Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_93319

I need entry way ideas.

Sarah Foti-Taege
11 years ago
So I just moved into my home and am just overwhelmed decorating it. I like shabby chic and traditional combined. I want this space to feel warm but set an updated vintage tone for the home too. Any ideas what I can do with this space?

Comments (73)

• PRO
    Meddline_projects
    11 years ago
  • axlee
    11 years ago
    I can sympathize with the "overwhelmed" feeling. We moved into our current home 5 1/2 years ago from a large condo apartment. I've always been into design and decorating as a hobby, and had earlier lived in and done a complete renovation on a 100-year-old house, but when confronted with a new 4-bed, 3-bath house, I felt truly overwhelmed. My best piece of advice might be to take your time, live in the place for a while and don't feel you need to tackle everything at once. Traffic flow and uses for different rooms will reveal themselves over time and may not always be what you imagine right now.

You might want to consider something like a table-height wall-mounted shelf for your front hall, instead of a table. Not having the feet of a table or dresser touch the floor can be a great visual trick for keeping the space looking large. Then you can tuck an ottoman or stool under the shelf to pull forward when needed for shoe-tying. You can rotate seasonal shabby chic accessories on the shelf while still leaving space for a key dish, etc.

One of those French tin flower buckets in the corner would also give you some shabby chic and its floral arrangement could be similarly rotated with the seasons. I'm also all for the family photo in a less public part of the house and an oriental rug on the floor in the foyer. I'm a big fan of gallery walls in entry ways, but maybe you could do something around some landscape images (or other theme) rather than family photos.
  • Gary Hines
    11 years ago
    My first thought is actually how unsecure your front door is. First thing I would do would be to install an alarm system, put the pin pad in plain sight, and put an alarm sticker on the door right by the door handle. Someone could pop one of those little side windows, stick their hand through, unlock and open that door in under 10 seconds without anyone giving them a second notice. WAY too easy. Either that or I hope youve got a big hungry dog! LOL As for decorations, I see two vases in either corner next to the door. Either with or without decorative filling. I also see a small table on the right wall along with a chair to sit down to tie your shoes. Nice area rug, and curtains over the top window would be nice as well. Oh, and get rid of that builders grade chandellier. Theres loads of nice ones out there/ You might even want to consider a motorized chandellier lift to enable cleaning and changing bulbs without a big ladder. Nice house BTW!
  • laurapopa
    11 years ago
    jamesthomas, LLC · More Info
  • laurapopa
    11 years ago
    Hollywood Hills Home · More Info
  • laurapopa
    11 years ago
    Custom sideboard · More Info
  • laurapopa
    11 years ago
    EAST SIDE RESIDENCE · More Info
  • belladonah
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Great ideas from everyone. i am a designer working on three renovations at the moment. All have foyers similar to yours. My first thought was the extreme large mirror planted on the floor. However, i think at the end of the day, you will be most satisfied with the first suggestion, using the console table or a designer chest piece. The mirror should be eye catching, and correct height and scale. Make sure it is proportionate to your table or chest. Finish it off with two tall lamps with a large,round porcelain vase placed in center with a lovely flower arrangement. Now you have your drama in the foyer needed. Great first impression. Do not worry about the arrangement blocking the view in mirror. It will look beautiful. It finishes off the piece. Hope this helped.
  • mcgeanster
    11 years ago
    These architectural mirrors are nice for an entry way.... https://www.etsy.com/listing/101305446/the-white-arch-mirror-with-shelf-hooks
  • twod814
    11 years ago
    OMG, we just moved into our home 6 months ago, and that pick could be ours! Great suggestions... thanks for posting, couldn't have come at a better time!
  • madalynbaumstark
    11 years ago
    You have all that wonderful wall space--you can do art all the way up two stories! Prints, photos, whatever. As long as they all "go together" over all.
  • PRO
    Grace Archives
    11 years ago
    I've got tons of vintage art prints that would be perfect for a large gallery wall to mingle in with your family photos.

