Software
Houzz Logo Print
michblue

Would concerns of radioactivity in granite dissuade you from using it in your home?

13 years ago
I've stumbled upon this article while researching countertop materials for a future kitchen reno. I always thought I would choose a granite but now knowing the potential risks I will likely choose another material.

Before I make up my mind I am curious to know what fellow Houzzers think?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/garden/24granite.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Comments (31)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I totally agree with Ironwood..Can't say anything else on the topic that he hasn't already covered.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    @Ironwood Builders sorry to hear of your health challenges. You are however very well informed and the granite in the house isn't any worse than the rocks outside. We are surrounded with natural sources of radiation and that hasn't changed since this planet existed. If you want granite go for it. Global warming will kill you before your counter tops can.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    OY! Gosh, sorry to hear of your health to. Did you get the mercury out of your teeth? Buy a Seychelle water filter and pitcher/water straw to take anywhere...used by the Armed forces. Gets out everything including radiation. Buy one at discountfilterstore.com And what about the microchip in your dog who is getting cancer as we speak???

    Get the granite. There's numerous youtube videos with guys testing the granite even in the field.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Ironwood covers it best IMO. And obviously if there is a person who would have an objective opinion on this, it seems it would be him.

    I've always had the feeling that many of these articles are by people who have an axe to grind. I realize that the one you've posted isnt. But it seems they're often published/promoted by manufacturers of competing countertop products.

    I've also read that certain colors are the ones that are the biggest culpret. I could very well be remembering it wrong, but it seemed the granites with red tones were the main problem ones.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    What is with red...even dye is the worst.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Everyone within a radius of 50 km of Fukushima must be dead.

    Did you know that their are people living and farming within the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone today?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Yeah, I saw that article in National Geographic...can't say I call that living...more like dying slowly. Which I am not BTW! I have just two weeks to go before I return home...and a couple of years of clean living for a full recovery....like I said, smartest guys in the room. Oh, and my dog got cancer right around the same time I did...incurable lymphoma. I had to put him down right before I went into hospital. That was harder than I can say. Best dog ever. Thanks for the kind words! They do help!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Ironwood Builders

    I have seen the videos and the people are doing just fine in the Exclusion Zone at Chernobyl!!!
  • 13 years ago
    @michblue--If this is something that is going to bother you, I believe you can pick out an individual granite slab and have it tested before installation. It is only isolated types and pieces of granite that have had elevated readings (and as others note there is some doubt about whether those elevated readings actually are dangerous), so it certainly shouldn't require your giving up all granite, if granite is what you want.
  • 13 years ago
    Ironwood Builders,

    Kharytina Descha, 92, is one of the several hundred elderly people who have returned to their village homes inside the Exclusion Zone. il. Teremtsy, Ukraine, 2011 (Gerd Ludwig/INSTITUTE)
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    As exciting as "radiation" in granite sounds (I'm with Ironwood's opinion BTW), I would like to point out the obvious. Everything on Earth/solar system/universe is exposed to radiation. Everything. Granite, gold, coffee, tea, everything, rubber ducky, paint, paving stones, etc.

    These factoids came to light when everyone began testing everything around them. Once science discovered that everything is doused in radiation, they stop reporting on these things. I would be more concerned about living near high-voltage towers, asbestos being sold to India, lead in paint, wind farms, solvent based products, food additives, etc. than I would be about a piece of granite that is millions of years old.

    Humanity has made it this far using stones as tools, houses (stone houses dating back 5000 years BCE are well known in Ireland), bowling balls, curling stones and counter tops. We will probably make it the rest of the way.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Aja, you miss my doctor's point...long term exposure to radiation can be deadly...not always. My condition is genetic and not environmental. The images from the Chernobyl area I saw in Nat. Geo. were haunting and not fun. Fukishima is empty of people...don't know the radius of evacuation...but they are gone. That a 90+ year old woman returns to her home in the dead zone is not a testament to her living...it is her choice as to where she wants to die. I hope I am that brave when I get there. Sorry to put this out on this forum. Don't know how to take a post one on one in houzz yet.
  • 13 years ago
    Wind farms? I think wew get more radiation from cat scans and annual x-rays - teeth and body - to give us much more to be concerned about than countertops.
  • 13 years ago
    I am in healthcare and am frequently alarmed by things I read, including how a US pharmacy could have contaminated bottles of steroids (fungal), used in epidural steroid injections which led to the deaths of people/severe illnesses in others. It was outrageous and preventable. I am not into conspiracy theories or panicking over things. But what YOU feel is the important thing. If u are not comfortable with granite...do what u think is right.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Ironwood Builders,

    Actually, we are in agreement.
    That women has remained in the Exclusion Zone.
    I saw a video taken years ago with her husband and daughterl

    I can not not find private comments in your profile.

