Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jkhsdsu

Tomato Leaf Problems - PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY!

jkhsdsu
8 years ago

Hello all! I am new to the forums and am in desperate need of help. My otherwise healthy heirloom and Hybrid tomato plants (Black Krim, Brandywine, Big Rainbow, Sungold, and Black Pearl) all have developed this strange new leaf shape - what is going on?!? My brandywine leaves have also started to curl themselves. Thoughts?

What's going on with these leaves??

Brandywine leaf curl

Comments (2)

• jean001a
    8 years ago

I answered this in your other thread.
    Here, the 1st image is herbicide damage, the 2nd is physiological leaf roll.

Read about carryover here, and then do the simple bio-assay:
    http://smallfarms.oregonstate.edu/sfn/f09Herbicide

jkhsdsu thanked jean001a
  • yonaton770
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Same as what jean001a said, for the top photo. I had the same problem the last 2 years in Indiana. The damage appeared on my beautiful tomatoes and peppers (just before planting in early may) right after the yard-care people sprayed. It took over a month for the plants to recover, and not all did.

Numerous other plants, and even a shrub, in the yard were damaged. We told them not to spray that any more, but the next year we had the same problem because we couldn't tell the city not to spray for weeds around the retention pond on the other side of the fence.

In other words, I feel your pain.

As to the bottom photo, did you recently transplant (probably not, judging by the size of the plants?), or perhaps not water sufficiently? Just a thought based on my limited experience.

I'm wondering if jean001a knows if that pesticide carry-over can be residual in bagged potting soil? (OK, I see from what else you've written that could be the case). I had suspected that as a possibility. If so, it would be an awful lot of work to q.a. it prior to potting plants up, or using it for a raised bed.