Software
Houzz Logo Print
hjam1

Timeless tile options? Wood look tile a fad?

11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago

Hey, so we're redoing a lot of things within the house and the tile has to go. It is currently one of those plain ceramic 12x12 tile and I hate it. I'm really loving those "wood look" tiles that I see at Home Depot but I worry they might look dated after a while. Another thing I really love is a nice polished porcelain or marble. Which would look nicer in my home based on the images attached. Which is easier maintaince?

Thanks!

Also, we might have the hardwood refinished a darker colour (a dark greyish brown) in the next year or so and want the tile to match. So what colour would you recommend?

Comments (15)

  • 11 years ago

    i think you correctly recognized that wood look tiles will eventually either take over the world or be forever trapped in 2015. could go either way. the main things is do YOU like them. if so, thats what you should do.

  • 11 years ago

    The images are up now.


    I agree, and at this point I personally can't decide. I love both as much as the other. Which do you think would be better suited to the home?

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks! I was thinking about something like this then


    Or perhaps



  • 11 years ago

    I agree with Cynthia. They just don't work together so you need to find a nice porcelain tile that works with the color of your hardwood.

    If you want an honest opinion, I would live with the tile you have as you can't imagine the nightmare taking that up is going to be!

  • 11 years ago

    Honestly I have no idea about the whole process, we were going to have a company do everything. What makes it a nightmare?

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    If you're going to have someone come in, then they'll protect the area and put up plastic barriers to keep the dust from going everywhere. Some tile comes up very easily. I've seen some that's come up in less than an hour. Other times it comes up in pieces. Just get a reputable company to do it and they'll make it right.

    hjam1 thanked Cynthia Taylor-Luce
  • 11 years ago
    I also agree with Cynthia, do not put wood like tile next to real hard wood. It's not going to look good. I suggest using a bigger tile than the one you have. Bigger than 12 x 12. Light color would look good with dark hardwood floor.
  • 11 years ago

    Would you consider replacing the tile with more hardwood?

    Last year we added hardwood next to our existing 28 year old hardwood...you cannot tell that they are different! Also, I would not make the floors darker...they show more dust and dirt.

  • 11 years ago

    I was just thinking about extending the wood, the only fear I had was them looking different from each other. How do you get the colour to match? I will have to have the wood refinished anyways because their horribly scratched by the previous owners dogs. So the only thing I can think of is having the wood put in while refinishing the floors and staining both the same colour.

  • 11 years ago


    Windsor Entry · More Info

    How about considering Travertine?

  • 11 years ago

    I've only had experience taking up two layers of vinyl plank and linoleum and it took far longer to get it up than anyone could have imagined due to the hundreds of staples per square foot. With breaking up tile and the mortar you're going to have dust that will be very hard to keep out of everything. If you have it taken up, move everything you can out of that area and cover everything with plastic so you don't spend the next several weeks trying to get up all the dust. We had to sand off some old texture on a wall that was messed up earlier this year and the mess was unreal!


    For hardwood flooring, go with the same type of unfinished wood as your other floor so you can have it refinished at the same time the new floor is done so they match.

  • 11 years ago

    If you get a good contractor he can easily make the floors match. Ours did it with no issues. He did not have to do anything to the old floors.

  • 8 years ago
    Don't do the wood look a like tile. It's a trend/fad that will soon be over, just like the open floor design.
  • 8 years ago

    I have travertine and I don't like it at all. It requires maintenance. Putting would sounds like a good idea to me. And, yes, darker wood floors show a lot more dust and stuff but they are pretty.