 years ago
    Ignore the accessories on the buffet. I removed those.
  • 11 years ago
    More information:
    ~The room is 13x15
    ~Yes, I'm changing the window treatment
    -I'm also adding another piece of furniture in front of the window. Not sure what yet.
  • 11 years ago

    If you want all grey, go for it. You really do need some lively accent colors however

    18" Solid Gold Porcelain Garden Stool · More Info

    Infinity Coffee Table · More Info

    Solid Velvet Piping Throw Pillow, Yellow and White, 20" · More Info

    Crewel Embroidery Pillow With Pair of Birds, Orange · More Info

    iMax IK Nodia Thai Silk Pillow w/ Down Fill X-17124 · More Info

    iMax Indian Summer Grey Pillow · More Info

    Daisy Decorative Pillow, Linden · More Info

  • 11 years ago

    Also check Ikea for some grommet top drapes to install from just below the ceiling down to the floor. Ikea sells by the pair not by the panel as most stors do. Get anything but grey! I suggest off-white

    Modern Stripe Drapery, Single Panel, Red and Orange · More Info

    Bright Aqua Faux Linen Custom Grommet Drapery Single Panel · More Info

  • 11 years ago
    Sandradclark I agree, I do need some lively colors. I'm starting to get frustrated with this project.

    Thank you
  • 11 years ago
    Bump for more replies please
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Colors are difficult on a monitor but how about a pale, silvery gray like this Benjamin Moore Night Mist. http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/nightmist?OVMTC=Exact&site=&creative=19618973273&OVKEY=benjamin+moore+night+mist&url_id=133298063&device=c&devicemodel=&gclid=COu9kNHw7sUCFUuRHwodi6IAbQ I think a small, upholstered bench with short arms would look pretty in front of your window. Another place to sit but it wouldn't block the light. A pretty, flush mount light fixture to replace your current one would help complete the glam look you have going. The Possini Euro Chrome Crystal flush mount fixture from Lamps Plus would add a touch of sparkle. http://www.lampsplus.com/products/possini-euro-chrome-crystal-strands-flushmount-ceiling-light__96536.html?cm_mmc=CHIG-SH--NA--NA-_-96536&sourceid=DFCHIG96536&kpid=96536&gclid=CNL4zcXv7sUCFdcWHwodo5wAog. New draperies, along with a few pillows for your sofa and some art over the sofa and you're finished. Hope this helps. Good luck!

  • 11 years ago
    katinparadise I love that light fixture! I must have. Thanks for the advice
  • 11 years ago

    You're very welcome. Good luck finishing up your project!