Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zyas

Please help with this powder room

zyas
8 years ago
I need some help with this powder room please. When we moved in a few months ago the tiles on the wall were pink. My husband used the paint sprayer to paint over them with white and now they have a weird texture to them.

I just do not like this room at all and id love to redo the whole thing. We already have another sink and vanity to replace this current one.

I'm leaning towards a beachy theme - subtle- not over the top.

How hard is it to remove all those tiles from the walls? And then what should we do to the walls? Would putting up some of those thin wall panels on top of the drywall work and then painting over it?

We already did the floors in here, just white tile but I would love to put some sort of crown moulding in as well.

Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (45)

• Jennifer Vance
    8 years ago
    The tiles will need to be chipped off and then yes, some wainscoting over the top with a chair rail, plus a different light fixture would really help.
    zyas thanked Jennifer Vance
  • charleee
    8 years ago

When were the tiles installed? Tiles from the 60's contain lead, please be careful.

zyas thanked charleee
  • zyas
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I'm not sure when the tiles were installed. They had a very 70's/80's look to them before we painted over them. Possibly could be from the 60's but were pink tiles popular then? If they do contain lead, what is the best way to remove them?

• charleee
    8 years ago

If they contain lead you do not remove them yourselves, you need to call a hazmat company to do it for you. Lead is a poison. You might try calling a company like Miracle Method that can come and coat the tiles for you in whatever color you choose.

• kathleen MK
    8 years ago
    Lead is usually only in low fire glazes and most USA made commercial tiles are fire too high for lead based glazes. It more of a problem for ceramics for serving food. I would just wear a dust mask and wash hand before eating.
    Why chip it out when you could bead board right over it if you want a wainscoting? For such a small space I would chip off tile, retexture the whole wall and repaint a solid light color. trying to match the sand color of counter could get tricky, so find a water or sky color you like.
    zyas thanked kathleen MK
  • charleee
    8 years ago

Kathleen MK, I worked for many a hazmat remediater and I know I would never take that chance.

• jck910
    8 years ago

We took tile down in 2 bathrooms from 60's lead not a problem. But the wallboard/sheetrock )or whatever you call it) gets damaged even with care, so you may need to replace walls.

zyas thanked jck910
  • hikingrocks
    8 years ago
    Agree with Dan! We removed backsplash tile from behind our fridge in the kitchen and after painstakingly removing each tile, we ended up ripping out the entire sheet of drywall due to holes and damage. It would have been easier from the beginning to simply remove the entire piece of drywall and replace it.
    zyas thanked hikingrocks
  • charleee
    8 years ago

hikingrocks - OMG that must have been so much work! Lesson learned!

• linlac
    8 years ago
    kathleen is right that you can use wainscoting right over the tile. Perfect for your beach theme.
    zyas thanked linlac
  • PRO
    Angela Rasmussen
    8 years ago

Zyas, we just recently worked on a space very similar to yours. It was a small powder room similar in color. We did add some beautiful wainscoting to the space which you can do as well. If you are going to remove the tile, I also agree with Dan it will be a lot more work for you later by just removing the tile. I have attached a photo of our recently finished powder room for some inspiration.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

yes cut it out re drywall the whole lower space. the whole wall behind the sink and toilet actually, so you can move the power source for the light fixture. but keep the cool med. cab. is this just powder?

that old vanity/ medicide cabinet, is what people die for these days its a total keeper. just move the light source out if you can and re wood around it. love that little drawer.

also lower the other plug and power once you are in there and think about some floating shelves over the toilet.

• homerenoqueen
    8 years ago

Hi Zyas: I removed tile from a kitchen backsplash a few years ago and it truly made a mess of the sheetrock. I agree with previous comments about either just cutting it out or wainscotting over top - I tried to just spackle/patch the damage but then ended up just cutting it out. Re the bathroom, my recent reno on our main floor bathroom is along the same theme you're looking for. We used textured paintable wallpaper (looks like grasscloth) from the ceiling down to 36" off the floor (painted a very pale turquoise blue), installed wainscot on the lower half of the walls painted fresh white, and topped the wainscot with a row of 4" tumbled slate border tile in shades of brown, grey and taupe. We completed the look with brushed nickel accessories and a custom window blind with 2" slats that are the colour of faded driftwood. The result was exactly the beachy feel we were looking for. Using wallpaper in a steamy bathroom was my only concern, but has been on for 2 years now and is standing up well, seams aren't peeling. When it's time to reno again, the tiles will just peel off with the wallpaper with no damage to the sheetrock below when I'm ready for my next "look". I did this for about $500.

• Shannon Olden
    8 years ago

recently had beadboard put directly on top of a pinky taupe tile as well. painted white and it looks a thousand times better. no mess and easily done.

• katinparadise
    8 years ago

Add me to the group who suggests going right over it with beadboard. You will need to find a bit heavier molding to make the transition but it can be done. Ply cap molding works for this purpose.

• suzyq53
    8 years ago

I think the part of the problem is how high the tile goes in that tiny bath and up around the mirror like that. If you want a clean bead board look like H2H, you should remove everything and get new drywall and lower bead board. Unless you want beautiful tile for the look, you really don't need it in a powder room. I'd do just like H2H. It'll look brand new.

• suzyq53
    8 years ago

Oh - forgot to say that you normally do not have a medicine cabinet in a powder either.

• PRO
    Ashdan
    8 years ago
    This is a powder room I've just finished. There is no window in the room so we kept it atmospheric with the dark wallpaper and added a bit of glam with the light fixture and panelling. We also used panelling to include a mirror that reaches the ceiling. We did remove wall tiles that were originally were the panelling is now. It is a small area but we are very happy the way it turned out.
  • nearlycluleless
    8 years ago
    Crown molding and paneling worked well for our windowless bathroom.
  • Christine Hilton
    8 years ago

Why not board and batten or beadboard floor to ceiling? Avoid all ripping and tearing.Paint white with a pale blue ceiling?

• deborahberkey
    8 years ago

We didn't like the tile in our bathroom and we googled if it was possible to glue and grout tile over existing tile. We did, and it looks great. It saved us such a mess of ripping old tile and Sheetrock out.

• Sally Unger
    8 years ago

Here's a picture of my powder room with a shelf I picked up at a vintage shop at the beach and painted white. It's simply fence pickets and 5 narrow shelves. I've put some shells and other beachy things on it. We used pink as an accent since the floor is red travertine tiles we got for a bargain at Home Depot (our red travertine is actually pink.) Think they were $2 each. Good luck with your project.

Home and Garden from Virginia Garden Week Tour 2013 · More Info

• wiss
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

We had a bath in a old house that we put bead board 3/4 of the way up and put chair rail at the top. I painted the remaining wall and the ceiling the same color.

• PRO
    Blu Bathworks
    8 years ago

Hi Zyas,

Congrats on redoing your bathroom! It can be a daunting task but it will most definitely be worth it. Powder rooms can be tricky due to the lack of space. We have a collection for small/condo sized bathrooms that might work for you. See more here: http://blubathworks.com/products/categories/collection/condo/

• PRO
    Villeroy & Boch
    8 years ago

We agree with many of these comments; beadboard looks great, especially with a beachy theme. Best of luck with the renovation!

• ALH
    8 years ago
    I can't see the pic for some reason, but I saw something on tv you might consider. If you can't afford to have the pros come in and remove the tiles...since you don't know if they are lead or not. I wouldn't be able too. Just go over the top of the tiles with bead board or whatever you like. I'd use construction adhesive to attach to the tiles and put trim on top. They did this on the show. It looked great!
  • PRO
    Dura Supreme Cabinetry
    8 years ago

Here are a few style ideas you may like... I think beadboard or paneling would look fantastic!
    Mandi @ Dura

Luxurious Lakeshore Cottage Powder Room · More Info

Lakeshore Cottage Bath · More Info

Master Bath Retreat · More Info

Stumpy Bay · More Info

• designideabook
    8 years ago

Tiles made in America DO NOT contain asbestos. The thin set or mastik may but in very , very small amounts. Those tile are not hand made or clay so you are probably safe.

