barbaraalee

Crossroads Cafe

BLee

An international meeting place where old friends and new come together for good conversation.

Comments (10K)

• ladma

Jane, thanks for checking in. Shoulder replacement takes a long time to heal, it sounds like you are making progress. I’m glad to hear your family has escaped the virus, thus far. Stay safe!

• glschisler

Jane, i it is so good to hear from you! We do worry about y’all! I am glad you got your second shot and that you have help. Down here on the Gulf coast of Mexico on the Alabama beaches, things have pretty much returned to normal. So far. But most people do try to keep their social distance.
    Blee let us know how you are doing when you can.
    Badger, how are you? 🙂

I just recently found out about our Dear Spencer. I am so sad. She had great design sense and knew her style!. I got her. I am so very sorry that I never got to see her of which she invited us several times. We couldn't wait to help her here on houzz and I got excited to see where her creativity would take her next! I am so happy that I wore leopard pants in honour of her, when many of us met in Nashville where she had tried to join us. I had talked to her several times and felt she was a good friend. She is missed! My love to her family!

What decorative items do you hate the most?

This thread is so fun. It's great release after years off holding one's tongue. I do hope it's read in fun, and not taken as a personal attack. A person in an earlier thread seemed really upset. Some have posted about their dislike of gray walls. I'm just about finished with painting the entire house a lovely, soft gray. It's not for everyone and every house! I painted my old apartment in different colors, aqua kitchen, burnt orange dining, purple bedroom. I loved it because it worked in that place. Doesn't work in my new, modern house. What one sees as clean and soft, another sees as stark. My neighbor's home is lovely, a, little claustrophobic for me, but she keeps it clean and it's cohesive. To each his own.

Designing Living Room & Dining Room. Dilema #1: The Fireplace Wall.

Have you thought of putting doors on the bookcases to hide the books and keep them dust free? You might choose doors with frosted glass or wood doors with some kind of mural in a recessed panel or just plain wood painted white. All your options are attractive, and it just depends on what you really want.

Wall sconces or light fixture?

As of today, we are officially divorced. Unfortunately, this is now the home of a single man. On a positive note, the dining room is the only room that remains to be finished and I am willing to see that through for him. The table and chairs (both types) came from Arhaus. I truly, sincerely apologize for ghosting everyone. I can't express the magnitude of my gratitude to each of you that helped through the process. I did have to relocate halfway across the country with toddler, move in temporarily with my parents, find a home to purchase, find a job, retake the bar exam, deal with a very late term miscarriage/still born delivery, and a divorce -to be fair- but I recognize that my ghosting over the past year was completely inappropriate and I do apologize. Also, I'm in a much better place now. Thank you all!
  • badger10

I am great, we are now able to get food and drink from establishments, so a new social group I was invited to join asked me to join them for a drink yesterday afternoon, 5 women and me, had a great time as you would expect, I think I got stitched up, as the person who invited me didn't turn up, the ladies were very welcoming and wanted me to join them next time, so happy days, keep safe everyone and glad to hear that you are OK Jan

• jane_bhandari

I'm so happy to read all your comments! Once I get onto the computer I'll do a longer post. Happy to see everyone is ok.

Way to go Badger. There is safety in numbers.

• glschisler

And we are very happy to you all are doing well. Yes, way to go Badger! 😉

• Depo

Jane and Badger, so good to hear from you! I don’t comment much, but that’s because I live such a boring life, lol! Our state (California) went from worst to best as it relates to cases. We are in Mexico right now, and other than staff, not many masks to be seen. Thank goodness for vaccines! We do have to be tested before re-entering the US, fingers crossed for no false positives!!!

• liasch

Depo, that gives me hope. Everything is shut down here. Canada is in third wave and NS cases are ramping up at light speed. So depressing. Mother’s Day is coming up and I expect I won’t be able to see either of my sons. 😞 For the second year in a row. Same situation last year.

• happyleg

So sorry, people need to wear their masks & social dis. Do some art for us. Did u do a vest?

• liasch

Happy, art is on the agenda, as well as painting staircase. Ordered some TSP, so waiting on that.

Spring is very slowly getting here...typical NS. Cold, lots of rain. A few warm days...still have wood fires on in the evening, most nights!

Expect hummingbirds any time now. Regular bird feeders are coming down soon. All raking is mostly done. Weeding is next. Garden is planted, the early crops.

• liasch

Beautiful rainbow over the hill and garden the other day. And moon, behind the old crab apple tree.

• liasch

Badger, good you can get some socializing! How is the back yard doing?

Jane, good to have efficient help...especially with shoulder healing. I am sure every little new milestone is encouraging. Cheering here!

Happy, actually I do have some jewelry and small framed work started in the clay. Will get to inking that today, and post results later.

• glschisler

Beautiful pictures Lia, and pretty clay cut outs. Such detail you put into it!

• Alice Edwards

Laisch your home and flowers are beautiful!!!

