Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindadoyle

Curb Appeal

Linda Doyle
8 years ago
Hi there!
Currently, as you can see in the photo, we have an old door we are replacing, red siding, brown trim, and bluish grey rock and bricks in the garden area. I am trying to decide on both a color for my front door, and also hoping for some ideas on what I can do to improve that bland grey concrete stairs...

Looking forward to your ideas! Thank so much

Comments (6)

• Marion Latham
    8 years ago

Paint it a vibrant color...I painted all doors to outside RED...looks great and it is feng shui....don't throw away old door....I took my old door, painted it red and took the back gate off and installed the door just like you would if it were inside then I put a little peaked roof to make it look more like a door and to my surprise it looks great and works very well.

• PRO
    Kari McIntosh Design
    8 years ago

I agree that you can simply paint the old door. I would go dark - almost black like your trim. For the concrete you can have a decorative artist paint a great stencil pattern. Another idea is to add an iron railing to the side. Good luck!

• PRO
    Schlage Locks
    8 years ago

Hi Linda! Congrats on your new door! I happen to be partial to the bright white door at the end of your post (#3). I think it looks pops well off the red siding. Regardless of the color you land on, you'll want to make sure to add a high-quality handleset (like these) in a style that complements the style of your home. Additionally, you might want to take the opportunity to upgrade your mechanical hardware to a battery-operated keyless lock. They're super easy to install and bring a whole new level of convenience to your life. Check out these keyless locks for more info! Let me know if you have any questions I can help answer and good luck!

• mramsey
    8 years ago

I like the idea of a navy front door, with a brass kick plate (and a matching new mailbox and outside light) but all of the above door colours look great. What stands out for me is how narrow the entry is and the drop of death to the ground off to the side... Could you build a small deck at the level of the top step and back toward the bump out? This would camouflage the heat pump, allow for a less congested feel at the door, some extra usable outdoor space and then you could tie in the deck railing with a hand rail for the steps. You could paint or stain the steps and have a large planter in a colour that matches the stairs or front door placed on the ground beside the steps and in front of the new deck. Plant a nice small tree as a focal point or use the planter for seasonal displays (bulbs, bedding plants etc)

• Linda Doyle
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I like the idea of softening the death drop on the side. adding a deck is somewhat of an option but can this be done without completely covering the air conditioner unit? it needs air flow. does anyone know a software that can help me with this?
  • mramsey
    8 years ago

Just ask the manufacturer or whoever does your HVAC maintenance re clearance etc.