Software
Houzz Logo Print
cincycaddy

Single, Dual and Variable Trane

11 years ago

We are looking to replace a 20 yr old Trane XE80, 80k btu furnace and XE1000 2.5 tonne ac unit. Our home was built in 1996 and is a 1900 sq. ft colonial (Cincinnati, OH ) Master bedroom over non-conditioned 3 car garage (garage has insulated doors) Original double pane windows, house faces due east. In addition to replacing the furnace we are bringing the attic insulation up to R60 and have e-shield installed in attic above garage(outside walls of master bedroom)

Our master bedroom runs about 5 degrees warmer than the rest of the house in the summer. I don't recall the temp diff in winter but it is the coolest in the house.

We are looking to go with a dual stage variable speed furnace and either a single or dual stage condensing unit. Our options from contractors are:

Trane XV95 60k btu w/ XR16 2.5 tonne with Trane 824 t-stat and Honeywell F100 filter $7260

Trane XV95 60k btu w/ XR17 3 tonne with Trane 824 t-stat and Honeywell F100 filter $8350

Trane XV95 60k btu w/ XL18i 3 tonne with Trane 824 t-stat and Honeywell F100 filter $8680

We have a similar quote with American Standard equivalents (I'm using Trane models for ease) with slightly higher base pricing but with a $500 option for a XC95M Furnace w/ the XR16, XR17 or XL18i. We also have been quoted $9598 for a 60k BTU XC95M and 3 tonne XV18 w/ matching Trane 850 T-stat.

My question is what would be the best value? We are looking to most importantly address the room over the master. My understanding is the longer run time of a 2 stage will allow for that room to cool down further. One contractor noted they would be concerned about the modulating XC95M not having enough CFM on lower BTU settings to effectively heat our master.

We are leaning towards the XV95 w/ XR16 but if it makes sense to jump into a XC95M w/ XR16 for $500 more we figure why not. If it won't help make our home any more comfortable then it is a moot point if it is slightly more efficient. Lastly is the Trane 850 control (and algorithms) worth stepping up to the full blown XC95M and XV18?

Sorry for the long post but I keep getting conflicting answers from each different dealer.

Cheers,

Chris.

Comments (28)

  • 11 years ago

    The best value is option #1, however I would want to see a load calc for cooling.

    Having said that, the modulating furnace and the 2 stage XR17 are more about comfort rather than savings.

    And now is the time for your dealer to make recommendation for improving the temp difference for your master bedroom. FROGs (finished rooms over garage) are notorious for poor heating and cooling usually due to inadequate insulation properties and poor ductwork sizing/design.

    I prefer Trane's Perfect Fit Media Filter cabinet over HW F100, a better and heavy duty cabinet that actually fits the furnace like a glove. I would consider that.

    as to the communicating furnace, I would never purchase the XC95m without a fully communicating system including a communicating AC condenser and Trane's proprietary communicating controller/thermostat. All of this comes with a price but no doubt great HVAC.

    IMO

  • 11 years ago

    How much insulation does the attic have now? Is this an attempt to solve the master bedroom temperature problem? R60 insulation in the attic is over kill in my opinion. The problem is mostly likely the insulation between the garage ceiling and the master bedroom floor. That needs to be checked.

  • 11 years ago

    The attic has ~ 9 inches of blown in insulation. We have recently done some work in the master bedroom and attached master bath which required taking parts of the ceiling down and I did not get all areas back to the 9 inches that the rest of the attic is at. So that is part of the problem, although when we had the full 9 inches when we first moved in, this bedroom was still the hottest/coldest although the temp delta may not have been as high as 5 degrees.

    There is a bit of insulation above the garage drywall (which is part of the floor in the master). Two walls of the master are part of the attic space above the garage. These currently have insulation between the drywall(master) and OSB (garage). Insulation contractor is proposing facing with e-shield. I'm not sure what the alternative is (beyond conditioning the garage).

