Software
Houzz Logo Print
greenfish1234

Bed molding: yea or nay?

11 years ago
Having 2nd thoughts about this bed, or crown, molding on the top of my window casing. It seems a bit much. Upstairs and in the back of the first floor, where ceilings are low, we went with 5/4 flat stock only as a header, and I love it. The ceilings aren't very high here either, as you can see, and it is just bothering me a bit. I really dread asking the carpenters to remove it at this point... What do you think? First pic is in kitchen, there will be a counter below. Another consideration is that the kitchen cabinets will touch the ceiling and have crown, where these do not touch the ceiling, and may bring the eye up and down and up and down?

Comments (24)

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I like simple and I find the crown molding a pain when trying to choose window coverings , if it bothers you have it removed

  • 11 years ago
    Well.. I love what you have done. Sometimes in a new build or remodel, we begin to obsess over the details- wondering if we made the right call. Months later it all goes away! Kinda like childbirth! Haha. Relax, get decorating and enjoy! It's all good!
  • 11 years ago
    Miacomet, you are so right!! I obsess over decisions, make them, then obsess over whether I made the right decision. It is ridiculous!!
  • 11 years ago
    Patricia, window coverings is a great point. I can't hang curtains in the kitchen, and the widows are too shallow for inside mounted hardware...
  • 11 years ago

    What look are you going for? This is a very traditional look. If you want something more transitional you should have it removed. I'm building a house too so I feel your pain. But now is the time to have things changed, not after you move in.

  • 11 years ago

    The moulding is lovely. Leave it.

  • 11 years ago
    Funny. These evenly divided comments echo my own inner dialogue exactly. I guess I will make the final call when the cabinets are hung, but by then more windows be trimmed out! Thanks for the comments!
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Greenfish, the longer you wait, the more it will cost to redo and it may cause a delay in your build schedule.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    The small crown adds a formal traditional twist vs the casual look which is upstairs. If your space is more casual then remove it. However note that the little crown adds architectural detail to the space, I noticed you have no crown molding.

  • 11 years ago

    if you arent planning on hanging long panels, i like the bed molding. otherwise it will be very plain.

  • 11 years ago
    Thanks for the input! nnigrt good point, I hadn't planned panels for the French doors and it does dress them up. However as previously mentioned, dressing the kitchen windows will be a challenge. I assumed there would be crown at the ceiling, but apparently it wasn't planned and I have to request it if I want it. It would be too close to the windows and doors with the bed molding, don't you think? And would it have to match the crown of my cabinets?

    RE: my style, it will be a mix of formal and informal, if that makes any sense. I guess transitional is a good description. Beat-up farmers table, oriental carpets, unfinished reclaimed beams, soapstone countertops, looking to introduce some bright colors too (lead candidate for new armchair fabric attached)
  • 11 years ago
    Ok. What do we think now that the
  • 11 years ago
    Oops trying to post pics of the windows with the new cabinets. The new iPhone app has a glitch that won't allow. Will post later from computer.
  • 11 years ago
    Do they look better/worse with cabinet trim? How the heck do you dress these windows??
  • 11 years ago

    Blinds, roller or Roman

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I like them. They would be lost without the trim. Do the triple window the same. Then use very simple roman shade.

  • 11 years ago
    Thanks! roman shade mounted inside? It wouldn't look too small on the smaller windows? I do love roman shades but worried that the trim changes the size perception of an inside mounted shade, ie makes it look puny.
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    This is sort of what I was thinking. You can see these are on different size windows throughout the room.

    Dutch Made painted inset cabinetry · More Info

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I like the trim on them. Not all of the windows will need to be covered, will they? Unless I had neighbors that could look in the windows, I'd leave them bare. Take your time with them and you'll figure out what you need and what you can do, as you begin to live with them and shop. Did your chair fabric ever post?

  • 11 years ago
    I like the pic DB! The low-profile shade doesn't fight with the trim. Deco, you are correct that I don't need privacy on all windows, and before the re model we had decorative valances, and never wished for more privacy, so I will take your advice and take it slow!
  • 10 years ago

    I think the moldings above the windows are fine. I do not know what room is shown in the pictures, but you could have café tiers on a round rod that would be at the top of the bottom window (or the midway point) and then have café tiers down to the window sill. The window trim is beautiful so that you do not need anything else.

  • 10 years ago
    In my opinion the window trim looks great in both rooms. With your cabinets I really do like the extra trim, beautiful floors too!
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks! I am glad we went with the extra trim in the areas where we put it. We opted out where the ceilings are very low and upstairs, and I love the simple shaker look there, so it all worked out!