Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjoconnell

Kitchen Progress

I am making progress on my kitchen update but am stuck as to my next steps. I resurrected my parents old Duncan Phyfe china cabinet out of the basement. The size works perfectly on the wall in our breakfast area but it is so dark with my heavy wood table and chairs, oak floor, cherry cabinets plus all our stained wood trim . (I do love the look of wood but I need some help softening it up a bit!) The light area rug and upholstery on the rose back chairs add some color but the china cabinet was a dark hole. I tried hanging up some trellis patterned contact paper that I had but I am not sure that is what it needs. I really don't want to paint the china cabinet but that may be what I should do. Any suggestions appreciated!!!

Comments (8)

• susan2494
    8 years ago

Take down the valance above window, the tall plant on top of china, the plant over the door and remove the one on the table. The table runner is too short and the area rug is too small. Take the shades off the chandelier and after all is gone take another photo and send.

Mary Jo O'Connell thanked susan2494
  • susan2494
    8 years ago

The chandelier looks to be too high. Bottom should be 30-32" from top of table. Center table under chandelier best you can.

Mary Jo O'Connell thanked susan2494
  • Mary Jo O'Connell
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for your input. I tried to implement some of your suggestions. I removed the small plant next to the china cabinet, removed the tall floral on top of the cabinet, replaced the table runner and center piece with color coordinated place mats, removed the valance in the bay window, removed the shades from the light fixture and the floral spray over the door. The light fixture is 31 inches from the table and is slightly off center. This is necessary since the traffic flow in the room would be awkward if it was totally centered. I like the idea of a bigger rug under the table. A table cloth may add some more softness. What next?

• sandradclark
    8 years ago

Placemats aren't needed on the table. A simple off-white & green runner will be lovely. I miss the valance on the window. It's not usually how I would dress a window, however in comparing w & w/o I'd like it to stay. It brings the necessary color to that part of the room. Great job & china cabinet is beautifully dressed.

• susan2494
    8 years ago

That looks so much better. What do you think? Since light fixture is little off center. I might take off place mats and replace with some glass vases. Similar in height and shape to these below, but the tall one to right of chandelier and short one under chandelier. Maybe that vase that was on top of china (without flowers and another shorter beside it. Might help off set fixture not being in middle of table. I really don't like place mates left on tables it cuts up the table top into little pieces.

I would look for a larger rug for under table and decide if you want curtains on the windows or leave them bare. Curtains would help soften the room. D you have wall space on the left of window to extend rod to the corner on right and same distance on left?

• susan2494
    8 years ago

Look at JC Penney, they have some nice linen fabric drapes in several colors that would look very nice. The room might do well with a burlap type curtain fabric in natural or taupe. I would look to rug to bring in more color. I like the 1st rug photo I sent, will work with the chairs and natural curtains and bring in some great red color. Tell me what you think. Different color rug? More color in curtains?

• grapefruit1_ar
    8 years ago

I really like your room! All it needs is a new rug...like the first one suggested...and drapery panels.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio