Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gabriellapol

I can't believe this is "Black Baccara"

mmjau zone 6
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I bought this bare root rose this spring, "Black Baccara" But it doesn't look anything like it is supposed to? This is the first time it blooms so maybe I should wait. It is velvety, and dark.. But it is suppose to be dark red to black and not dark purple. Anyone that has seen a Black Baccara like this? I mean... The rose is absolutely stunning! Lovely color. But not what I thought. Is the Black Baccara really growing in clusters like mine?

It's a little darker in real life, than in these pictures:

Comments (35)

• bossyvossy
    8 years ago

The Dark Lady is not nearly as dark as black baccara but dark enough. I was beyond disappointed when it bloomed a lighter color. I actually called DA roses in the UK and their reply was that B/c of soil, temps, etc color seemed to bloom lighter in USA. While those factors do affect color, I suspect some people do photoshop to intensify colors. You prob have the right rose.

• mmjau zone 6
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you.. I have fed it used coffee grounds. Could I have made the soil sour? Sour soul = Lighter color?

• bossyvossy
    8 years ago
    I don't know what sour soil is. I do know coffee grounds is an amendment used to improve clay soil (I use it). IME it would take a dump truck of any additive to change soil makeup. You have what you have and going but your beautiful pics, it ain't bad at all
  • diane_nj 6b/7a
    8 years ago

Looks more like Intrigue to me.

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Sure doesn't look like Black Baccara to me either.

Carol

• bossyvossy
    8 years ago
    It looks like 15+ roses that turned out a deep pink in my tx climate. Very frustrating. I realize we are in diff climates and fading shouldn't be as severe where you are but reds and blues are constant source of disappointment to many. The only ones that appear to retain their color or he true IMO, are purple roses, don't know why. Also when it cools down all colors seem richer and more saturated. I bet yours will improve too
  • mmjau zone 6
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you all. I have two of them in pots. I'll try to put one of them in more shade and see what happens.

• bossyvossy
    8 years ago
    But careful, more shade may also mean less blooms.
  • taoseeker
    8 years ago

I would go visist a public rose garden or something to have something else than pictures to compare with, maybe get a Black Baccara from a different source. It's hard to tell from photos and computer screens, but BB has a bit more shine to the leaves than your's do mmjau, and it's much more of a true red too. Only ever so slight fragrance.

• littleblackbat
    8 years ago

Black Baccara was originally a florist rose, so it should have very thick velvety petals, an exhibition form, and last a long time as a cut rose in a vase. I don't think it looks like Black Baccara at all, the petal form on yours looks too light and loose, but maybe it's because it's not mature. Who did you buy it bareroot from? I recommend giving Roses Unlimited a try, I got 3 rare own roots from them this year, and the plants they send are huge for bands.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    8 years ago

I've had Black Baccara for over 10 years. It has never looked like that in the photo.

BUT what you have there is a really pretty rose. You may have gotten a better plant than BB. Dark color ain't everything.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    8 years ago

I don't grow many modern roses and certainly wouldn't grow Black Baccara, but would take your beautiful purple rose any time. I think it's absolutely gorgeous.

• seil zone 6b MI
    8 years ago

Nope, not BB. Besides the color the form is wrong too.

• kittymoonbeam
    8 years ago

They should give you the right rose. It will be easy to find this one a home if you don't want to keep it.

• altorama Ray
    8 years ago

The foliage looks right to me. Sometimes, especially in the heat, bloom form and color aren't a reliable way to confirm or rule out the identity of a rose.

• susan4952
    8 years ago

My BB looks nothing like any of these pics. First one looks exactly like my intrigue , and seil that looks like my dark knight.

• susan4952
    8 years ago

Intrigue with the characteristic white stripe

• susan4952
    8 years ago

My bb has no other color worked in

• susan4952
    8 years ago

Seil, I know you know roses but sometimes my dk can be predominantly burgundy with just a smidge of yellow at the base. First flush is true yellow reverse.

• Bossy vossy
    8 years ago

If you have a chance, go to Helpmefind.com, search BB and look at pics as well as people's comments. what I would consider a PITA rose. Only some guy from Portugal, I think, has a pic that looks blackish red.

• susan4952
    8 years ago

What is a pita rose

• roseseek
    8 years ago

"Pain In The rear"... It didn't look like BB to me because of the healthy foliage. That dawg mildewed and rusted for me in Newhall twelve months of the year, even when nothing else did. The only worse rose there was Leonidas.

• susan4952
    8 years ago

Lol... Thought PITA stood for pretty in the afternoon. It's not great in Chicago, either. But that one blossom of dark red velvet ...oh my❤️

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    8 years ago

LOL, PITA=Pain In The A** or Pretty In The Afternoon. I'm not sure which meaning I like better, but both made me laugh. I think I've had both types in my garden. Mmjau, I hope you get the rose you want, but the one pictured looks wonderful.

• rosaceae
    8 years ago

It made me think of Burgundy Iceberg. I'm not saying you got the wrong rose, but it would explain the clusters, being a floribunda. Reportedly it has a strong scent, does yours have? I also see a bit of white at the center of the petals, which BI has. If it has all of this and then dark stamens, it should be it, that's its trademark. It can look quite velvety and dark. It is pretty, whatever it turns out to be.

• mmjau zone 6
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you everyone :) It actually has white powder on some leaves, since it rained so much here I guess it got a little sick. It fits the problems people describe black baccara has. But I agree, it really looks like burgrundy iceberg or some other rose

• susan4952
    8 years ago

Ok........now I want another one!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    8 years ago

I love both color expressions on these two roses--Seil's gorgeous BB, and mmjau's beautiful purplish one. Being a "purple" person, I'd probably choose to go with the mystery rose. Boy, I hope you find out what it is, mmjau. I think I'd like one. Diane

• susan4952
    8 years ago

It DOES look like burgundy iceberg

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    8 years ago

BI has white at the base of the petals.

BB has very little disease here, but the plant is awkward and a big flush is about 5 flowers. Steady producer, tho. The flowers last about a month. I keep it as a curiosity, since it doesn't take up much space. The flowers stay very tight, don't open up much. This is in full sun, just taken.

• susan4952
    8 years ago

With all of its issues, these pics of BB make me want another one

• msdorkgirl
    8 years ago

Yes looking at all of these samples and I want a dark red one too! Thanks folks for making me covet almost every rose I see!

I could only wish my Intrigue would have such a full bloom color (mine ends up almost like a single or double petal count when it blooms out).

Intrigue --- leaves are more oval and go to a point

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    8 years ago

I don't think mmjau's rose looks like Burgundy Iceberg. The form is different.

• susan4952
    8 years ago

I think it's intrigue but I was shot down. Lol