Software
Houzz Logo Print
chandra_channycozy

Zucchini Help!

11 years ago

Hi everyone!

New to the community. I am having a host of problems and challenges in my garden this year. :-/ The only thing that has grown strong thus far is my zucchini and today I noticed that my new fruits look like the picture!!! I am also seeing small white spots that kinda look like mildew or mold on the leaves...

What am I doing wrong? How much water should zucchini get? The zucchinis have been HUGE and very yummy.... but now I am afraid my plant is in danger.


On another note.... my bell pepper plants are growing SLOWLY... they are alive and starting to flower, but very small still. Same with my heirloom tomato plants! (which are in pots). When I was in hot and humid Houston everything grew without any trouble. And now that I am back in LA where the weather is supposed to be perfect, Im having trouble!

Someone please help!!


Comments (15)

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I'm having the exact same problem with the same plants in Northern California.

    Chandra ChannyCozy thanked epfevercm
  • 11 years ago

    yeah, they started off magnificent! (as in this pic) now all of my new blooms are resulting in this. :-/ I have one on there right now that looks like it is trying to make it.....


    Hopefully an expert can help us!!! :)

  • 11 years ago

    anyone? I think too much water after doing research.... but I could use some help with my stunted growth bells.

    :)

  • 11 years ago

    where are you ... and whats the ambient weather been ...

    i am sure .. there is a very active veg forum ... if you dont get much here ...

    how about a pic of the plant ...

    powdery mildew is common on these types of plants ... zucchi.. pumpkin... etc ... cant think of the family name ... cubits or something ... ????

    ken


  • 11 years ago

    I think I gave mine too much water too. How often were you watering? Have they gotten better since you've backed off?

  • 11 years ago

    Likely lack of pollination. You can take the place of the bees by spreading pollen from the males to the females.


  • 11 years ago

    I have mine in all organic soil, soil booster and Ive use vegetable food from EB Stone. This may be a dumb question, but how do you spread pollen from the males to the females yourself?

    @ Chandra... Do yours have really drooping leaves and stems? See pics of mine below.

  • 11 years ago

    @epfevercm Your first picture definitely is what I am seeing now, but so far no dropping leaves. The plant itself still looks very strong ....

    @kimmsr like the poster above, I have used all organic soil for vegetables, about 1 foot deep. My watering probably has been inconsistent as I am afraid of overwatering and not watering enough!!! The leaves look wilty in the hot afternoon sun (80's & 90s here) so then I water the next morning. I was watering 6 days and off one day. Now I am trying to water 2 days and then off the 3rd.

    As for the drought, I am the most conservative user of water I know and have had great habits for 15 years! We have fines of $500+ if we do not cut water consumption and there is no chance I will be fined. I forgo other luxuries to save water for my veggies and animals! :)

  • 11 years ago

    ok, its not looking good for me! I have eased up on the watering and now water two days, off the next. I dont over saturate either, just a good watering. Check out what the plant looks like now.... Im also having spotted leaves which look a little like spots of mildew... :-/ Like mildew freckles.

    Any help would be great. I have spent so much $ just to grow my own veggies and I suck at it!!!

  • 11 years ago

    none of them will grow larger... I saw one finally growing large again (they started off like my forearm!) so I left it alone for a few days, didn't even talk to it like I normally do.... then I look today and this is what I have :(


  • 11 years ago

    Chandra, it's very difficult to determine what the plant looks like from the first pic. Try to get a pic that captures the entire plant in the frame. If it is in a container, try to include that also. Then, try to get a pic that shows any leaves or plant parts exhibiting the trouble.

    As far as your experience and costs so far, don't despair, there's definitely a learning curve. :-)


  • 11 years ago

    The plants are weak and spindly. Need sun and larger root room.


    To pollinate the flowers, strip the petals from a male (a long stemmed flower) ad mash the central peg of the male against the central peg of an open female flower (short stemmed flower with a "baby" squash). (The females are open only briefly in the morning on a single day.)


    See hand pollinate zucchini

    https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs398

    Chandra ChannyCozy thanked jean001a
  • 11 years ago

    that makes total sense @jean001a. How do I expand the root area without digging her up??

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Pretty much an impossible task this year. If they're in the ground, concentrate on even soil moisture. Not possible for excessive water conservation when you grow veggies. Perhaps a several inch-deep will help conserve applied water.