Software
Houzz Logo Print
cmckopacz

Groundhog Troubles

11 years ago

Hello all, I know this is a common question. I am in the New England area and having a hell of a time keeping groundhogs out of my garden. My neighbors house is abandoned and the landscape is overgrown, leaving it to a great housing development for groundhogs. I have called the town numerous times and nothing has been done. We have installed a new fence but they have been burrowing holes under it. Below are strategies I have tried to keep them out of the garden: Chicken and Rabbit wire, Wooden borders around the garden, No kill traps to which they burrow around, Covering the holes with bricks/rocks, sprinkling cayenne pepper, Letting my 125lb dog urinate around the garden perimeters. and most recently the purchase of mole and vole repellent. Other than taking a BB gun and knocking them out I am not sure what else to do. I have read that Ammonia soaked rags may help. But does anyone have anything that has worked for them???? So far I have lost Kale, spinach, zucchini, squash, eggplant, broccoli, lettuce, and cauliflower. All that hard work of starting them from seed has gone to the groundhogs...I don't want to lose the rest of my garden!

Comments (12)

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I had success pouring used kitty litter in its hole. It vacated. There are tons of them in the neighborhood though, and without my fortified fence with chicken wire bent outwards at the base to prevent digging (2 feet of it flat on the ground, 1 foot spliced with the fence), I doubt my garden would last for long. I still am not all that confident - they should rename them "gardener's bane." I am very hesitant to grow brassicas again as they are groundhog crack.

    You should maybe scout out and find where it is living - I think they are territorial and do not travel far for food.

    (Double post from similar topic)

  • 11 years ago

    i have had success in hiring trapper bob to get rid of them ...

    on my 5 acres.. one hog.. had 3 homes ... one in the pole barn ...

    i didnt like the option ... but i got rid of a 3 year nightmare ...

    ken


  • 11 years ago

    A fine mesh fence placed in a trench dug 1 foot deep and 1 foot wide with the fence bent at a 90 degree angle so part can be placed facing away from the garden (|_) as well as a fence with a tight mesh toward the bottom and not fastened at the top works. Groundhogs will dig as well as climb.

    kimmq is kimmsr

  • 11 years ago

    Thank you everyone for the tips. Fingers crossed we are going on day 3 without any signs of activity. I purchased MoleMax which is a 4 day treatment to use in the burrows and around the perimeter of the garden. It appears to be effective. This is also in combination of the Cayenne pepper I sprinkled around the garden and in the garden. Will keep you posted.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    is the MOLE killer labeled for groundhogs.. which i didnt think were moles???

    ken

  • 11 years ago
    yes groundhogs are listed as an animal effected by this deterrent.
  • 11 years ago

    go figure .. the name says it all .. NOT ...

    as long as you are making decisions from knowledge.. rather than just throwing stuff around.. i approve ...

    ken


  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I had a ground hog on either side of my property. Unfortunately, they are of the opposite sexes and 'merged'. I know have SIX of these terrorists running around. I will say that I am quite lucky as they have never ventured into my garden. There is a lot of foliage on the perimeter of the property including berries.

    To be on the safe side, I laid across the ground 2" x 4" chicken wire and then covered it with 4" of RCA as a base. Everything is in raised beds, so that helps me, too. I took endless time weaving a wire along the bottom of the 4' wire fence and the fence on the ground so it was not possible to penetrate from under or at the edges. I also ran wire every foot above the fencing up to 7' to keep the deer at bay. This fall I intend to frame over the top of it and use bird netting which should keep all wildlife from entering my sanctuary.

    I poured a couple of gallons of cloudy ammonia into the openings of the groundhog dens. There are other more 'permanent' ways of tending to the groundhogs, too. I know someone upstate NY that said he had 20 or more of them. He mixed up peanut butter and plaster of paris and put it near the opening of the den, even threw in some berries and bananas for extra enticement. He claims after putting the mixture out daily for a week or so he did not see them afterwards. I personally do not want to resort to that measure, but they absolutely infuriate me. I let my angry dog out now and then, she is a pitbull with and attitude, and she seems to convince them to find another yard for a period of time.

  • 11 years ago

    Where I live they are everywhere. There is no getting rid of them permanently. The only way to have a safe garden is with a really hardcore fence. Chicken wire bent outwards at the bottom to prevent digging. We also have deer and my fence is 6 feet high. They could jump it if they want but they are lazy on the summer. They will nibble on anything growing through the fence. It would really be impossible to grow most things without it, and even then it is not foolproof. There are too many people living here, no predators to eat these things, so nature is all out of wack.

  • 11 years ago

    How much kitty litter did you use Peter and how many times did you pour it down the borrow. I don't have a cat but I went to the local pet store and asked for their used litter. all I got is their dropping and i am not sure if it is enough

    we a family of three and they are by the pool :(


  • 11 years ago

    I poured it in the holes. There are usually many. One plastic bag full did the trick.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio