barbaraalee

Crossroads Cafe

BLee

An international meeting place where old friends and new come together for good conversation.

Comments (9.5K)

• liasch
    The river that runs near my place, the Musquodoboit.

Mus-go-Dobbit

:)
    BLee thanked liasch
  • liasch
    14 hours ago

Tilly, how nice you talked to Jan! Good to hear all is well there.

Here the studio rebuild and subsequent clean up continues. The Aegean stables. Seriously.

I just recently found out about our Dear Spencer. I am so sad. She had great design sense and knew her style!. I got her. I am so very sorry that I never got to see her of which she invited us several times. We couldn't wait to help her here on houzz and I got excited to see where her creativity would take her next! I am so happy that I wore leopard pants in honour of her, when many of us met in Nashville where she had tried to join us. I had talked to her several times and felt she was a good friend. She is missed! My love to her family!

What decorative items do you hate the most?

This thread is so fun. It's great release after years off holding one's tongue. I do hope it's read in fun, and not taken as a personal attack. A person in an earlier thread seemed really upset. Some have posted about their dislike of gray walls. I'm just about finished with painting the entire house a lovely, soft gray. It's not for everyone and every house! I painted my old apartment in different colors, aqua kitchen, burnt orange dining, purple bedroom. I loved it because it worked in that place. Doesn't work in my new, modern house. What one sees as clean and soft, another sees as stark. My neighbor's home is lovely, a, little claustrophobic for me, but she keeps it clean and it's cohesive. To each his own.

Designing Living Room & Dining Room. Dilema #1: The Fireplace Wall.

Have you thought of putting doors on the bookcases to hide the books and keep them dust free? You might choose doors with frosted glass or wood doors with some kind of mural in a recessed panel or just plain wood painted white. All your options are attractive, and it just depends on what you really want.

Do you prefer cats or dogs?

This is Tiki! We adopted him almost 3 years ago. He is everyone's favorite at the vets office!
  • liasch
    14 hours ago

As I posted on my thread, many friends here in Canada are deeply upset and concerned about the recent events in USA. We have our own issues as our PM pointed out, but there is so much that needs to change. And change is a slow process. It can take generations. Not a cheerful thought, I know.

• BLee
    17 hours ago

Yes, staying home safe. I hope everyone an do likewise. People have been ripe for an explosion and unfortunately the trigger came.

• Tilly Teabag
    18 hours ago

Had a lovely chat with Jane on the phone today. I was worried about her given that the hospitals are overrun in Mumbai, it was in the news here. She sounds chipper and is staying safe inside , so I am much relieved.

• Tilly Teabag
    18 hours ago

😘

• happyleg
    23 hours ago

U2

• Tilly Teabag
    23 hours ago
    last modified: 23 hours ago

I do worry about her catching something on the school bus, Happy, because it’s an hour each way and Winter just started. Please stay safe Happy.

• happyleg
    yesterday

I hope your daughter Tilly will be OK working come back home

• happyleg
    yesterday

I hate the violent riots and my brothers in Minneapolis Minnesota They have curfews to And I can't go to work right now because you can't cross the riot line you get shot and hopefully this morning that violence set down with the military there

• Tilly Teabag
    yesterday

Blee, I hope you are staying home at present. Not long ago I got a video call from a friend on a train in Portland showing graffiti and damage.

• ladma
    yesterday

I’m starting my 1 day a week Gramma Daycare tomorrow. D2 and SIL have been using vacation hours, and recently help from my niece to watch my GD. This will give them a break, and save some PTO for the future. Schools are closed until the fall semester, here. Daycare is closed until the end of June, but there is no word yet on the safety mechanisms that will be in place. Toddlers can’t really understand social distancing.

• Tilly Teabag
    yesterday

Well, tomorrow they are relaxing restrictions here a bit. Beauty salons and nail parlours will reopen and gatherings of 20 will be allowed. My kid went back to school last week.

• happyleg

My brother-in-law's well collapsed and it was a Mess

• glschisler

Y’all are doing very well with your declutter projects!

• liasch

Ladma, I am just discovering the joys of microfibre!

• liasch

Today, the plumber comes to help hook up the summer well. I have a large well on the back of the property that I haven't bothered with for a few years...back up water for washing, gardens, mostly. But the past three summers have been so dry, this year I am getting to it. The line is 200 ft back into the woods, runs over the ground as it used to freeze in the winter (cannot bury it deep enough due to bedrock) so it is summer use only. The water here is a challenge, the very small well in the basement is very rusty with iron, so needs a purifier, and really should have an ultra violet on it as well as both wells are ground water. The plumber is testing the water and I suspect that will be my next expense.