• tedenehigdon
    8 years ago
    not fond of cabinet doors or color. too stark and too traditional.would paint a deeper shade of slate to minimize. makes countertop look dinghy.
  • tedenehigdon
    8 years ago
    also, board and batten looks fresh
  • nlsf
    8 years ago
    Omg. Why is everyone focused on the tiles. They are the best part of this room - the only aspect worth keeping. Add a lovely stand alone tub (claw foot if you have the room) and a cool vanity (pottery barn Parisian style is nice) and you will have transformed this room into a wonderful bathroom. Get ride of the horrible medicine cabinet, vanity and mediocre toilet and upgrade these items. Then add beautiful items. Then you have a nice powder room. The tile is fine.
  • brothers wood craft
    8 years ago
    nice work. .. everything is good and fresh
  • Hope Anderson
    8 years ago

I agree that beadboard would be the easiest replacement for the tiles. That's what I have in my guestroom bath, as you can see in the photo. What jumps out at me from your picture is not the tiles but the vanity, which is cheap-looking and can easily be replaced. I recommend Restoration Hardware or Ikea. A good toilet (I just re-did this bathroom and added the Toto) is well worth the money.

• zyas
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks everyone. Yes the vanity is going, we already have a new one to replace him.

What I'm concerned with it covering the tile around the medicine cabinet. Should we just do floor to ceiling paneling?
  • Julee Davids Dunagan
    8 years ago

Ashdan,

I love the horse picture in your bathroom. Can you tell me where you found it?

Thank you.

• Lawson Lott
    8 years ago

If the tile was installed in the 60's it may have been done in the old and best way using metal lath and grout. You can usually tell if this is the case because the tile will stick out from the face of the wall about 3/4" to 1". Removing tile installed using this method can be a back-breaker. If the lath is attached to the studs there is no way to remove the tile without a chisel and pry bar. Wear safety googles and gloves and good luck!

• katinparadise
    8 years ago

Nlsf-everyone was focusing on the tile because the OP said she hates it. It was pink and her husband spray painted it white and it now has a weird texture. Everyone was trying to give suggestions for an easy way to cover it without ripping it down to studs. There's no sense putting money into fixtures, etc. if the tile doesn't suit the homeowner's needs or taste.

zyas thanked katinparadise
  • katinparadise
    8 years ago

Zyas-It looks to me as though there were just a few tiles put around the built in medicine cabinet. Those shouldn't be too hard to remove and replace. It's hard to tell from the picture, but if that's the case, just some joint compound sanded down should cover any imperfections caused by removing the tiles. If that's not the case, let us know and I'm sure we can come up with something!

zyas thanked katinparadise
  • shannajensen
    8 years ago

I'm a big fan of shiplap walls for a clean coastal look. You don't have to go all the way to the ceiling if you don't want. Just top it off with a chair rail.

zyas thanked shannajensen
  • PRO
    Brooks Carpet Clinic Ltd.
    8 years ago
    Dan's Home Improvement has the best way to handle it, provided there is no asbestos concern manipulating the drywall. A likely scenario if lead is the worry.
    wainscotting and panel overlay is a great idea. leave the hazard intact and veneer the veneer.
    zyas thanked Brooks Carpet Clinic Ltd.
  • suzyq53
    8 years ago

When you veneer the veneer is there a problem with the toilet hookups? and the clearance for the sinks? Seems like you would need extra extensions to clear it.

• PRO
    Brooks Carpet Clinic Ltd.
    8 years ago
    Renovation is all about change. Challenges are part of the deal no matter the path chosen. As result, there are solutions to everything. To arrive at solutions that work best for any budget, one has to do the research along with truly qualified trades, who must also be researched before using or following any of their advice. Be certain costs will always become what they have to become, be it a project done right being more than our original idea, or one that goes wrong and needs to be readdressed. The later is more costly in the end.
    Shop well. Make your remodel a good one.
  • Joanie Coleman
    8 years ago
    When I remodeled my master bath, the handy man carefully cut out the drywall, tiles and all. So the tiles and the drywall came off in one, neat tidy sheet. Then it was really easy to put up a new piece of drywall, tape/mud, and retile. SO much better than trying to chip off the old tiles without damaging the drywall underneath. It Also gives you a chance to put up one of the modern, water resistant drywall products. Do what the pros do!
  • dorriepace
    8 years ago

I know that's an antique med cabinet and you may not want to remove it. However it looks too high, small, almost awkward. Perhaps if you can sell it if it comes our in one piece.