Software
Houzz Logo Print
dogsrus513

Dining room furniture

11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago



Hello,

I recently remodeled my kitchen. Wanted to get some feed back about this dining room furniture. The China hutch on the base isn't included in this photo. The furniture is pretty, but these kind of China Hutches are not in style anymore, the chairs are really heavy and I feel like there is too much furniture for this small room. So I'm searching for some new ideas. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Comments (15)

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    It doesn't look like there is a leaf to remove, so I would get a smaller table and chairs, as the light is not centered to this one.;)

    dogsrus513 thanked User
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Thank you very much for responding. There is one leaf in the table. If we remove the leaf then all 6 chairs won't fit around it. We plan on moving the light over since the contractor didn't center it.

    I'm looking into getting upholstered chairs. Great ideas!!

    Does this light look too small for the table?

    Thanks again:)

  • 11 years ago

    It's a beautiful light and it fits in with the decor, but it does look small for the table because it's off centered.

    dogsrus513 thanked Alicia Abbey
  • 11 years ago

    Beautiful dining set but quite heavy looking, especially as regards the light. You could sell it on Craig's List or other outlet and use the money for a smaller set and adjusting the light.

    dogsrus513 thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 11 years ago

    As you said, the furniture is heavy. I would lighten it up with some simple, upholstered chairs.

    dogsrus513 thanked inabunker
  • 11 years ago
    We faced a similar delimma with our 30 year old traditional dining room set. The room was already painted the purple color which we loved but the furniture needed to be modernized. My friend decorator had the chairs painted med gray with updated fabric and we removed the China cabinet hutch. She also added the jute rugs and updated accessories (some I already had). I think those few changes made a big difference. it didn't cost very much to have the chairs painted and enabled me to upcycle what I already had. Good luck!
    dogsrus513 thanked Renee
  • 11 years ago
    Question, how many do you need table to seat? If 4 is sufficient, then take leaf out. If you need to seat 6 center chandelier over current table. Painting the chairs is an interesting idea but also like Parsons. Can't see entire chandelier so can't comment on style but wonder how high it is hung. It should be between 30 and 36 inches above table. Maybe it is just photo angle but it looks a little high now.
    dogsrus513 thanked catsw
  • 11 years ago

    We need to seat 6 - 8 people. I can't seat 8 people comfortably with one leaf in and the table is too big to put the second leaf in. This table should accommodate 8 people comfortably with just one leaf. My other table was the same size and we could seat 8 - 10. The chairs are too wide, deep and very uncomfortable.

    I actually just bought this furniture. I informed the furniture store that it dosent fit right so they are exchanging it for something else. If I don't find anything else there I will pay a 10% restocking fee. Just trying to figure out what to get since I'm starting over:(

    You're right, I think the chandlier is too high. We plan on moving the chandlier over when we find the correct table.

    I like the idea about adding upholstered chairs, but I have 7 grandkids that come to visit so I can't get a light color.

    I'll try to post more pictures of the chandlier and the kitchen.

    I really appreciate everyone's feedback!! Thank you!!




  • 11 years ago

    You might be happier with a 72" round table. It should seat 8-9 people. Keep in mind the 24" requirement for each place setting. This often crowds people at the end of the table. Your room may not be large enough for a 96" table for 8. You also need 24" all around the table for chair scoot and sit space without hitting the walls or furniture on the walls. Painter's tape on the floor may give you a better feeling for what you need.

    dogsrus513 thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 11 years ago
    How often do you sit 8 people? If a few times a year, then you only need table that will expand to eight on occasion. If you need 8 every month or more then consider round table. Also infor regarding chair scoot etc. was sound and needs consideration.

    I personally would go with something a little less formal to tie in with kitchen and would you consider faux leather Parson chairs that would wash off or washable slip covers?
    dogsrus513 thanked catsw
  • 11 years ago
    Forgot to say, you can seat more people comfortable with pedestal table than with four legs. Always hate to be the person stuck with the leg.
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Keep them...paint the chairs white.



    Balsam Drive · More Info

  • 11 years ago

    Thank you so much for all the great ideas! I'm going to research some more casual dining room sets with faux leather seats.

  • 11 years ago
    If it was meI would paint half the chairs in a white distressed look and paint the legs on the table to match
    You can also cover the upholstery with a translucent vinyl cover that can be wiped and protect the fabric.
    dogsrus513 thanked isabelladesigns