• ladma

Jan, be careful with pledge on the floors. It can make them slippery. I dampen a microfiber cloth, and dust with that. The combination of the microfiber, and the barely damp catches the smallest particles, especially pollen. My lilacs are in bloom, and the peonies should pop in a few weeks.

• liasch

Jan, you encourage me...I am not the only one sorting and pitching!

I have begun the dreaded studio, with items going back to 1987 when we moved here. Squirrels got into the cardboard boxes and wrecked havoc with deposits of spruce cones. No scat, that I can see, but dust and debris. Old toys, broken, discards, some rescuable, most bundled in to bags. The vintage store guy took some, as a thank you for his help with boxing up the stuff from studio tear down. A spinning top, a little toy piano, a clock...he fixed up the clock and gave it back for the 3 F, an old alarm the kind you wind up.

Old papers from OS university years, books including one in suburban gardening that is good...but when I went to find out info, I spent ten minutes trying to locate it in the book...in two seconds I had it found on my phone through Google. My grandson will grow up never having known the inconvenience of a lack of information on any topic...

• janbhan

Liasch, that looks like a major project!

First time I've heard that hawthorn smells ghastly! To me it has a powdery scent. I have pollen issues so have never sniffed too close to any flower, but I remember my school had hawthorn hedges, and one of the late spring pleasures was sitting by an open window while wafts of spring perfumes floated in. When we came back after the summer break it was a heavy green smell, a late summer smell of honeysuckle, apples, and hay drying on the slopes. To this day the almond smell of a freshly cut lawn brings back memories of my first real boyfriend.

We are still in lockdown, getting a little desperate here! A pipe burst in our building, on one of the lower floors and thankfully on the other side of the building. But they are in tiny ducts, and it was a problem first to find a plumber, then a hardware store, and then persuade three flat owners to gain access to the duct via their bathrooms. We all have hatches in our bathrooms for access to the duct, but so many people have bricked them up. Now the managing committee has put out an edict that all sealed hatches must be opened. And once things go back to normal we will try to get all the pipes replaced. It has been pending for several years.

My housecleaning activities set off a bout of arthritis, so I have had to cut back. Discovered a pair of microfibre socks you are supposed to wear to dust your floors...a recipe for a nasty tumble, so I spray one with the last of my Pledge and put it over a broom. Then I dust the floors and get them shining. Its a bit like a swiffer, but more heavy duty. Another microfibre swiffer type mop has lost its handle, I know not where... waiting for our hardware shop to reopen so I can maybe find a replacement. Something that screws in. It would be better because the head swivels, unlike the broom. But we manage. I find wet mopping the floors a problem because I have to carry a bucket of water. But the dust...even after vacuuming it's quite dusty.

My sister has been sending me photos of their lilac budding, primroses flowering, a burst of wild daffodils on the slope opposite their garden, a field they own but do not cultivate. It is full of ragweed and thistle and can't be used for grazing. My brother-in-law plans to get in there a little later with the strimmer and cut it all down. But he is almost 80, so I hope he will enlist some help.

Well, I had planned to clear a shelf of junk today. I can only do a bit at a time, so am starting at the top of my linen cupboard where the odds and ends are. That needs a stool. Tomorrow I will do the shelf with bed-covers, the day after the shelf with sheets and pillow cases. Lastly the bottom shelf, where the stool comes back so I can sit on it, surrounded by baskets and trays so I can sort out the clutter. Below that is my nemesis, a drawer full of cushion covers old and new. It needs to be de-junked most desperately and will take more time than any of the shelves. Last two drawers are hubbys' shoes, and mine. they are old. I want to sort them out and throw out the fossilised shoes we will never wear again. Then maybe the bottom drawer, which has my shoes and is hard to reach because I cant bend any more (tummy plus back) will get cleared and can be used to store tools. Hubby says this is too ambitious. Well, let's see where I get stuck, likely to be the shoes!

So off I go to clear junk.

Stay well, stay safe.

• liasch

Missing something here...

Starting a garden on the hill, where I used to have one years ago. Planted Albion strawberries, day neutral (ever bearing) 20 plants, and sugar snap peas today.

Have to get my helper to move the sod. Got 2 yards of soil delivered for a very good price.

Studio repairs are coming along cannot recall if I mentioned carpenter ant debacle here. Half the south wall was destroyed.

• Tilly Teabag

Stay on the paths, my friend. 😘

• badger10

Im lost,??????

• Tilly Teabag

Well if the Brits had it first...

• fissfiss

Context is everything!

• badger10

This one in my photo and also our most common is Crataegus monogyna

• fissfiss

It’s probably one of those moments to have botanical name discussion...When I say Hawthorn in Maine, I am talking about Craetageous viridis.....

• badger10

Yes, that is good, but oI quite like the scent but iI can see how it may be a bit overpowering for some

• BLee

Badger, I am informed by several peeps on another site that Hawthorn smells ghastly, so I have rewritten my haiku and prefer the new version. So .....

_______________________

extravagant blooms

thrilling to Sun's gentle touch

Embracing Spring's love

_______________________

• liasch

Houzz...likely a software glitch where the OS of your phone has some incompatibility. My son does software design. He says it's really hard to design software compatible with every phone out there. So...it's not your phone, but...it is...in a way. Houzz fault, or their designers.

English spring...sigh. Currently watch the series Dr Thorne, based on novel by Trollope. (Trolope?) set in Victorian England. Now, there is a time period I am glad to have missed...

Carpenter ants have wreaked destruction in my studio outbuilding. Due to virus, hubby of a friend is available to help...but it will still be $$$. Money I would rather spend on a trip to UK.

This is one reason I have not used my savings to travel...living in an old home, with an outbuilding. You KNOW you will need the money, sooner or later. :(

Bulbs are finally blooming here. Tilly, the lamium is alive and well...lol...it's ONLINE that I couldn't find a photo to share.

• badger10

BLEE, my thoughts. exactly, nice poem. Yes i am blessed some beautiful countryside with just a short walk from my house, iI feel very privileged.

NWDUCK

I find this woodland very spiritual and not ashamed to say that when i first entered the wood this year at its prime iI had a few tears as the beauty of nature is so overwhelming, imI'm just an ol softy.

Sorry about double words this site keeps putingputting word in that iI dontdon't type and iI try to delete but they jus keep coming back, iI message on 14 other site and this never happens, iI have had the phoephone checked out and am told its not the phone.

of

• nwduck

What a beautiful walk, badger! It must be so uplifting to be able to take all that in.

• BLee

Amazing what will grow in the shade - such pretty ground covers. Badger, how fortunate you are to have a lovely woodland area nearby. Your hawthorn photo inspired haiku.

_________________________

extravagant blooms

thrilling to Spring's gentle touch

sweet scent of hawthorn

__________________________

• ladma

That Latium looks pretty. I have a a huge pachysandra bed down by the road. I can always harvest some of that. I’m still trying to figure out the look I want. The rest of the grass looks good, it was just this area between the trees, that got sparse. mr is a lawn freak, and he strives for perfection.

• Tilly Teabag

Ladma, azaleas go well under rhodies. They all take the same kind of fertiliser.

• Tilly Teabag

Didn’t you have late frosts, Lia? Maybe it emerged and got zapped.

• liasch

Cannot find the lamium I have. Odd. I have it everywhere. Leaf is like this a bit. Very silver Center, dark green border. Can take a lot of shade. And here is the gooseneck. I would say it spreads but not very badly. Lamium is a spreader.

• liasch

Oh, right..shade perennials. Exactly what I grow best here. Woodland. Hosta are nice but...deer. I like gooseneck loose strife as a shade plant. Very pretty fall blooming. Astilbe (if it’s not too shaded) for spring. Both are pretty deer resistant. Lamium is a nice ground cover, VERY shade tolerant. It is quickly to spread and mine has a really nice silvery leaf, with spikes of yellow blossoms in spring and is pretty green even in winter. It is a pretty tenacious root though. Not super easy to yank out.

• liasch

That grass looks pretty fine to me...lol. Compared to my scrawny moss patch. Those PMJ will take a loooong time to grow. Are you going to fill in with anything?

• ladma

This is my latest little garden project. The trees now provide so much shade, that grass doesn’t grow well. We carved out an area, mulched it and planted 5 little rhododendron. I will add shade perennials as I get a chance.

• glschisler

Badger, your pictures are gorgeous! It looks so peaceful there. :) Lia, that is a cute picture of the penguins. :) Today is sunny and very warm. With the humidity it feels like 89 *. Since they lifted the beach restrictions 3 weeks ago our beach have been crowded and our rental condos packed with tourists. It will be interesting to see if there is a big spike in our county virus numbers. So far, only 8 deaths in 12 weeks.

• happyleg

Thank you that was lovely

• badger10

• badger10

• badger10

• badger10

• badger10

• badger10

• badger10

Hawthorn

And its flowers

• badger10

Well for all you ladies who like bluebells, here are a few photos from this mornings walk

• badger10

W