Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (7)

• Cole Harpell
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Alright, thanks, but I have 3 questions to ask, how many hives should I start with and what kind of feeders should I get for the hives, also how many of those feeders?

Thanks

• Cole Harpell
    Original Author
    8 years ago

OneNote info I jotted down

--------------------------------------------------

Equipment

10-Frame Hive - $150

Medium Super w/ frames - $60

Deep Box w/ frames - $70

Wood & Metal outer covers - $30

Wooden Inner covers - $10

Hive Stand - $90

Total - $450

• Cole Harpell
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hat/Veil Combo - $20

Cotton Jacket - $60

Nylon Pants - $30

Cowhide Gloves - $30

Total - $150

• Cole Harpell
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Smoker - $30

Hive Tool - $20

Queen Excluder - $20

Feeder - $10

Total - $100

• Cole Harpell
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Average amount of Honey per Hive - 50lbs (approx.)

Average amount of Money per Pound - $6.50 (approx.)

Average Total from Honey - $350 (approx.)

Three pounds of Bees - $150

Three pounds for 3 Hives - $450

10-frame Hive Total Cost - $450

Three Hives Total Cost - $1,350

• dawgdrvr
    8 years ago

Start off with 2 hives . Just incase one hive gets weak, you can steal brood from the other to boost its numbers.

If you have a jig saw or even a hand saw . Measure a Boardman feeder and cut away a piece of your rail on your bottom board and nail the feeder onto the back of your bottom board. that way any robber bees would have to make it to the rear of the hive to steal any sugar syrup .

2 per hive . one for syrup and the other for water.

I started out my 1st year with 2 unassembled deep hive bodies (15.99 ea.) one screened bottom (21.50) . telescoping lid (19.85) and frames (40 unassembled @ .87 each =$34.80) I built 4 more hives that year DIY . out of 1x12 pine and others out of 3/4' plywood. Go onto youtube, there is a wealth of knowledge on how to make boxes and other stuff on the cheap.

The 2 most important tools you should spend the most $$ on , Are your bee Veil and smoker. don't skimp on these! As far as the hive tool is concerned I use a 5-way painters tool that I bought at Home Depot for I think 3 bucks. And if you have a Harbor Freight near you grab one for $1.99 and a pair of white cotton painters bib overalls for $11. And as far as bees go. join you local Bee Assn, they can get you a lot better price on your bees . That and get on their swarm call list, and you will have soooo many bee calls you wont have enough equipment to hive them all and you give away 5 out of 6 swarms per week . This year and last I have been getting so many swarm calls that I shut my phone off after 2;00 PM

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz