Software
Houzz Logo Print
lindamryan

My family room windows need your help!!!

11 years ago


Linda Ryan

QUESTION

I have a very large den (18' x 35') which we are in the process of redecorating. A fireplace is sort of centered on the longest wall and is flanked by two large windows. Each window section has two 34" x 64" windows with an arch window above the two). Since it is such a large room we are dividing it into a TV area and a fireplace seating. The floor is laminate in a medium oak (with golden tones). We have a new sofa, loveseat and large chair with ottoman which is rather rustic looking - microfiber which looks like a bomber jacket. We bought a Jofran Urban lodge console for our 60" TV which is currently placed in the corner. We have matching Urban Lodge nesting tables in another corner between sofa and loveseat with a tiffany-style floor lamp behind it. We just purchased one occasional recliner chair for the fireplace seating (Macy's Bryn recliner) and plan to put a small table next to it. Although I wanted separate seating areas I did want to separate the two areas with the back of the loveseat or sofa. The walls are painted a cream color and the trim is a darker color on the paint strip - a golden color. I have an 8' x 10' area rug for the one seating area - American Rug Craftsman Heritage Canoe - a rustic looking multi color striped rug - although it is multi-colored, I see more of the reds and want to play that color up in my window treatments. My dilemma is the window treatments. I do not have a great view out of the windows so would prefer to keep them covered. I do not want to totally cover the arch. Was thinking of a stained glass piece for each arch. Should I use blinds (wood or aluminum) on the windows? If wood, should I try to match the other woods in the room or contrast woods? Or mini blinds perhaps; if so, what color? ? Should I also use curtains? If so, panels? Can I use stained glass pieces in the arch if I have wood blinds on the windows? If I use roman shades, can I pick up the red in the rug? Solid roman shades or pattern - the occasional chair is a paisley of reds, browns and other earthy colors.

Help!!

Comments (15)

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I understand the usefulness of shades. and don't have a problem with what you have now, you can still keep them for light control. But, especially in such a heavily founded room I think light sheers would be wonderful I would use white, white always goes with windows no matter what is else where or cream if you like. You could then have curtains draped to either side even if you never use them. I think your room would look better without the modern ringed ones, it is a cut above casual modern.

    examples and I know these may feel a little to much, but the room could handle it and it would really soften things.

    ok, talk about overwhelming you, I just can't help myself. tehehe

    pure simple white

    Antigua Off White Striped Linen Sheer Curtain · More Info
    see the clips at the top? a little more casual but still could be nice
    Carlton Linen Blend Stripe Sheer Curtain, Single Panel, Taupe · More Info
    these are regular curtain to put over your sheers, great in extreme heat or cold and the just add that touch of glamour
    Ulinkly New Release 11, 54"x96" · More Info
    another style, i know they are not cheap, but if you like them you could always find a less expensive replacement.
    Luxurious Window Curtain, Modern Dance, 54"x96" · More Info
    this is another type of blind I love, I made my own once, from fabric, can drop from top allowing light, but above any prying eyes or traffic if it is a problem
    Modern Dining Room · More Info

    i believe these are semi sheers, but i think they are great

    Mia Beige Window Curtains, Set of 2 · More Info

    if you can't find stained glass and you don't want the stained glass sheets, this company custom designs.
    whew, im done, off to bed

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks everybody for your great and thoughtful comments. Taking everything into consideration! My head is spinning LOL!

  • 11 years ago

    I like plantation shutters about 2/3rds of the way up. White ones. Leave te rest uncovered.


    lindamryan thanked Chris Price
  • 11 years ago
    Hi! I would not leave the arch open... I would hang white curtains from the top and the windows would feel taller and modern! Good luck!!!
    lindamryan thanked samadhiyo
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Hi Linda! You have a warm rustic luxe family room! You appear to have a lot of light and glare coming in the top of the arch. Is this a concern while watching tv in the one section of the room? Like a few others who have commented, I would recommend you consider shutters. I like stained wood shutters for your room best. The louvers in the arch can be left open for light and the bottom louvers can be operated separately for privacy or glare. A stained tone to complement your wood floors and wood furniture accents would give the room a warm cozy feel.

    Or, if you would like to use fabric as indicated, a Roman shade in a beautiful red tone would add color and vibrancy to the room. You could place also place Tableaux Faux Iron in the arch to beautifully accent the height of your room. I would recommend a design somewhat more intricate than the one shown to cut down on any glare you may have. Hope these suggestions help!

