Software
Houzz Logo Print
laticauda

Monstera identification

11 years ago

Okay, we will call them A B and C.

A-first plant I bought, has been pruned back and kept in low light for a long time, not ideal but the plant needed some saving.

B-flat that was stuck under a dripping a/c unit that had developed mealies. I know ye gonna be mad but what could I do? I treated it at night several times and left it outside, it seems fine now

C-recently obtained vines, not really rooted, but potted up and praying for this miracle to take place.

Pictures of A

Large/long immature leaf

A little but smaller but very holey. (Notice how one side of the leaf is shorter than the other? I believe this is the difference between obliqua and adansonii if you don't have inflorescence or berries to base your hypothesis on.

That weird curling could be from the old mealie infestation, right?


Comments (12)

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Also plant A

    Bollox...I posted the wrong pictures.

    See, this is why I don't make my own questions.

    This is the same plant as above, but the description is actually B!

    Tropic, yours is amazing! You can eat these fruit too, right? Aren't they also called Mexican breadfruit?

    So what is in that picture is not an adansonii? I thought adansonii are also called Mexican breadfruit. I don't think it is only the deliciosa species that makes edible fruit.

  • 11 years ago

    I've seen that name on the internet but don't know any name for it here. It was on this place when I bought it and I've since put lots of cuttings around the garden. But I did buy a Monstera siltepecana which after a few years has now flowered. But Monstera deliciosa (4 of them) I've had for over 15 years and still no sign of flowering.

    laticauda thanked tropicbreezent
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I edited my comment above instead of replying. Oops.

    I think I just got a variegated vine cutting of siltepecana.

    I doubt any of mine will flower, unless I set up my front room to be an indoor uh.....botanical garden year round lol.

    Don't put it past me though....I built a garden on my slanted roof because I can't grow in my front yard (city blah) and my chickens own the backyard so I did what NYC did and just built up.

    Didn't do anything to stop the tomato hornworms though.

  • 11 years ago

    The smaller one is sunburnt like crazy, it'll get over it. Can you tell I'm a little grumpy?

    the big one is making leaves 9" long now though. So that's exciting, I wonder how far it can get before I have to bring it inside.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Okay, here we are after coming inside. Sorry for the giant grainy picture. There's no flash on this thing and it's pretty dark in here when the sun goes to warm the other side of this planet.

  • 11 years ago

    Such beautiful plants!!! Now I really really want one!!! Grrrrrr

  • 11 years ago

    Oh em gee don't buy one!

  • 11 years ago

    I've never seen one where I live so I can't!!!

    laticauda thanked jamilalshaw26
  • 11 years ago

    The little one is looking rough. I didn't acclimate it to the sun properly. It's still growing and it's not dead, so I think it'll be fine.

  • 11 years ago

    Yea. Growing is a good sign!!!

    laticauda thanked jamilalshaw26
  • 10 years ago

    here you have pics of 3 diff monsteras with perforated leaves. the only juvie leaves without holes are on M. acuminata. and the one with very large holes seems to look like M. adansonii.

    monsteras

0
Sponsored