    Put your screen name here and mark it private.
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/are-these-pulls-would-u-say-art-deco-style-dsvw-vd~304543
  • 13 years ago
    Ironwood I am sorry to hear to are ill and wish you the best! Interesting comments. My father in law was diagnosed with lymphoma about 6 years after my mother in law installed very pink granite. Could be coincidence, but part of me wonders. Although he also worked in factories so who knows what he could've been exposed to over the years. So right it all comes down to desire and comfort level. Will be interesting to see what impact this will have on resale value down the road. Counters are harder to hide than asbestos.
  • 13 years ago
    I wonder what Erin Brockovich would say? (I realize her quest involved toxic, industrial chemicals).
  • 13 years ago
    I wonder what she would say...julia Roberts may have another shot at an oscar. Apparently china, known for their lack of environmental and human rights law, grades granite a b c and below c. Only a is used in homes. The rest is exported or used outside. I can guess where the rest is exported....to us in North America who want luxury on the cheap. Believe it or not I am not a conspiracy theorist, lol.
  • 13 years ago
    What is the "grading" based on?
  • 13 years ago
    Radon and radioactivity levels, but let me say I don't have a lot of info on it past that.
  • 13 years ago
    Does anybody know how to get the granite in my home tested? All the counters and my desk are made of granite.
  • 13 years ago
    I worry more about medications and drugs as an RN. I am not a pill pusher by any means. The human body has an amazing capacity to heal itself...Many, many, many things that people seek a quick fix...take a pill for, can be accomplished by diet, exercise, nutrition, avoidance of booze, cigarettes and most importantly...bacon! (lol) But I am digressing.
  • 13 years ago
    Absolutely. I am currently remodeling my kitchen and am going for quartz instead just because of granite's radioactivity. I know that some people purchase a geigercounter and shop for granite countertops with it, looking for readings in a 'safe range', but it can be a long and painful search, if you want granite of particular shade.
  • 13 years ago
    As a result of the radiation that was released from and that continues to be released from the nuclear reactors and spent fuel storage tanks, etc. at Fukushima, pregnant women and children have been and continue to be evacuated from Japan [primarily Tokyo].

    Contingency Plans have been quietly underway to relocate the capitol of Japan and its government
    since the catastrophe occurred.

    Tepco confirmed the meltdowns at 2 more Fukushima reactors bringing the total confirmed
    to 3. [China syndrome]

    Nature is most wondrous and generous.
    We are still evolving as a species and we will survive.

    Appendix, tonsils,....
    hmm,,,,

    However, I say no to granite, etc. for the same reason I say no to strip mining, deep sea drilling, fracking, etc.
  • 13 years ago
    Yeah I am not an environmentalist by any means but I subscribe to the belief "why add fuel to the fire" on this and other issues medication, food, etc. I guess I find this topic interesting because I recently considered granite for another project in our house and was feeling the pressure that I chose a man made surface instead especially when friends and family asked why I didn't use granite. I feel like I dodged a bullet but could not have had I fallen to peer pressure. Automatically people assume you couldn't afford it so you went cheaper even though the corian cost more. I should develop stronger faith in my decisions...;). Nonetheless it surprises me that this is not better well known most people I talk to have no idea. The nytimes is the only major newspaper I've seen to cover the story. I am in Canada and have not seen anything about it in our media.
  • 13 years ago
    Lilychka, isnt quartz granite mixed with resin? Does anyone know of a study/research that has followed the health of the guys who mine/cut/ polish the granite slabs? That may reveal something of the hazards of granite.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    @duterrier
    My understanding is that quart countertops like Cambria or Silestone are made of quartz, not granite, held together with resin. Granite often has quartz in it, not the reverse.
  • 13 years ago
    There are a million things in this world that could potentially kill me. I'm pretty sure that it's not going to be my granite countertops that finally does me in.
  • 13 years ago
    @feeny
    Thanks for the info.
  • 13 years ago
    I used Corian as my solid surface material because I preferred the color variety. It's beautiful & I did use it also as the backsplash- allowing it to be one impact statement continuos to the base of my cabinets.
    It priced out more than any other surface I looked at- but I did get the super high gloss finish & custom light/ electrical switch plate covers made.
    Corian gave me a free sink for all my trouble-& you bet I took it!

    Natural materials are so pretty tho- the color variation can be so striking. It's a tough call-go with what appeals to your eye & sense of style.
    I too think the amount of radiation from your countertops may not be such a grave concern to many people- but I can attest to knowing a few young parents with small children that replaced their main countertops.
    There's no denying how front & center the natural health movement is- so if you are looking at possible resale options down the road- you are being very sensible to be thinking about your options. Good luck!