barbaraalee

Crossroads Cafe

BLee

An international meeting place where old friends and new come together for good conversation.

Comments (8.8K)

• Tilly Teabag

Lol, sending that to my engineer relatives.

• badger10

When I left Ireland, I did not take the dishwasher with me, A because there was no room in the lorry and B my first wife and I bought it in 1970 and it was still working when I left,, surely it can't last much longer and of course there is no where in the kitchen in my new house to put it,, and at the moment there is just me, so not too much to wash anyway,,, I don't really miss it,,,,,,,,,, yet.

What decorative items do you hate the most?

This thread is so fun. It's great release after years off holding one's tongue. I do hope it's read in fun, and not taken as a personal attack. A person in an earlier thread seemed really upset. Some have posted about their dislike of gray walls. I'm just about finished with painting the entire house a lovely, soft gray. It's not for everyone and every house! I painted my old apartment in different colors, aqua kitchen, burnt orange dining, purple bedroom. I loved it because it worked in that place. Doesn't work in my new, modern house. What one sees as clean and soft, another sees as stark. My neighbor's home is lovely, a, little claustrophobic for me, but she keeps it clean and it's cohesive. To each his own.

Designing Living Room & Dining Room. Dilema #1: The Fireplace Wall.

You could also add vintage furniture into your living room. [Traditional Hand Carved Wooden Storage Cabinet[(https://www.houzz.com/products/vintage-sideboard-traditional-hand-carved-wooden-storage-cabinate-prvw-vr~43426318)

Do you prefer cats or dogs?

This is Tiki! We adopted him almost 3 years ago. He is everyone's favorite at the vets office!

Wall sconces or light fixture?

As of today, we are officially divorced. Unfortunately, this is now the home of a single man. On a positive note, the dining room is the only room that remains to be finished and I am willing to see that through for him. The table and chairs (both types) came from Arhaus. I truly, sincerely apologize for ghosting everyone. I can't express the magnitude of my gratitude to each of you that helped through the process. I did have to relocate halfway across the country with toddler, move in temporarily with my parents, find a home to purchase, find a job, retake the bar exam, deal with a very late term miscarriage/still born delivery, and a divorce -to be fair- but I recognize that my ghosting over the past year was completely inappropriate and I do apologize. Also, I'm in a much better place now. Thank you all!
  • licksch

Most people I know who live alone just hand wash. I don’t know what my problem is but I seem to use up an inordinate amount of dishes. Maybe it’s because I snack a lot, instead of three square meals a day. And there is a little detail of not liking to do them.

• glschisler

Blee, when will you put your condo up for sale or is it already?

• BLee

I have been ignoring condo (fully paid for, so only continuing cost is not too violent HOA fee) until I recover From move. Plan was to leap back into the fray on Thursday after a Wednesday evening reception and talk at the art museum. I enjoyed a glass of wine there and then slept 11 hours, effectively cancelling Thursday morning. Monday I will vacuum, arrange for painting and minor repairs .....

I bought a chair for my butterfly

.

• Not a Pro

Sweet butterfly!

• licksch

Your new place seems so spacious

• BLee

I was at old condo today, completely empty. I think the square footage here is a little more, but the spacious feeling is mostly due to just a few pieces of large furniture and the central empty space. I love the simplicity and openness of it, just what I was hoping for when I left so much behind!

Flo Mangan

A chapter closed and a new one opening like your butterfly!!! So nice.

• licksch

Like I commented earlier perhaps on another thread, you are now my role model and inspiration for shifting to a new life. I hope I can do it with the enthusiasm and grace when the time comes.

• glschisler

I hope the touch ups go well, and that the sale of the condo does too. :)

• glschisler

Blee, have they started painting yet? I saw this on Pin Trest this afternoon.

• BLee

Thanks ... Not yet, but realtor recommends neutral (aka landlord white).

• BLee

Finally have a landline phone - just as my cell phone decided it wouldn't hold a charge overnight. Sometimes it seems the entire world is chatting on cell phones, but mine fail within weeks - or in the case of the pricy ones, 3 months. Being connected again, I hope reliably, is a comfort; took the technician 2+ hours to find a loose wire down in the basement of the building.

• Tilly Teabag

Good, Blee.

• licksch

I love my landline even though it’s ridiculously expensive. I do have a cell phone, and old iPhone hand me down from my son,mostly for when I am out and about and for emergencies on the road. And of course staying in touch with other people with cell phones… Which seems to be 99% of the world at least.

BLee thanked licksch
  • BLee

On the sunny side: 3 weeks with no junk calls!

• BLee

Brief heat wave in progress - with my large ceiling fan I have used the AC very little, but last night still hot at midnight - one more plus for my new digs, being able to sleep comfortably in 98 degree heat. Hope it cools a bit today, as tonight I am attending a cider [hard] tasting at OMSI, our museum of science and industry. I don't usually drink when it is hot, but there are plenty of other attractions, including an area of hands-on games and puzzles, always fun. This is the first adult event I have attended there, look forward to it - especially being free to play without shoving small 3 and 4 footers out of my way. Easy transport as the the streetcar stops just a short walk away.

