Software
Houzz Logo Print
emerogork2

Milky Spore VS GrubEx?

11 years ago

I stopped using Grubex when I learned that it also kills off Katydids, crickets, clickbugs and things that sing in the gardens. I realized a silent Spring many years ago and stopped using it.

Of course the grubs returned along with critters that dig up the lawn.

I put down Milky Spore and look forward to it being in full effect in a year or two although I believe it is already working.

Question is that I still have more and want to continue putting it down. I heard that it has no effect unless it is put down in the fall. This makes no sense to me because there is no reason to match the application with the bug cycle as it will find its way throughout the soil not unlike a mushroom (I believe it actually is.)

Anyone with experience with this?

The best part about this is that it will spread throughout the neighborhood even if others are not using it!


Comments (6)

  • 11 years ago

    Milky spore is actually a bacterium that targets Japanese beetle larvae. It can be applied any time the ground is not frozen but is most effective in late summer-fall as that is when the grubs are most actively feeding. Once the grubs consume the spores and are infected and die, their decaying bodies release billions of new spores that spread and infiltrate in other parts of the garden. The spread of the spore is really dependent on the grubs eating the stuff and spreading it around, so summer/fall applications have the most benefit. However the product has a long shelf life, so if not needed or used now, it can keep in a cool, dry situation until next season.

  • 11 years ago

    Milky Spore Disease, " Paenibacillus popilliae", is a passive method of control, the targets must ingest it. When you apply it to the soil does not make much difference as long as the spores are where the grubs can ingest them after they hatch around August. Like other bacteriums used to control insects MSD is effective for only a short period of the grubs life, shortly after hatching.

    kimmq is kimmsr

  • 11 years ago

    if you insist on going all natural.. and protecting nature...

    ask yourself.. why you insist on a non native perfect lawn ...

    might make you head hurt

    plant some clover.. and various other weeds i call a lawn in my former horse pasture ... and you dont have to worry about things attacking your monoculture ...

    ken


  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    "Like other bacteriums [sic] used to control insects MSD is effective for only a
    short period of the grubs life, shortly after hatching."

    Maybe you are saying that it is effective on the grub only when the grub is a new born. From what I have read, it can remain active in the soil for 15 years or more just waiting to kill a grub after it spreads it.

    I wonder if it makes any difference when the spore is applied, not when it is effective.

  • 11 years ago

    You can apply Milky Spore Disease anytime the soil is not frozen and it will be effective, eventually. Since the target grubs hatch from the eggs in August you do want to be sure you apply it in time that the spores are where the grubs will ingest them, so like July, maybe June. Applying MSD in late August will have little affect on the current years crop of grubs since it would be unlikely that the spores would reach the grubs before they grew too big for the disease to have an affect on them.

    kimmq is kimmsr

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting