Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
photoramamama

Do two accent chairs across from sofa have to match?

photoramamama
8 years ago

Looking to purchase two accent/armchairs to put across from my sofa. All are going to be a neutral color, but I was wondering if the two chairs need to be the same or could they be different chairs? I can't seem to find many pics of set-ups with two different but complimenting chairs. Please help?

Comments (35)

• PRO
    cg interiors group
    8 years ago

You can absolutely use two different chairs! Take note of all of the dimensions of each - height, width and depth - to make sure one doesn't overpower the other.

photoramamama thanked cg interiors group
  • photoramamama
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you! I just wish that I could find some examples of this set up. Everything I find points to matching chairs. Here is one of the chairs I want to purchase. And the sofa will probably be a tufted Chesterfield sofa. Debating on whether to get another one of these chairs, or trying to find something different that will match.

• photoramamama
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Trying to choose between these sofas:

• Maureen
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The chair feels a bit heavy with the trim and tacks with either of these couches (which are lovely) and may be a bit high. A pair of chairs is easier to work with and I would go with something that feels lighter and lower and perhaps with a soft pattern and slipper charis might be a good choice (if you click on first picture you will better be able to see the chair examples).

Vine Street · More Info

• photoramamama
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you! I see what you mean about the heaviness. The room I am trying to model after is this one, absolutely adore! They seem to have some mixture of chairs and sofas here. I have a smaller space to work with so will probably only have one couch and 2 chairs. I am worried that having 2 different chairs would clash though.

• photoramamama
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Also, here's another image of the chair, looks a little lighter. Still too heavy for the look I am going for?

• miacometlady
    8 years ago
    If chairs are next to each other, yes I would match.
  • miacometlady
    8 years ago
    I like number two.... Very distinct legs and arms.
  • susan2494
    8 years ago

I don't think they have to be matching, but if they don't consider a different fabric or color. Instead of all white, make one a grey or pale blue. That way it looks like a designing decision. But per cg, make sure they are same size.

• Maureen
    8 years ago

Love your inspiration room - it reminds me of the picture I attached in how light the room feels. The trim on the chair does make it feel heavier and I would wait if you want that softness in the room. I think I would buy the most important piece - your couch - and then take your time for the chairs and get the perfect ones. I believe the chairs above work due to their similar heights, wood tone, curves on the sides and proportion. Also they are not too similar or competing - ie: different tuffed styles in the same color and also their shades are repeated throughout the room so they are complimentary and complimented.

• photoramamama
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I just had the same thought as well. I think it would be best if I
    purchased the actual couch first, and then filled the space with the
    chairs later. The chair was on a great sale which ends at midnight so I
    was trying to decided on the purchase. Here is the rug that I have as
    well. (ignore furniture in the pic, from website)

• susan2494
    8 years ago

You could even do one in leather

• photoramamama
    Original Author
    8 years ago

love the lines of that last one!

• susan2494
    8 years ago

Perhaps the pleasing difference is that the chairs are very different. Different colors, styles. I think it adds interest to the room. Same sofa style same color same, same, same is really pretty boring. Doesn't hurt to mix it up a bit.

• photoramamama
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It's so hard to envision all of this w/o putting it in the room!

• Maureen
    8 years ago

After seeing your rug...definitely don't get the chair. Once you have the couch, it will be easier to envision. I just went onto a second hand site called Kijiji and the chair below is $525, so keep your eyes open for second hand and for sales.

• susan2494
    8 years ago

It does have a nice shape, no tufting and the nail trim is just enough to give it character.

add this in velvet grey very nice

• photoramamama
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you all so much for your help!
    Maureen - would the rug still go with either of the sofas that I had originally attached? Is it just the chair that would clash?

• Maureen
    8 years ago

Your rug will really suit either couch - it's lovely and will compliment a lot of types of furniture. I don't think the chair clashes with the rug, it was just the overall feel as compared to the couch and your inspiration picture. It could bring the feeling a bit towards more casual/rustic, which is nice also.

Country Club Project Remodel · More Info

• PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    8 years ago

They don't have to match. However, they shouldn't clash with each other and the rest of the room.

• Maureen
    8 years ago

I was helping my sister look for french bistro chairs and came across a sale at Josh and Main...the Louis tufted and Louis accent would be great together with your couch. https://www.jossandmain.com/v/search/display_keyword_search_results?keyword=french+bistro+chair

• sootsprite
    8 years ago
    To me, one reason the two different chairs work in the photo is that they are spaced further apart. That gives the idea they are their own entity in their own space and are meant to be different.
    When the chairs are close together, they feel more like one unit and look better if they are a matched pair.
    It is possible to have coordinated chairs but in same fabric, or same chairs but in coordinated fabrics, and have a matched pair.
    Lastly, matched chairs tend towards a more formal, balanced space. Unmatched chairs lend to a more relaxed look.
  • photoramamama
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you for all of your advice! I'm trying to decide on the couch right now, and all of those chairs are lovely accents!

• cheryl_c023
    8 years ago

I love the idea of 2 different accent chairs and jumped the gun and purchased before my coach came. I am having the same dilemma, how do I make them work ! My room is long and narrow so essentially two different seating areas, by the window I out the two chairs, I feel like one over powers the other. How do I make it work. Thinking I need a round rug in front with a round low table. Here are some pics of pairing with items I already have in living room. Advice please!

• cheryl_c023
    8 years ago

Another photo . I ordered two accent pillows the same colour as the smaller chair , hoping that will be more 'togetherness'

• cheryl_c023
    8 years ago

My colour scheme is greys,teals,wood colour and navy's

• joyceloo2
    7 years ago

I too like variety, but know what you mean about wanting it to not look like you inherited the furniture and not like it was a design decision. I would try draping a throw over the larger chair to minimize the length (placing it on the right side) and placing a more colorful accent pillow on the smaller chair to make it stand out.

• PRO
    Michelle Scott for Ethan Allen - Laguna Niguel, CA
    7 years ago

Ethan Allen · More Info

The trick with using two different chairs, is making sure that they complement each other, both in color/pattern and scale - and if they are opposite the sofa, that the two chairs balance the sofa.

Artsy Eclectic in Long Beach, CA #EthanAllenDesign · More Info

• Angela Lauria
    7 years ago

Do I need to use two of the same chairs? Can I use another color or should both chairs be the same?

• Virginia Kubiak
    6 years ago
    I have a room that is 16 x 9.5. It is open on the one long side and one end. I am trying to decide on whether to use loveseat and two chairs or the four chair design. I would hate to have 4 identical chairs. your thoughts please.
  • Stephanie Gutierrez
    4 years ago

Just bought these and wondering if I have to get a couch to match

They are bigger then I thought and I'm stuck with them. NEED HELP!!

• Stephanie Gutierrez
    4 years ago

This is in my dinning room so I'm thinking the couch would go across from the chairs but my dining chairs and table would be behind the couch. Does the couch have to match the chairs?

• Alice Moore
    4 years ago

I think that mismatched chairs can look great in the right environment! The difficultly is finding the right decoration in order to balance the room and tie it together. You mention that you are using neutral colours - I think these are great examples of well balanced but neutral living rooms with mismatched chairs. They make great use of a slightly smaller space and hopefully provide some inspiration.

Coastal Modern Bungalow (Industrial, comfortable and family friendly) · More Info

Swann Road · More Info

Bay Street · More Info

Ethan Allen · More Info

• bldole
    4 years ago

Stephanie, I would start a new discussion thread on this website with more pictures of your room. I bet you would get a lot of feedback. Your couch does not need to match the chairs. The scale of the furniture I believe should be the same size though. You might just have to get a shorter couch to fit the space. Good luck!