Because of move, my staycation has been extended - last week I had planned a visit to OMSI after dropping off some bags at a nearby Goodwill, but was waylaid by the Portland Hot Sauce Festival taking place next to the museum. My enthusiasm for hot sauce is negligible, but I indulged in a Polish sausage and sauerkraut, sans hot sauce, enjoyed the raucous music with a near-frozen beer, and was bemused at the hot pepper eating contest. The champion ate over 100 grams, the runner up less than 70.

I also cancelled a print exhibit at the museum - gorgeous weather, so I took a favorite walk down to the waterfront - part of my usual pathway closed for pipeline construction, but

my detour introduced me to a hotel with a seafood restaurant - mussels, always a favorite, capped off with a burgundy cherry and espresso chocolate chunk ice cream cone while I wandered along the promenade. So much for that just out of the laundry blouse!

Progress in picture hanging.

• Depo

BLee, your place is looking fabulous! I just love the new color pallet you have chosen!

• ladma

Blee, your place is looking so comfortable already!

• glschisler

Very nice Blee! And such fun activities conveniently located to you New home.

• licksch

You live in such a great city! So nice that there’s so many things to do that are close by. That would definitely tempt me to make a move. Halifax is much smaller and unfortunately the transit is really bad. There’s activities going on but getting there… Aargh.

I love the look of your new home. It almost, but not quite, makes me want to move!

• glschisler

Blee, when will you list your condo for sale?

• BLee

Soon, gls. Now rapidly gaining energy - so slow I phoned my physician, who suggested dramatic increase in animal protein. I am a beans, cheese and rice aficionado by inclination but have added chicken, fish, some beef to every meal, which may have sped up recovery. A favorite quick breakfast has become baby spinach, fresh mushrooms, and Ikea meatballs popped in microwave, followed in a few hours by whole grain bread melted cheese sandwich, grapes. Dealing with painting and repairs seemed too daunting; even my realtor said health first, despite threats of recession. I’ll still sleep 10 or 12 hours after a night out like my foray to the science museum cider tasting, but mostly I am back to 8 hours and no longer crave mid day naps.

Fun evening at the museum, though the ciders were awful ... all gooped up with added flavors. Bland blueberry, sugary cherry, even a camomile one that tasted like shampoo. I only used 6 of my 10 tasting tickets and most of that was dumped. Noshed several times at the Oregon apple variety booth and sipped mineral water. Perhaps five or six hundred young people - I joked with the man who checked my I.D. that I was meeting my great granddaughter - a sprinkling of grownups - and when I encountered a fellow near my age we laughed and hugged. He had been startled that his granddaughter brought him, but like me was totally engrossed in the hands-on rooms. I was so intent on a wave your hand musical instrument in the physics lab I nearly got locked in when the attendant took a break. Discovered the 2-dimensional puzzles were my forte - zero success on the 3D ones.

• BLee

The popular games room ....

Some times graying hair has benefits - these kids were sweeties. If I paused at a crowded bench, I was quickly offered a place and as I threaded my way back through the crowd to find the end of a long line at a tasting table, repeatedly asking is this the line, several times a group insisted I join them for a shorter wait. Despite elbow to elbow conditions, a passageway instantly opened whenever a wheelchair appeared. At the little bar height tables I was enthusiastically welcomed and included. That odd sense that I was a chaperone at a singles party rapidly dissipated. I felt proud of Portland’s youth! A variety of music: loud in the games room, so I periodically adjourned to an old-timey group or out to enjoy some fresh air in the patio tent.

• badger10

OH well done Blee,,,, what a wonderful feeling to be included, the majority of young people are great, its just a shame that many folk do not realise this and are too ready to blanket them all as irresponsible, like everything else, there are the good marred by the bad. lest we forget our young life and the mischief we got into, and of course we have had many years to learn and gain knowledge and adjust our behaviour,,, or at least some of us.

• glschisler

What a fun afternoon Blee! St. Louis has an amazing science center and Planetarium.

• BLee

No travel plans at present - if and when, cities like St Louis, Cleveland, Philadelphia, Cincinnati, Chicago, many more top the list for their art museums as well as the many historic sites, gardens, other attractions. Many decades since I have been to a planetarium, will visit the one here soon. In my last year teaching high school in San Francisco I arranged a special program for my “Stories, Myths, and Legends of the World” classes, over 100 students. The planetarium did a great job, embellishing on my script. While they asked if they could use or modify it, I never checked to see if they ever planned such a program. In any city with a diverse population, anywhere for that matter, a show featuring the sky myths of many cultures ought to be popular despite competition from ”Star Wars”.

• glschisler

In St. Louis, in Forest Park, the art museum, the Missouri history museum, The planetarium and the zoo are all in the park. The planetarium has a cross over interstate 40. So it’s walkable. A little west is the Missouri botanical garden. And then of course you have the arch downtown and Grant’s farm is south of the city. ( President Grant). These are all world class and amazing.

