Software
Houzz Logo Print
faralibrizzi

Kitchen Backsplash.. What do

11 years ago
You think is best? Is blue glass tile too trendy?

Comments (46)

  • 11 years ago

    NO, I do not think it best.

  • 11 years ago
    I worded this badly.. We are deciding between these 3 options.. Which is best?
  • 11 years ago

    I personally would go with a cream tone subway tile found in the counter. IF, I must choose between your 3 choices it would be the middle one;)

  • 11 years ago

    of the 3 showing, I would go with the darkest. The problem with the other 2 if my colors are coming in correctly is that the gray is too blue in both, does not appear to go with stone, no?


  • 11 years ago

    Either the one on the left or something like the darkest taupe in the granite.

  • 11 years ago
    They are both actually blue.. It's called pure spa blue. Our paint is gray, so we were thinking of adding color.
  • 11 years ago
    I agree with Margo, pick a color tone like a cream and add color with accessories. It would be more timeless and you could always change it out.
  • 11 years ago

    Any of these better? These were our original options but we put it off for over a year..

  • 11 years ago

    This is the whole kitchen.. Sorry it's sideways. I appreciate all your opinions!!

  • 11 years ago

    Different view


  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Use a color with a little pop !

    Across the. Color wheel

    From The body paint scheme of ur kitchen..))

  • 11 years ago
    This is a kitchen that we recently finished. My upper is a cream color and counter has a brownish red pattern, so I opted for a sand color limestone. Since you also have a darker cabinet for island maybe you could consider a white subway with a darker glass mosaic for accent?
  • 11 years ago
    Is the cabinet white or cream? looks a little cream to me but not sure.
  • 11 years ago
    Cream
  • 11 years ago

    of the ones you offered from a year ago, i would say, the two on the right. but I think cream similar to the stone and cabinets would be an excellent choice.


  • 11 years ago
    I really like that sand colored limestone you have above.. Maybe we will skip glass all together? I was starting to feel like it's on it's way out of style..
  • 11 years ago

    oh please don't tell me that, I have not even gotten to try them yet! oh well, always a day late and a dollar short.


  • 11 years ago
    I just searched on blanco Romano granite and found some nice looking glass tiles.. Maybe just because I've been considering options for so long.. We have a baby coming in 4 weeks and I'm dieing to have this kitchen complete!
  • 11 years ago

    Given the color choices in your counter top and cabinets, I would consider looking at tiles with monochromatic tones of the same color - something not too light or too dark. You could get away with glass, ceramic/porcelain, or stone with this kitchen! It has a modern industrial feel to it; based in your pictures. Since you already have plenty of white in your kitchen, you might want to consider introducing some color into your back-splash.

    In fact, google "white modern industrial kitchens with granite counter tops" and look at similar pictures of white cabinet/lighter granite kitchens and see what back-splash speaks to you. You may find the white subway tile with gray grout soothing. You may want to go with stone. Here is an example of a monochromatic neutral back-splash for a hint of color. Good luck!


  • 11 years ago
    I like the glass tiles personally. Adds a contrast
  • 11 years ago
    I like glass tile as well but only in small doses. I have white cabinets at home and a greenish island counter so I used some light green glass mosaics for accent. If you opt for something like limestone or monochromatic, you could still use glass mosaic as the jewel. Hope everything is settled before baby gets here. :)
  • 11 years ago
    Here are the bathrooms with the same cream color cabinets. The first one is with a crema marfil counter and a ceramic mosaic I found at Lowe's. The next one is with crema marfil wall tiles and some emperador dark mosaic.
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Maybe try a mosaic tile

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Hello! If I needed to choose from your 3 options in the first photo, I would choose the darkest one. If you are open to something new, check out the options below. Hope this helps. Good luck!