• badger10

Liasch,,,, great work, i really like them, and nice photos too, back yard is slow due to all my socializing, but i will post a photo as it is now,, you'll notice a load of stuff in to porch area, cannot get it in the shed bit yet as still organizing that, i also have some loungers which need cleaning as they got dirty in the move

I just realized i have to download photo's to the computer first, so will send them later

• badger10

• badger10

• badger10

• badger10

• badger10

the bottom picture is how it was when I moved in, then above that winter chillys

• Rina

Oh, Badger, it's charming. Well done.

• ladma

Badger, it looks lovely. You’ve worked hard on it, and it shows. What do you plant in the pots on the fence?

• liasch

Yes that was my question to… What is in the parts on the fence. I am greatly coveting your Asian statues… The man, the woman, and then the lantern in the back. There must be a story to those? I’d love to hear it. Your yard is looking fantastic!What a lot of work has gone into it already. I took a close look with the gardeners eyes but I’m not able to ID any plants from the photos so we will have to wait until they bloom.

• badger10

Ladma,,,,, those pots were thrown in the trees by the previous owner so I rescued them and put them on the fence where they would catch the sun they contain hanging lobelia each side,,, in the center towards the back is pelargoniums, and each side of that are petunias,,, and each pot is symmetrically planted from the middle,,, a sort of mirror image, should give a nice display for a dull corner..

Liasch,,, its a long story,,, but I'll keep it short as I don't want to bore those who know the story,,,, I have had a passionate interest in the oriental part of the world, especially China and Japan,,, many years ago on visiting a garden Centre I noticed a company next door who make garden ornaments from molds, so I bought the man and women and 2 lanterns, took them home and used concrete paint and gold paint to enhance the visual impact, at first they looked too bright, but as the years have gone by they have now got a lovely patina on them and look reasonably authentic, this then sparked the idea of creating a Japanese themed garden,, this I done in Ireland, but as most of you know I had to sell the house because of divorce, Now i'm starting again here, so as the photos show I have done the basic structural side but I still have some ideas to add, but I have to be careful not to "overcrowd" the garden.

So far and you probably can't see then in the photo I have planted 5 Japanese Acers,,,, only 18" high yet,, 6 Azaleas, lots of bulbs for early display, a tree Paeony, which has 8 large buds on it now so hoping that we don't get any wind when it blooms in a couple of weeks, I also hav a bamboo in front of the shed and a Magnolia stallata, the idea is to hid the shed by about 70% so it gives it some mystery when the plants semi hide it.

I am in no hurry as I like to "live" with the garden in its different stages and see how things work with each other and then I can develop a little more,,, regarding the shed I have yet to fit guttering and with that comes some thought of how I can use the rainwater within the garden through a variety of ornaments and hand wash basin (traditional before entering the (( tea house )) and maybe a small waterway/pond.)

I sit in my office upstairs looking out over the garden so I get a good perspective from up here,, its almost like looking at a plan,,,, but then I never plan a garden,,, it talks to me visually,,, no measurements,,,, if it looks right, it will do.

• badger10

OH and thanks for the lovely comments

• Rina

Talking of lovely comments ...

I am in no hurry as I like to "live" with the garden in its different stages and see how things work with each other and then I can develop a little more...

I never plan a garden,,, it talks to me visually,,, no measurements,,,, if it looks right, it will do.

Those read like lessons for life. I am so with you on that kind of thinking, Badger. I love it.

• badger10

I never saw the relevance of those sentences when I wrote them but yes you are right, and it just so happens that's how I live my life

• liasch

I’m currently writing an article for a little local newspaper. The monthly column is called “the garden philosopher…”. That’s a great philosophical comment above. I also garden by feel and not by plan… but I suspect anybody who tried to plan a garden on this piece of property would be continuously frustrated. There’s a garden here in Nova Scotia called “the tangled garden“ and that’s pretty much the style that suits this landscape. I’ve always been amazed at Japanese Garden, the way they are so controlled and yet look so natural. That’s not easy to master. I like the idea of something partially screening the shed/Tea House. That will give some depth.

Meanwhile it’s absolutely freezing here in Nova Scotia somewhere around 9°C. No gardening today.

• badger10

We are down to 4C, believe it or not we had snow this afternoon.

It's strange how we are guided by the things we say or do that affects other people, weather you believe in the spirits, the universe or God it matters not, its just amazing to me how we are part of a greater power,

If you want to use my sentences in my previous post for your local paper and writing, please feel free to us them

• happyleg

Wow snow

• ladma

We visited The Tangled Garden. It is a very organic, follow the earth kind of place.

• ladma

It took some hunting, but here’s a picture from the tangled garden.

• liasch

Badger, I may do that, quote you for the next column as a starting point! Here is this month’s column. They are always short and somewhat philosophical based on reflections that happen in the garden.

• liasch

Ladma, I keep forgetting that you have travelled through my neck of the woods!

• ladma

Someday we’d like to go back, and go past your house, and up to the Cabot trail. We didn’t have time for that.

• glschisler

Badger, your garden is lovely! We too go with the flow at our lake house, as to what and when we plant our gardens. 😊 Lia, that article is very nice! Ladma, we had a wonderful visit with Lia, and you will too!