www.gracearchives.etsy.com
  • Sher Sc
    11 years ago
    Hi Sarah, I love decorating....have a small condo presently so can't do what I'd like. Had a 2000 sf home previously. I love your home, you're very blessed with a lovely family too. I agree with the Oriental Rug, Distressed Narrow Table or Cabinet (would allow you space to store items) & add Mirror on right wall. Place a few large items on them, (smaller items would be dust catchers). I would suggest greenery on either side of door for a GRAND entrance. 2 tall palm plants, either real or faux in nice ceramic or decorative metal matching containers or in left corner just 1 tall plant either on a small table or in a container. Since this is your entrance for guest & not used daily, there is no need to cover windows with curtains or DIY frosting unless you are close to the street. I truly agree with the person who suggested security for the front door. Either deadbolts keyed inside & out or better yet home security system. Add a nice large crystal chandelier, it would look elegant hanging right in the middle of top window upstairs. I've seen this in homes as you drive by, it showcases the entire home. As far as the rest of the rooms, you have plenty of time to decide what you would like there as you get a feel for what your family needs. Remember, it's OK to not have everything matching, mixing it up is best. It gives the room character. Besides, you want to fill your home with personal things too that have memories from vacations & such. It's so much fun going in anitque shops, not looking for anything in particular & there "it is", something perfect for the space you had in mind. Take time to enjoy the fun of decorating. My BEST to You & Your Family!!!
  • Julia Hale
    11 years ago
    I helped my daughter with a foyer like that and we hung large picture print over the door. Looking at that area from upstairs it was great. She has also hung a large framed picture over the other wall as well at 2nd level area. It really closed the room some for them. She does not use these stairs but the back stairs mostly. A grandfather clock is nice in the foyer also.
  • PRO
    Emiy
    11 years ago
    I would say either make the walls a nice yellow to bring in all the beautiful sunlight, or the wall with the door red that will make the space feel warmer, cozier. You don't need much more then that with such beautiful floors!
  • Sher Sc
    11 years ago
    I took a look at your living area & kitchen. I agree Queen Anne chairs would look better on the rug, great at the angle you have. Add some plants to make room cozy & full of life. For the sofa, I'd add some popping colorful throw pillows to warm it up. Choose a few theme colors that you can have all over the room. Add a few things in these colors on your bookshelves & tables such as nice vases, bottles, books, plates (anything you like) to sit around on tables. (Your look is serene, so maybe different shades of blues & a light shade of green.) Since your furnishings are neutral, you can change colors often. This same idea can be used for your neutral kitchen using same colors. Add a rug with a little color & some colorful items for countertop & island. Beautiful Home! Looks like a DREAM HOME!
  • dortheaseybold
    11 years ago
    Those tall ceilings might make this possible! http://houzz.com/photos/88379
  • gweezie
    11 years ago
    Your kitchen is exactly what I am remodeling my kitchen to look like. Can you share more pictures of your kitchen especially your countertops? They are beautiful!
  • jccbaker
    11 years ago
    My first impression was it needs the biggest chandelier you can find (Home Depot has some nice ones that the big ones won't break the bank). Also, you can have your family picture reproduced and finished in different styles of oil painting look. Then frame and matte it nicely and hang it in your foyer. www.magnipic.com/artistic-effects
  • monicatd
    11 years ago
    Hi Sarah. Like many other posts I too have a similar foyer. I'm not a decorator but based on the suggestions from the designers that posted suggestions I did a lot of things right...and it's that one area in my house that I have not redone because its very pleasing. To start I have a console and antique mirror by the front door with a tall skinny lamp. An oriental rug works perfectly at the door and a very large painting hangs over the doorway to what is our study (same side as the console table and mirror). A bowed antique chest sits angled in the corner underneath the stairs with a small shelf and picture arrangement above it. Another tall skinny lamp sits on the chest. I agree with changing out the chandelier and that's the last thing we need to do with our space to add more wow to the entry.
    This is the third new home we have lived in and i learned very valuable things with each move. The main thing I did with this house was to take all of my artwork and lean it on the floor against the wall that I thought it would go on. Not one nail hole went into the wall until I knew it was the perfect place to hang the art. Some items didn't get hung for months and many things were switched around because they just didn't feel right. I'm happy to say that my artwork and other wall hangings remain where they were originally hung because they're in the right" place.
