Software
Houzz Logo Print
meddr101

Living room layout - Help needed.

11 years ago
I have tried a few configurations for this room, but nothing seems to sit right with me. I don't have the experience to figure this one out :(
We have French doors on one side, fireplace on the other, a few walk throughs and this is were we watch TV. The TV will not be placed above the fireplace, already made that decision. I think I will place it on the wall to the right of the fireplace using a TV arm. Would love to hear all of your suggestions, from the "no cost" all the way to the best furniture for this space. I am open to everything!
Thanks so much!!!!

Comments (18)

  • 11 years ago

    I have thought about that, but was worried about it filling up the room too much. The French doors do open out, so it may be a good possibility. Thank you!

  • 11 years ago

    I tried to rearrange to get a feeling. Not bad, but now my husband gets sick because of the air blowing down on him. We've changed out the adjustable vents, but still effects him badly. Is there another possible arrangement that I could try?? We've been in the house just about 2 years and I think we are getting ready to purchase some new furniture. Thanks for all the help!

  • 11 years ago
    How do organize 3piece furniture and table set with lamps in small space?
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Such a pretty space. I think the beige sofa needs to be up against the wall as you had it in the first set of pictures. This way it is aligned up with the fireplace. Agree to keep the tv on the wall to the right of the fireplace. My only suggestion would be to find 2 smaller chairs (similar to the ones in the picture below) in place of the blue loveseat. The loveseat feels a little cramped in the room. I'm sure that is not an option, though, since your husband probably loves to sit on it while watching tv. Also, like the suggestion of doing a small sectional in place of the sofa and loveseat as suggested by Design Inside.

    Warm Modern in Noe Valley-Living Room · More Info

  • 11 years ago

    Lavonnia, you added your question to my post. If you start a new post for this, then all the comments would be tailored to your scenario. I have a similar issue with my living room too, welcome to the club.

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks Karen, actually he is only able to sit on the beige sofa, the a/c doesn't effect him on that one. I loved the idea of the L sectional, but pulling the beige sofa out into the room is when the a/c causing my hubby to get sick :( what if we got an L sectional, then split the two pieces to replace the two that I have now. If they were the same color, style and size, would the room flow a bit better I wonder? As for the TV, I would love to mount it on the right side, but not next to the fireplace, the wall next to it. Then have it on an arm that we could pull out and angle for TV watching. When we are not watching, it would be back against the wall, like a painting?? I really hate the rug, it has not held up well at ALL. We've had it just about a year and it is already falling apart. The thread are coming out, it's matted down and doesn't look good in person. Another :(

  • 11 years ago

    I actually love your rug and think that the colors complement your sofa and wall color nicely. I like the idea of either keeping the sofa and finding 2 smaller chairs in place of the blue loveseat OR finding a small sectional in place of both.

    My suggestion to you would be to look at lots of pictures on Houzz to figure out if you want the sofa with 2 smaller chairs or a small sectional and then measure, measure, measure!

    Before I purchased my sofa, I actually measured the room and used grid paper to draw the space out. It really helped.

    If you decide to do a sectional, you can still place it against the wall as your beige sofa is positioned. It wouldn't have to change the placement. But having said this, your beige sofa looks like it is in great condition and is a great neutral piece. What about finding some chairs to complement it?

  • 11 years ago
    I would mount the TV to the wall directly to the left of the doors. Not the same wall that the fireplace is on. This way it can be flat and you can lower it to a comfortable viewing level, either on that little table or a new console, or on the wall. I would try to get it "out of the corner". It will be less obtrusive and it opens the room up. The fireplace is nice too.
  • 11 years ago
    You do not have room for a sectional.
  • 11 years ago

    Sunnydrew, that's exactly my plan for the TV. What if I went with a longer sofa and the two accent chair. We watch TV in this room and plan on having children. I really would like it inviting, comfy and to accommodate a "family".

    Karen, The sofa IS in good shape, but there's a cheap slip cover on it. The original color does not match at all. The blue loveseat is okay, but not the most comfortable. The beige is too wide. My hubby uses pillows, but I would prefer something maybe less wide and less angled back.

    Thanks for your feedback, this all really helps.

  • 11 years ago

    meddr101-it really doesn't look like you have the space for a longer/larger sofa. My suggestion is to measure you room. Then use grid paper with small centimeter/inch squares to draw what you want in the room. I think the size of your existing sofa looks right. What type of sofa are you looking for? I like the color and style of your sofa now. It works in your space.

    If you want to replace the sofa, look at pictures on Houzz and find some styles that you are drawn to. Then find out the sizes-

    Post them after you have selected a few styles you love.

  • 11 years ago

    I think you should get a smaller scale sofa and two chairs. Put chairs near where the blue loveseat is only into LR a little further. I would use a larger ottoman for a coffee table. I would also put a simple white credenza in the space next to the fireplace so it would look like a built in. The TV can be on it on a swivel base. Make sure and sit on furniture, you should be able to have feet on floor when your back is against back of sofa/chair. Lots of good ones out there. I would take mirror off of mantle and also get rid of fireplace screen. A couple of pieces of art - over sofa and over FP would brighten the space.



    meddr101 thanked ashtonchic
  • 11 years ago
    How big is the TV? Do you really need that size for this rather small room? If anything, I would downsize the TV to fit the room more properly, and it would free up a lot of space. JMO!
    meddr101 thanked Turid Knutsen-Løvik
  • 11 years ago

    Turid, the TV is 50+ and is my hubby's baby. Sorry, can't change that I've tried. It does "fit" on the wall, so I am hoping that with it mounted and flat when not in use, it won't look so huge.

    Ashtonchic, Absolutely will be changing out the fireplace screen, that is currently there to keep out the kitty, otherwise I would have black paw prints everywhere - a much bigger eye sore. I was thinking about changing it out with a black, 1-panel version that slides right up to the fireplace opening.

    Thank you for the tip about feet on the floor, I will absolutely keep this in mind. I am looking for artwork currently. I've seen some really beautiful ones on line. Just want to be sure that I really LOVE them. I hate making a purchase unless I'm in love. Right now, I've got lamps around the LR, but they just don't makes any sense. I like the idea of them, but they seem to be chopping up the room. I've changed them out with lower one (most recent pictures), but what are your thoughts? Lamps (in general), stay or go.

    I will be getting some piece of furniture for the right side of the fireplace to house all the TV components, so I completely agree with you there!!

    Thanks so much for all the great ideas!!

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    There is really nice art on Etsy which is original and on Art.com which are prints. I think things will make more sense to you when you get your new furniture. Then lamp placement will seem natural. If your blue love seat is the right depth measure it so you know how deep your new furniture should be. Maybe some art like this behind your sofa.

    Blue Circle Painting White Wave Modern by BuyArtSharonCummings · More Info

    And something like this over your fireplace.

    Original extra large abstract painting bold colors by ARTbyKirsten · More Info

    meddr101 thanked ashtonchic
  • 11 years ago
    Mddr101- as suggested, draw the room to scale as best you can showing measurements, including openings to halls, and the French doors, etc. it is really the best way for you and all of us to see how challenged the room is. Also measure the furniture. I have a program that will allow me to do a drawing for you and see what would work. It seems like the walkways are all on the left side of room facing the fireplace. You then have to walk around everything to go through the room. Is the doorway on left of fireplace essential? Can it be permanently closed off?
    You speak of future children and being able to all watch TV. I would suggest that you do now what works for you and your husband only. Later everything will be so different, you can revisit later.
    meddr101 thanked sunnydrew
  • 11 years ago

    Thank you Sunnydrew, I'll see what I can get down on paper.