• jane_bhandari

My sister, who lives near Chester (North Wales) sent me pictures yesterday of snow covered garden and hills. The house is built into a hill so to go from the kitchen to the garden you use a walkway that runs next to the living room French windows. Right now she says it's dangerous to go there, snow and ice are starting to slide off the roof!

That much snow, I asked her. 3"! Wow. I think I'll stay here and bake.

Badger, love your garden. Your idea of letting it happen as it will is sensible.

We have had our 2nd vaccination, now to sit out 2 weeks to full immunity. We'll still have to mask and socially distance, but at least we can go out a bit. Right now we are still locked down till mid May at least, and I bet they will add another 2 weeks to it.

Meanwhile replacing my rickety living room windows is stalled again. They rattle in the wind and I worry that the screws holding the frames to the surround are getting weak. Last monsoon the north east corner leaked badly; I am about to do a pre-monsoon shuffle of the furniture so it's easier to mop the floor. At least I have my boy and the maid to help. One cupboard is solid teak and really heavy even when empty. It's an old dowry chest repurchased to make a liquor store, beautifully carved. Moving it means completely emptying it of bottles, something I am reluctant to do with staff around. So maybe I'll just let it be.... some of the collection dates from Poona days!

• jane_bhandari

• jane_bhandari

Sorry about the odd angle! I'm sitting on the sofa.

• jane_bhandari

• jane_bhandari

The round mirror was my grandmother's.

• badger10

Wow that chest is beautiful, being a lover of all things artistic, especially wood carving, I can appreciate the craft that has gone into its creation

• liasch

Reading back in this thread, as I am on OLD iPad version of app...so posts a YEAR ago pop up first...how we are still in this mess. Light at the end of the tunnel with vaccines, but no wonder everyone is weary...

That is quite the teak bar. Do not move it...not worth it and with shoulder??? Maybe Gls has leaking window advice. Towels? Bathtub roll on caulking? I am queen of jerry rigging as I live alone and am not skilled with tools.

Snow... Badger...not surprised, we have had it here a bit further north than I am, fortunately.

BLee I hope your arm is healing and not keeping you from sleep.

• liasch

Someone posted a photo of my house from 1961...and I have put one from almost the same spot beside it. Look at the changes in 60 years. And across the way...that's all houses now.

• ladma

Jan, that chest is beautiful. We’ve both been double dosed for over a month. It’s a relief, but new habits are hard to break, and I still am being cautious. We had a lovely visit with D1, SIL and 3 y/o grandson last weekend. We hadn’t seen them since October. It was fun for the cousins to play together. All of those young parents have one dose, D2 got the J&J the week before it was paused. She dodged the rare reaction, thankfully, as she is pregnant with baby #2. He’ll be here in July!

• glschisler

Jan, your chest is beautiful! With our leaky windows all we could do is put out the bath towels. Wring them out and put them back. The windows were not sealed from the outside. So they had a construction crew come and seal aall the windows on the west, South, and east side this past fall and winter. They still have to do the north side, but it is sheltered. Here are our Dragon wing Begonia’s that we planted in the little gardens at our Lakehouse a couple of months ago.

• happyleg

Jan I love your grandmother's mirror I love the bubble type

• jane_bhandari

Actually I'm not going to move anything. I have a sturdy maid, and a 'boy' who is 32 and a father, and we have decided not to do anything to change the windows. But I have found a local man who has just repaired our kitchen windows with all new channels and latches. He looked at the sitting room windows and said we needed to change the gaskets and maybe the rollers. But the windows have to come out...he will bring 5 men who will shift the furniture and manhandle the windows out of their frames. And put them back after inserting leak proof gaskets. Hopefully that will hold us until the pandemic is over. Two years?

• liasch

Sounds like a good plan. Maybe longer than two years...

• jane_bhandari

Believe me, we put out every floor cloth and bath towel last year. And I have a spinner mop that came in handy.

We're expecting the first Cyclone of the season next week so I have told the new guy to just do the east windows and the northeast corner, which is where the water comes in. We never used to get more than one Cyclone in ten years. Now we get 2 or 3 each year. This one is showing up early. The rains aren't due till 10th June but this storm is going to cause trouble because the municipality isn't ready for it. And my daughter is getting tarpaulins put on the farmhouse roof, they didn't do it last year and a kit of tiles blew off the veranda roof. So my son will go up this weekend to get the tarpaulins in place and make sure the dam is ready for the first rains. It's empty now, they grow watermelons in the silt and then dig it out and put the silt on the vegetable patch. Downstream of the dam they grow rice. They are using old local farming techniques very successfully. No fertilizer, just compost, manure and silt from the dam.

• glschisler
    yesterday
    last modified: 23 hours ago

Jane, I hope you are spared damage during the cyclone Season. We are holding our breath this hurricane season also. Just because we had a big one last September 16, doesn’t mean we won’t have another one. The climate change is real and weird. They have moved up our hurricane start date to May 1 instead of June 1 this year.