    Enjoy your home and don't be in a rush to to get it done. There's no contest and trust me, you'll save a lot of money, painting, and arguments with the husband when you take your time and learn how your home really works. But above all...Have Fun!
  • Nilakshi Louzado
    11 years ago
    How about an antique hat stand with a mirror? At the bottom you can have plants and the mirror can be edged in small tile work. A colourful rug at the entrance will definitely add colour. A tall vase of colourful flowers in front of the mirror will add a welcoming touch
  • chime1
    11 years ago
    Hmmmm, not much space there, maybe consider a hefty ledge instead of a table, with a vintage mirror above, a statement rug would go a long way here. I would consider Restoration Hardwares round iron chandeliers maybe 2?
  • viratrevino
    11 years ago
    I saw this name idea somewhere else and thought it was very unique. Also, I think the table on the side is similar to what most are suggesting on this thread. Good luck!!
  • ingaspringman
    11 years ago
    my entry way looks almost identical to yours with the two story foyer. The only difference is that my stairs are in the back of the house instead of the front. I also have two rooms right across from one another in the foyer area. What I'm doing is trimming out the openings of both rooms and installing french doors on the den. Along with that we are paneling the walls to look like a very tall wainscot, then adding a crown molding around the front entry doors. When this project starts and finishes. I'll post pictures.
  • Cee Keenan
    11 years ago
    I believe the family photo is a great idea. I pay a little homage to my pet whose cage is in the foyer. As it is not the first sight you see when walking in, it is in the foyer.
  • PRO
    Doreen Schweitzer Interiors, Ltd.
    11 years ago
    The light fixture is lovely and if it is in keeping with your style I would not change it. I would suggest a metal base table with a tall mirror above. Make sure the weight of the base is hefty and the mirror tall, the wider the frame the better. You have plenty of room. Check out the table I used in a contemporary high rise. It is a very transitional piece and I like mixing things up.Just add a traditional mirror. You could also go with an asian inspired piece in a black finish with a traditional mirror. For the other high areas large metal pieces are good , either squares or gate type of pieces which you can sometimes find in pairs. Check out architectural artifact sites such as Olde Good Things or Architectural Antiques located in Minneapolis. Add some artwork but the pieces must be large, perhaps 4'-5' tall. You can get reasonably priced giclee reproductions. Check the out some student art fairs. Contemporary art could mix it up a bit or you can stay traditional in style. Check the Uttermost website for artwork and mirrors. Fabric art is another idea hung on a metal rod such as an interesting throw,rug, or spread found at an import store such as Pier One , West Elm, or World Imports. Screens can also be hung as artwork-either metal, wood,painted or asian inspired. Make sure all these items are firmly anchored because they can get heavy. Remember large scale and fewer pieces.
  • PRO
    Doreen Schweitzer Interiors, Ltd.
    11 years ago
    This is a transitional metal based table with substantial weight. It could be used with more traditional lamps and a mirror.
  • dbaune
    11 years ago
    The most obvious solution would be a stunning foyer table, with a very large mirror over it, to reflect light. HOWEVER, do you have coat closets for guests near the front of your home? If not (and if you may ever need them), a tall armoire might be beautiful in your foyer--and less expected. depending on your style, you might try something antique, hand carved, color stained, etc., so you'd have a real conversation piece as soon as people walk in the front door. I'd recommend a round foyer rug, to break up all the rectangular lines in the foyer.
  • PRO
    Vikrant Sharma Homez
    11 years ago
    Your foyer will look plush if it has a nice beautiful mirror and chairs if the space allows and a few pics of your kids to bring a smile on the visitors face, take a look at mine.
  • mary_e_wehrle
    11 years ago
    My foyer is very similar and I have two little ones too... I know it can be tricky to decorate with little stinkers moving/rearranging constantly! I have a bench there with a tall mirror (5-6') with a thick black frame mounted above the bench.... Gives kind of a simple drama for the space (and you can get these items in many price points). We use our garage door in back too but guests use our front door... So for play dates, our friends leave their shoes and diaper bags and coats (just easy rather than hanging in the closet) there..l and it's nice to be able to sit to put on shoes, etc.
  • angiepar14
    11 years ago
    Look at this
  • Sarah Foti-Taege
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Ok so I read all the additional responses. I agree with changing the chandelier. The one there is actually much bigger than the picture looks but it's not what I was going for.

