Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaime91804

Suggestions for this shady area

Jaime W.
8 years ago

Hi everyone.

In another post, I had asked for help in identifying what I saw as a nuisance plant; Euonymus fortunei. At the time, I saw it as overtaking some of the other plants and I just wanted to get rid of it. This morning I went out to try to clear out some weeds from that area, and I have to agree that it is very pretty and I'm considering keeping it. However, I would love some advice on what else I can do with this area. All of the plants in my yard were planted by the previous owner. I have no idea what any of them are, and therefore don't know how to care for them. If you could identify the tree and shrubs in the following photos that would be greatly appreciated. This area is in a corner of my front yard in a very shady spot. I'd like to make it into a low maintenance area and possibly bring some color into the yard. Right now pretty much all we have is green (plus the foliage from the Euonymus fortunei). I'm not sure what else would be safe to plant, as the vines from the Euonymus fortunei seem to take over everything. I took a bunch of photos, hopefully you are able to see this area enough. Thank you so much for taking the time to look.

~Jaime

Comments (7)

• Jaime W.
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• Jaime W.
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• Jaime W.
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• Jaime W.
    Original Author
    8 years ago

In the last photo, I did a close up of the tree in the center of this area. I'm not sure if looking at these leaves might help identify it. Also, parts of the shrub bush are just brown branches. I'm not sure if it looks like that because it is unhealthy or if it's just the way it was pruned.

BTW, I live in a 5b/6a area.

• lisanti07028
    8 years ago

I recommend that you take closer pictures of the individual plants/shrubs and post them on the Name That Plant forum. Then once they are identified, post the pictures of the shrubs one by one on the Shrub forum and ask for advice on how to rejuvenate/care for them.

This particular forum is not usually very active, so you might as well go where the answers are.

• Jaime W.
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you both so much!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH