Software
Houzz Logo Print
agobear

Rug Suggestions?

11 years ago

Hi awesome Houzzers -- Below shows my "Happy Room" - where I read, hang out with teenagers while dinner is cooking. I welcome ideas to warm up this corner (I"ve already hung a favorite painting on wall behind lamp).

It feels like it needs a rug - maybe oval? It's a 1920 craftsman. Floor is red oak. Loveseat is dark green leather. Chair is dark brown. I'll post the rest of the room to show style.

(I will also be looking for something to hang on big wall along stairs, but I'm not quite ready for that decision!)

Thanks for your suggestions!



Comments (23)

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    wow, I just love this house. great vibes. im thinking first maybe stain the rail to match the window frames. flip the couch with the chair. couch under window, and chair to railing. with the end table. add an ottoman and a beige with hits of blue rug. perhaps add a second chair

    Adrienne Go thanked User
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
  • 11 years ago

    The door and windows in the kitchen are pretty. I would suggest moving the sofa where the chair is and putting the chair to the left of the sofa. I would do a rectangular rug with a pattern that includes bits of the brown and the blue as well as cream. Although I cannot see the entire stairs wall, I'm not sure you need something on that wall since the railing, windows, and sloping ceiling already create some visual interest and I would wonder if adding art may make it too visually busy and detract from the nice architecture.

    Adrienne Go thanked Elle
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    As I posted my note, I see a rug that was just suggested and it is exactly the style I had in mind. The lamp is also nice and would work as well. Good selections flairlighting.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    You are right, a carpet is what you need to warm this room up. May I suggest a Mid-Century flat weave in keeping with the style of the house.


    Check these mid-century Modern carpets.


    Adrienne Go thanked NASIRI Carpets
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Your room is so fresh and bright and I would look for a flat weave Kilim rug that feels that as well. I agree with moving the couch, but I would suggest staying away from an oval shape rug..they mostly feel outdated and rectangle is much easier for furniture placement.

    9'x12' Stripe Design Flat Weave Rug/Colorful Stripe Kilim Rug · More Info

    Adrienne Go thanked Maureen
  • 11 years ago

    My rug of choice;)

    Casa Overscale Traditional Beige and Orange Rug, 7'10"x10'10" · More Info

    Adrienne Go thanked User
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    agobear

    We make an entire line of Arts & Crafts Craftsman style carpets some of which would be perfect and appropriate in your happy room. Look at the "Oak Park" It has both the blue green of the sofa and the mahogany red of the chair and will contrast well with the lighter floors. You need a rectangular rug in that space.

    Adrienne Go thanked The Persian Carpet
  • 11 years ago

    I agree to go rectangular. I love the house & this idea for a small grouping goes hand-in-hand with craftsman decor. Less is more.

    Poeme Rust Chamberey Rug · More Info

  • 11 years ago

    I think Margo's recommendation would be good in that space.

  • 11 years ago

    I also think your kitchen window wall is so nice that you don't need draperies on those windows (unless you need them for sun).

    Adrienne Go thanked Elle
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks elle4maison. Yes when we first finished the work we had no curtains and loved the simplicity of the windows. But the morning sun is very strong. They are lightweight sheers so they just filter.
  • 11 years ago
    It seems like most are voting for patterned rugs?

    I will definitely get a rectangle based on these suggestions. Will swap the couch and chair to see how that looks.
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks all for suggestions as to swapping chair and love seat. Does this look better or does it crowd the breakfast table?
  • 11 years ago
    One more
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    A Tribal pattern rug would be contemporary. Your area has almost a mission feel to it which would call for something woven-like with an organic texture. Stay on the contemporary side; not an oriental rug.

  • 11 years ago

    I'd go with something earthy, like a flat weave kilim rug.

  • 11 years ago
    I know this doesn't answer your rug question, but move the couch back to where it was originally and get a small coffee table. Move the chair to another room. You already have enough chairs in that space.
  • 11 years ago

    If the sofa is on that wall, it should ideally be centered on the window but it now appears it would be too close to the dining table. Based on your original photo of the kitchen, I thought you were in the sitting area when you took that photo, but I now see the corner of the sofa in the original photo. I agree with moving the sofa and chair back where they were with the sofa against the railing.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    When you are looking for art, consider bringing the outdoors (nature) inside.

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Turn the table the other way that will open it up