As far as security system we do have one in the home already. The area I live in is definitely not a high crime area so it is not something I have ever really thought about. We plan on replacing the door and windows, basically the whole front of the house at some point in time and I will definitely keep the comments in mind.

There is a coat closet at the end of the hall for coats so the space does not need to be functional in the regard however I love the idea of a settee on the wall of the stairs and maybe a console where you walk in with a nice rug. Thinking creams and off white.

My original plan for that formal living room was to put sliding barn doors up large rustic ones. That would be functional to close off the piano room. Those 2 front rooms are currently empty. Plan is to convert the dining room into a French shabby chic look that feels like this (not the chalk board but round table same chairs similar lighting.

The Barn doors would be similar to shown but a tad bit lighter and the piano room will have a piano almost identical to this.
  • Sarah Foti-Taege
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    So I guess if I do the doors maybe west the bench/ settee instead and just see how much room would be there for a console table. The light I have been eyeing is this one although I can't find it so something as close as possible to it
  • Gabby Plagge
    11 years ago
    A rug, a locker/ cubby cabinet, and some beams that hang down a bit, with a large chandelier that hangs down below the beams.
  • jendominguez
    11 years ago
    Your house is beautiful and I enjoyed the advice everyone gave but I think if your first instinct is to put a family photo in the foyer then that's what you should do! Sometimes we get caught up in doing what is expected in certain places that we lose the personality and uniqueness. Personally, I love seeing a beautiful family photo when I first enter. It tells me something about who lives there, what is important to them and is welcoming. Most importantly, I think everyone should do what feels right to them. That is what turns a house into a home. I would take one of your photos and have it matted and framed so that it makes an impact. Chose the mat and frame to match whatever else you decide to put in there. Good luck.
  • Maureen Randall
    11 years ago
    Maybe and architectural shelf above the door, big and chunky. Look for salvaged corbels somewhere and add a chunky piece of painted wood (white/cream). On side of door, how about some brass sconces? QVC has some great ones that operate on a timer! Also, you need a great rug in foyer. You can find some really good ones at Pier! Imports. Also I would look around for a old chest of drawers with a mirror on top and two pedestal lamps. Plus you could use the extra storage for kids artwork, bills or anything else. I personally love shopping on ebay, and craigslist. It adds to the story of decorating. And remember, good design doesn't happen over night, its an aquired process. Good luck in your design ideas!
  • Christine Lema
    11 years ago
    Is this the main entrance that kids will use? Is there a mud room as well? Will this be a place where massive amounts of stuff will collect? I love entry ways! A dresser or table that is not very deep and a mirror would look so nice to the right. What does the view look like when you walk through the front door? A large rectangular rug would look great and a very small table to the left of the door would look nice or even a chair. Please show us what you decide. Great space!
  • Maureen Randall
    11 years ago
    oh and one more thing....Pottery Barn has some great ideas as well! check it out. Dont forget a chair too, if possible...great pleace to put/take your shoes on or off.
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    11 years ago
    Hi all!

I want to go back and read through the comments & your pictures again but I saw your update and this pic from one of my ideabooks popped into my head so I thought I'd share --
    Bayshores Drive · More Info

Also - the chandelier you like looks like Currey and Company, which is one of our vendors, but I didn't see it in their current line. There are others like it. Here is the link to their site if you haven't looked there yet -- http://www.curreycodealers.com/.

SO glad you are getting so many wonderful ideas! Hope they are helping you feel less overwhelmed!

Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com
  • Robyn Buxton
    11 years ago
    We have similar problem and we are looking at console in foyer, adding wall molding and a nice large rug for entry
  • Robyn Buxton
    11 years ago
    We have similar entry. We are adding wall molding, console table and large mirror and rug
  • patty526
    11 years ago
    Robyn, is that a paint finish?
  • Robyn Buxton
    11 years ago
    The paint is Cork by Benjamin Moore on the walls. The door is stained mahogany. We still have trimwork on windows to paint. Is that what you're asking?
  • patty526
    11 years ago
    There is a metallic feel with the pics, is that high gloss or metallic finish?
  • Robyn Buxton
    11 years ago
    Patty
    It's satin finish paint by Benjamin Moore
    Maybe it's my camera and I took the pic late
  • sandrapratt
    11 years ago
    I have seen someone do fabric down each side of the window (all the way to the top) they could be a creamor white sheer or burlap for that shabby chic flair. They would not cover the windows at all, it would just draw your eyes up & warm the space up.
  • PRO
    Shakuff
    9 years ago
    Maybe a shelf like the one below:
    Sweet as a Candy · More Info

you could add a mirror. I LOVE the color of your floors - I'm imagining kind of a distressed white shelf to compliment a "shabby" vintage look.

I love the window above your door - maybe a glass staggered chandelier that glistens from the light in the window when it's not on. :)
  • PRO
    Iconic Deco Interiors
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Nice entry there, and I will definitely agree with Shakuff, above. You really need a big chandelier or long ceiling lighting to make the space more bright and rich! Also, as you love the pictures, you should hang a lot of large framed ones on the wall, on stairs. A great round rug, and of course the entry console with a mirror-you can add two table lamps and a painting if you don't want the mirror. Hope you enjoy the pics and find some nice ideas for your home! jk
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    9 years ago
    A bench or console table will look really nice on that wall. Along with a nice piece of art, of course.
  • rochelleslp
    8 years ago

Do you have an updated photo of what you actually did? I'm having the same dilemma, but I have a tighter area between the stairs and the front door.