    Tigerdunes thanks for the response both here and on the other forum.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I have no experience with e-shield and can't comment how effective it would be.

    Not sure what you mean by a "bit of insulation above the garage drywall". The garage can get very hot in the summer and the heat will rise into the bedroom. I would want at least R19 in the garage ceiling. This will mean tearing out the drywall. If it is not a big area, you could pull out the old insulation and install spray foam insulation. This will also act as a sealer to prevent any fumes from rising into the bedroom.

    The wall between the attic and the bedroom should have R30 insulation. The attic temperature can easily get to 120 degrees in the summer. You want as much insulation as you can fit. This is another area where spray foam can get a high R value in a small space.

    Have the HVAC contractor inspect the air flow to the master bedroom. He may be able to modify the duct work if you open any walls or ceilings.

  • 11 years ago

    Mike - I think we may try to have an independent home energy audit performed. Someone who isn't selling insulation or a furnace. It's kind of like asking a Toyota salesman to comment on the performance and reliability of a Ford, they only want to sell you a Toyota.


    Chris.

  • 11 years ago

    Chris - It is hard to make a living as a independent home energy auditor. I find most of these guys are part of an HVAC company and are trying to sell you additional products and services. If you can find someone who is truly unbiased, then go for it.

  • 11 years ago

    So we had a final quote on a system. Heat load is coming up with 27,000 BTU or 2.25 tons. Contractor is recommending a single stage 2.5 ton unit. I for one reason or another have in my head a two stage condensing unit is the better solution with an increased run time with the first stage- but they only come in 2 and 3 ton sizes (70% 1st stage). A 3 ton would be too big and a 2 ton too small. A variable speed 3 ton unit would probably be a compromise, who knows.

    Contractor is recommending a supply duct modification to increase airflow to the second floor and including duct sealing in his quote. We are hoping that the increased SEER of the XR15/XR16 combined with the increased airflow will help to fix out problem. I will say out of the 6 quotes we had, the last contractor was the only one to measure the actual CFM in the room we are having issues with.

  • 11 years ago

    A larger 2 stage condenser will not solve your upstairs problem and actually could make it worse. I assume you have adequate return(s) for upstairs. Your issue is quite typical for a 2 story home and usually is caused by poor insulation and/or poor ductwork sizing/design. I like the idea that dealer is trying to improve airflow to upstairs. Without zoning controls, most pros believe that properly sized single stage condensers are better advised for the problem you are having. I would stick with option #1 and go with Trane's Perfect Fit media cabinet.

    IMO

  • 11 years ago

    Last question. Any reason to look at anything other than the trane xl824 with the xv95 and xr15? I recall reading about the honeywell iaq somewhere being recommended but cannot find that reference now. I'm not interested in the nest or lyric

  • 11 years ago

    I suggest you discuss this with your dealer. Let them know whether you are interested in WiFi or not. Honeywell VP IAQ was improved on by the release of HW Prestige 2.0. Be aware that Honeywell makes Trane branded thermostat controllers whether proprietary or not. Two features that you definitely want is dehumidify on demand for AC cooling plus controlling 2 stage heat based on demand. I would go with Trane Perfect Fit Media cabinet. What model evap coil was quoted? You are getting a very nice system that should give you years of great service and comfort.

    IMO

  • 11 years ago

    No coil listed yet on his proposal just listed as "matched".

  • 11 years ago

    Lack of coil mdl number from dealer not acceptable. Request specific model number and I will check the AHRI Directory's performance /efficiency numbers. And just so you know, third party evap coils are a definite no. Post back when you find out.

    IMO

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks - I was on the AHRI site the other day. Is there a Good/Better/Best in 2.5 ton Trane coils that I should be looking for?

  • 11 years ago

    The Trane coil for your application that provides the best performance/efficiency numbers.

    IMO

  • 11 years ago

    We've convinced ourselves to go with a dual fuel unit and are considering the following XR15 or XR16. We are exploring the XR17 dual stage if added cost is minimal. I understand we'd be oversized with the XR17 (3 ton only) at 100% but I assume we'd be running at 67% under all but the hottest of days.

    XR15 - 4TWR7036B1

    XV95 - UH2B060A9V3

    Coil - 4TXCB004CC3

    SEER - 15, Area IV HSPS - 9.0


    -------------------------------------------------------------

    XR16 - 4TWR6030H1 (~$75 more)

    XV95 - UH2B060A9V3

    Coil - 4TXCB004CC3

    SEER - 16, Area IV HSPS - 9.0


    ----------------------------------------------------------

    Dual

    XR17 - 4TWR7036B1 (~$TBD more)

    XV95 - UH2B060A9V3

    Coil - 4TXCC005CC3 (coil TBD)

    SEER - 16.25, Area IV HSPS - 9.0


  • 11 years ago

    Disappointing...a waste of money...what do you see as the benefit of a dual fuel system?...what are your electric and nat gas rates?...if going up in condenser size on the XR17, has your dealer verified that your ductwork can handle the extra CFMs?...

    Just so you know, on your first configuration lists XR15 but the model number is the XR17.

    IMO

  • 11 years ago

    Latest Bill


    Gas

    Res Transportation
    Fixed Delivery Service Charge $ 33.03

    Usage-Based Charge
    14 CCF $ 0.03272800 @ 0.46

    Gas Delivery Riders 8.77
    Applicable Surcharge
    14 CCF $ 0.00393120 @ cr 0.06cr

    Rate CY05 - CincinnatiBell Energy
    Gas Supplier Energy Chg
    14 CCF $ 0.51060000 @ $ 7.15


    Electric

    Distribution-Customer Chg $ 6.00

    Delivery Charges

    Distribution-Energy Chg
    1,519 kWh $ 0.02534200 @ 38.49

    Delivery Riders 30.00
    Total Delivery Charges $ 68.49

    CincinnatiBell Energy
    Rate CB32

    -CincinnatiBell Energy
    Supplier Energy Charge
    1,519 kWh $ 0.07040000 @ $ 106.94

  • 11 years ago

    In regards to Dual Fuel - I like the idea of having the lower BTU at the coil and running the variable speed fan more often during the winter.


    After looking at the numbers we are leaning towards the XR16 over the XR15 for just a few dollars more. I forgot until I reviewed my notes that that XR17 is only available as a 2 or 3 ton.

  • 11 years ago

    I will not interpret your rates for you. That's your job. Give me a good average all inclusive charges for both electric and nat gas and I will run a fuel comparison for you to be used as a guide. Generally I like to take several mths electric bill, add the costs and divide by the KWHs used. Same with nat gas except therms.

    And so you know, the high stage heating on the 3 ton XR17 HP would step on the low stage of the XV95 furnace.

    TD

  • 11 years ago

    $.55/therm natural gas and $.095/kw for electric.

  • 11 years ago

    Ok - took the last 12 mo average

    .62457/ccf

    .09609/kwh

  • 11 years ago

    In regards to Dual Fuel - I like the idea of having the lower BTU at the coil and running the variable speed fan more often during the winter. .????

  • 11 years ago

    Figures don't change much...gas is a better option, DF overkill and not cost effective...

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks for running the numbers. I do appreciate it. For all intents it looks like at current rates it's 2 times more expensive to run a HP vs a NG furnace.


  • 11 years ago


    Cost per 100,000 btu of useable heat


    Electric baseboard: $2.53

    Heat pump: $0.94

    Natural gas: $0.64


    not quite 50% more to run HP

  • 11 years ago

    It makes no sense to get a heat pump. Even if the costs were close, in the long run you are better off with an AC only condenser.

  • 11 years ago

    If believe that extra wear and tear on the heat pump system using it to heat is another higher cost than running the furnace so you have to ADD to the cost/btu for system lifetime costs.