  • 11 years ago

    Thank you soooo much. I am taking all of these ideas into consideration. I like the idea of the red toned roman shades (do they come in bottom up/top down). I have some red fabric samples for roman shades that I am trying to match with the red in the area rug and also the red in the paisley recliner. One other question: do I need another rug in the fireplace seating? If so, I am not sure what color. I would assume it should be a solid color since I have the paisley fabric on the recliner. But I don't know what color to pick up on - don't want to clash with the roman shades if I get them in red.

  • 11 years ago

    I like the brown shutters or wrought iron look. Try to stick with a neutral color such as brown for the shutters bc if you decide to redecorate they'll still work. On a side note: Looking at your room, I would use the fireplace as the focal point and put the couch, chair etc in front of it. Possibly with a sofa table behind the couch. Then a large rug in front of the fireplace with the furniture slightly on the rug would anchor the room. Then on the sides you could do a small sitting area, such as a chaise or comfy chair and ottoman with a small end table and light...for a cozy reading area. The other side could have be similar. Put a small round rug on both sides with complimenting colors and the space will look balanced, and have multi purpose. Just a thought. :-)

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks for your comments. I like shutters but I don't want white and I am afraid with brown wood shutters there will be too much brown in the room. I need more color. The only color I have in the room is the one area rug, a few throw pillows and the paisley chair. As well, I love the faux iron grills but they would be super expensive for the size of my half moon window and I am on somewhat of a budget. I like your idea of making the fireplace the focal point but the rest of my family would not like it at all. They all are tv watchers including my husband and I do not like the over-the-fireplace mounted TV look. So I have to keep most of the furniture in the tv viewing area unfortunately with one or two chairs around the fireplace. But thanks for taking the time to comment. This is a great site and I am getting good ideas. Now I have to contribute some of my own ..... although I am not great with decorating or gardening lol!

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    They make window "clings" that lessen the glare of the sun, while leaving the view.



  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Hi Linda, I do agree with your statement about having too much brown in the room, and being afraid of adding wood shutters would only darken the look and feel.. I had a client, with a similar dilema, and that's figuring out how to encase these demilune windows? In my clients case, I did a faux roman valance on top with traversing sheers, that sill allowed light and stationary decorative side panels. I think what you should figure out first, is what is your priority. Lighting? Privacy? Looks? Black outs? And then blending it all together to make it work for you.


    After

    before

    One recommendation though, to help lighten up your furnishings, and easy enough is, some light colored throw pillows on your seating.. Maybe pull from a color on your rug, or your paisley chairs..

    Reach out to us if you need help.

    Warm regards,

    Keren Aydogan

  • 11 years ago

    Thank you Keren. Since we don't have a great view out of our windows, I really didn't want to cover the half circle completely because we see some tall trees through them and it looks pretty during the different seasons, that is, colorful in the fall, snow-covered and also naked trees in the winter, different kinds of skies. Just need to cut the glare a little. I've seen some pretty window treatments for the half circle where sheers are kind of criss-crossed on the window ... so you can still see through them but the glare is cut somewhat. But I need something for the windows on the bottom. I was thinking roman shades in a red color (do they make them top down/bottom up?) If I use roman shades, I don't think I can use the sheer curtains across the half circle?

  • 11 years ago

    Another question for you Keren. I was toying with the idea of a stained glass panel in the half circle. I can't fill the entire area - it is large and would be too expensive. How would an oval piece (I am getting dimensions) look in each window. I would use colors as shown in the photos:

    Your thoughts? Thank you so very much.


  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Hi Linda,

    I think you are talking about Jabots. They look something like this and they overlap.

    I wouldn't want you to go in this direction, as it would make your home look more traditional than rustic.. I love your stained glass idea over the top of the arched opening. An oval piece would look good, but what about doing a series, i.e. a bigger one in the center and two smaller ones on either side. I do think if you're going with the stain glass idea, you should do a roman valance that opens up, and still put sheers on either side.. It doesn't look bad- I did it if for a client. Or if you're thinking of going with the shutter-do the lighter color wood tone.

    My recommendation on your side panels or sheer, would be to try and take it up as high as possible, so that it doesn't look so cluttered. Did a little fast sketch for you.

    My last piece of advice is, try to pull a cooler tone from your rug, as opposed to the red.

    You mentioned that your leather has a bomber jacket feel, so I would say what looks really good with a bomber jacket? White t-shirt and jeans(think James dean,LOL). Anyway, I would pull the blue from your carpet, instead of the red. There is a psychology to colors, and you might end up feeling overwhelmed with sooooo much red and warm colors. I think you need something cooling.

    Bye,

    Keren Aydogan

  • 11 years ago

    Karen, Thanks again for your ideas. I wasn't thinking about jabots; see photo below for the window treatment I liked for the half-moon. Not sure it would go with my decor though, unless I went with a blue "denim-look" fabric.