  • 11 years ago
    We a reopen to other options, I like everything.. That's my problem!!
  • 11 years ago
    Go for something that is in stock and within budget. :) I like second left of Design Inside suggestions as well.
  • 11 years ago
    Design Inside.. My husband and I both like images 2 and 3, what brand is that? Thank you for the inspiration!
  • 11 years ago
    2 and 3 both look like monochromatic tones of glass; in beige colors. I think you could go to your local home remodel store and 1) buy 1 of each that you like based on the colors/pictures, 2) limit yourself to a price range, and 3) don't buy more than 6 different ones to take home and compare on your wall in your kitchen. Remember to go with a beige grout and I think you'll be pleased!
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Glass tile can make a bold statement.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Small glass tiles with black epoxy grout as a idea.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Here is a glass tile that we installed over a granite top like yours as a suggestion.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Is aluminum tiles a option?

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Sometimes mixing glass and stone tiles together works well.

  • 11 years ago

    here, some of these might turn you on

    Roman Pattern Stainless Steel and Pewter Accents Tile, Sample · More Info


    GM0130 Century Glass Mosaics · More Info

    this i believe has different colors too. don't know that i would do the whole wall in these. but they could be nice focals


  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I wouldn't worry about trends, instead do whatever you think looks best. Most of the people we install tile for don't want what someone esle has they want something that is one of a kind. Be brave and bold and you may suprise yourself.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    If you do a neutral glass subway tile such as khaki, gray or even the clear minty glass………………then you will not tire of it a year from now and you can always change the accessory colors for a fresh look. I would personally do the subway tile with beveled edges in the brushed nickel finish for a sophisticate, somewhat industrial, but sleek and up-to-the minute look.!

    HOuse MOuse

    Miriam Mainieri, MIami,

  • 11 years ago

    Here is my ultimate solution. You are having a baby, I remember that, you are going through nesting about now. You did not really care enough to do it before, so now you are panicking. This is not important in your life. You know you don't even have to have a back splash it is not even a firm rule, just a style. you might want a mural or decorative behind the stove for pan spatters, but your kitchen is lovely and has served you well up until now. Let it go for now, go get a massage. get a lot of kitchen design magazines if you want and a notebook to stick the bits in and read them after the baby is born while you are too exhausted to move. It will keep you occupied and probably the perfect thing will burst out at you, or you will find, you don't really mind not having one.


  • 11 years ago
    LOL! Having fun, you're right about the nesting part! The lack of backsplash has bothered me for some time though.. It's gross, the drywall behind the sink is getting moldy and behind the stove is stained.. My husband is motivated now too, so I want to take advantage! Plus, when people come help me, I don't want them to see that.
  • 11 years ago
    I say go with the blue stacked it even something brighter .I love the bold blues they have out now . For some reason I cannot attach a photo. If you can check my idea book photos you'll see you are not the only one who loves a pop of color!
  • 11 years ago
    This is an idea of what I plan on doing. I say add some color!
  • 11 years ago
    Add color with paint and accessories. NOT your backsplash. I would pick a cream subway tile like others suggested.
  • 11 years ago
    All the blues and grays are too cool against the granite. Go with a cream crackle subway. Simple is best. Use accessories to bring in color.
  • 11 years ago

    behind the stove put a mural of something you love, got a few examples. In area behind sink, and any other problem areas, put a color that reflects from the mural. this solution is under $200 and will be done in a jiffy.

    Tile Mural, Espresso by Richard Henson · More Info


    many types of coffee ones available.

    Tile Mural, Bordered Shell Nautilus by Paul Brent · More Info


    wildlife comes everything from painting to photos, shells to horses.

    Theodore Steele Waterfront Painting Ceramic Tile Mural #340, 17"x12.75" · More Info

    romantic artists and others abound.

    Beach Picture Bathroom Shower Tile Mural 1033, 17"x12.75" · More Info

    you may be cooking but your eyes are picturing you here or the one below

    Waterfall Photo Wall Back Splash Tile Mural 2109, 12.75"x17" · More Info


    Tile Mural, Duet Chefs I by Lori Schory · More Info

    there you go, if your guests comment, hand them the ladle.


    All of these are available on Houzz. I am sure there are others in other spots.


  • PRO
    11 years ago


    Hand painted saltillo tile installed for a laundry room backsplash · More Info

    Hand painted tiles can look great in a kitchen or laundry room too.