• licksch

I should get a list of American cities from you peeps. I thought I don't have any travel plans at the moment either, but art museums and Gardens would be high on my list. As well I really like architecture. One of the cities on my list is Savannah Georgia but that's mostly because I have a book I read set there. I think it's called "midnight in the garden of good and evil"

• ladma

That was a great book!

• fissfiss

Beloved and I went to Savannah a couple of years ago. It lived up to expectations.

• Kathi Steele

Cincinnati is an awesome city with lots of outlying areas that are very cool. We have done a few food tours there and enjoyed all of them!!!

The girl statue from Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil has been moved to a museum due to vandalism, but it is awesome to see!!!

Louisville has some neat things to see also. We did our own bourbon tours and that was pretty cool!!

Flo Mangan

licksch - If you want architecture, the city to visit is Chicago, Illinois. After the huge fire there in the late 1800s (?) architects from all over the world came there to rebuild the city. Amazing collection of buildings in all types of architecture that is all packed into a pretty small geographical area. You can search it on line and see some amazing buildings. Art Deco, Modern, you name it. Then second would be Washington, DC for gardens, beautiful spaces, and very interesting architecture too. You could spend 4-5 days in Chicago to really do it justice and another week in Washington, DC. Of course, there are amazing gardens everywhere. Just takes some research to locate them. Hope these spark your interest.

• BLee

Poor childhood eyesight, finally glasses in Chicago during brief sojourn there. Vivid memory of clear focus on art deco elevator surround in medical building, distinct leaves on the street trees outside, and across the street, Louis Sullivan’s Carson Pirie Scott building. I insisted Mom take me across so I could see the inside as well.

• licksch

In hurricane mode here...category 2. I still have power although many people don’t. The worst of it is yet to come around 9 o’clock tonight. Send out a few little prayers please that the trees don’t fall on my house or my house powerlines. We’ve already lost several trees on this road.

• BLee

Large prayers on the way, all evening and as long as needed!

• olldroo

Hi everyone, sorry I've just been lurking of late, so many things keep happening to keep me on my toes but I'm almost finished the inside of my house so it is all "mine" at long last. Just wish I could download photos as I've been avidly following BLee's progress and the great job she has been doing

Been following the Hurricane progress as much as possible and thinking of everyone in its path. At least it is down to a 2 now so hopefully that helps lessen the danger and damage.

• licksch

Here, peeps. Glad THAT is over. Lost one tree, nothing damaged as far as I can see. LOTS of damage all around and in Halifax. Feral cat came in and spent the night...:)

• olldroo

Great news licksch. Been watching footage tonight of Bermuda, those poor people, there is just nothing left, where do you even start to clean up that sort of a mess. One of our reporters went over specially and said the smell is just indescribable, I'm dreading hearing the death tally - if they even find half the people.

It just amazes me though with the number of hurricanes now, yet after each one, it is like a learning experience with the "where do we start"?? Get the people out!!! I know they have to wait for the weather to settle and floodwaters to subside, but still they are not ready and organised to go.

• BLee

Relief - and happy that Shadow knew you offered safety.

• licksch

He is in again tonight...keeping him in unless he gets really antsy. He has a litter box right at the foot of the stairs by the door, so maybe he will use it. He is currently content.

The wood stove scares him though...so there is that to work out. I had it lit a bit when the power was out...which came on two days early! I have been gritting my teeth, but now back!

The Bahamas...I can’t fathom the terror and the pain.

• olldroo

We are having terrible winds here at the moment making a lot of things difficult and everyone is complaining about them. I've been stopping people in their tracks though by reminding them that these are only 1/10th of the wind the people of the Bahamas had to contend with. It just puts everything into perspective, we can't begin to imagine what these people went through and these people are just left to cope themselves, there is no trauma counselling or the luxuries we complain we can't live without.

The winds are still posing a considerable risk though, we have been in drought for too long, everything is tinder dry, the hot weather is approaching, and because of these winds, our fire risk levels are at extreme. There always seems to be something.

Shadow, the cat, I love that name - in my old house I had a neighbour one side with a cat and the neighbour the other side with a dog, both called Shadow. Got very confusing.

• licksch

Here he is...last night. Tonight he didn’t want to stick around. It’s pretty warm out and there’s a nice moon and he opted to go back out.

• olldroo

Well he really knows how to make himself at home when he is in.

• BLee

Amazing - it took Magpie 12 months before she was relaxed enough to stretch out like that; here in her new home she was instantly comfortable.

• BLee

Brief storm this morning, wind and rain, trees whipping about - I had shades pulled up and it seemed as though I was in the treetops.

• licksch

He has moved in...lol...we are just working out the details. Installed old cat door today. We did a few practice runs up the ladder. He can’t open it by himself yet, though.

• glschisler

Sounds very promising Licksch!

• licksch

BLee, it has taken us a year and a half to get here...it seems like less because he just started coming in...but the relationship has been going on at least that long.