Software
Houzz Logo Print
palmerem

Bedroom

11 years ago
What do I do to make peaceful

Comments (44)

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Draperies to soften the windows, a fluffy duvet, a less active rug and, guessing from the bits in the photo, more storage. Your swan print looks lovely against the dark walls - nice choice.

  • 11 years ago
    Any suggestions on kind or color fir drapery and duvet
  • 11 years ago

    Yes the swan picture is really beautiful ,it brings a sense of tranquility to any room , try to move the bed under it if possible ,get new bedding and light grey curtains ,silk possibly . Removing the baskets will also bring you tranquility

    Vermont Gray Queen 8-Piece Comforter Bed In A Bag Set · More Info

  • 11 years ago


    Textured Vintage Faux Dupioni Silk Single Panel Curtain, Storm Gray, 50"x96" · More Info

  • 11 years ago

    New lamps perhaps :)


    Mercury Glass Urn Table Lamp With Grey Tapered Drum Shade, 2285 · More Info

  • 11 years ago

    You are pulling our chain missy! Laundry baskets, toiletries and an unkempt bed is not the way people show photos for design advice. Put your stuff away and you'll like your peaceful room a lot better. :)

  • 11 years ago

    I would add light blue floor to ceiling curtains. Try removing the picture on the wall too. I think it might be too dark. The dark walls are ok as long as everything else is light and bright.

  • 11 years ago

    You could also paint the frame silver (white might be too stark)...

  • 11 years ago
    Actually Darcy I am not yanking ur chain I am in the process of tying to put stuff away. Sorry but the room always seems to look messy as I have a very busy family two labs and work as a nurse in s near by hospital
    The room bones make it difficult to arrange the furniture that it doesn't look cluttered.
  • 11 years ago

    Or if you like this look


    Family Home Renovation with modern twist · More Info

  • 11 years ago
    These are better picks of my dark room
  • 11 years ago
    Oh I love that genieve
  • 11 years ago
    Sorry I massacred the spelling of your name Genevieve
  • 11 years ago

    Picking up and putting away things helped bring a calmness into the room.

    I like dark walls in a bedroom, it helps me sleep. But you need to use lighter bedding and art when you have dark walls. The swan piece does well, but the grouping of mirrors reflects the dark walls. Find another piece of art that is big and light to hang on the mirrors wall. You need to move one piece of furniture out of the room. If your room is wide enough try putting your bed on the mirror wall, I don't thing your bed and bedside tables will fit on the swan wall.

  • 11 years ago

    Those are much better photos :) I love the grey and your swan picture :) browns Grey and blues work well together , Don't worry about the spelling !

  • 11 years ago

    I just noticed you Lab :) we had one just like it and I still miss him Our " Mac " :(

  • 11 years ago


    Birds, Hyde Park, 16x20" fine art color photograph · More Info

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks for the additional pics. Have you tried switching the brown blanket and the light patterned one - ex:

    Mediterranean · More Info

  • 11 years ago
    Do u know what the paint color is and the drapery and cover
    Genevieve I have two labs. The kitchen and living room are mine as well. Haven't updated anything in a long time
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    if laundry is a frequent feature of your landscape, find some nice baskets or totes instead of plastic ones. we have no other place for our hampers but in the master bedroom, so i got the canvas ones with rope handles in 2 color geometric prints at homegoods, i know they come in grey (we went with navy and ivory) they are nicer to carry up and down stairs as well cuz i dont bunk my knuckles on the door casings any more.

  • 11 years ago
    Reversed the soft bedding
  • 11 years ago
    What is the name of this print fabric
  • 11 years ago

    Re. your drapery/rug question - a simple white linen at the windows would be lovely, and would reinforce the soft statement made by your swan. You need just one pair, used on the outer edges only.

    Your area rug will need to hide doggy hair, etc, and you can do that better by using a pattern with more mid tone colours, to hide dirt and hair. The looser the pattern, the more romantic the feel. For instance, an oriental would be in keeping with the room's style,

    Oriental Weavers Chloe Distressed Traditional Beige/Blue Rug · More Info
    But you might also go with a less structured pattern, and/ or inject an accent colour to take the room in a different direction.
    Feizy Bleecker Rug, Asphalt, 8'x11' · More Info

  • 11 years ago
    Beautiful ideas I live in a rural area. Where is a great place to purchase these rugs. My living and kitchen area sort of all flow from the bedroom area suggestions?
    I've just walked out of the bedroom into living room
    Interested in taking down the TV cabinetry and updating the mantel
    I'm getting two grey sofa loveseat
    I'm interested in changing backsplash and counter on either sides of stove
  • 11 years ago

    And if you really wanted to kick it up a notch, look at incorporating cranberry and berry shades i the pattern.

    A new carpet will entice you to get new pillows for the bed. There are lots to choose from, and they are a good way to reinforce your accent colours. The aim is to make the bed inviting, so plump and tactiley soft choices are best.

    I would keep pattern to a minimum on the bedding. Your dark spread was perfectly fine - the addition of a soft blanket or throw across the end is enough of a statement - and your paisley looks better as an accent, like you had it.

  • 11 years ago

    I saw parts of the other rooms on your other threads. If you can, or have added photos of all walls to those posts, I will take a look for you over there.

    You can purchase these rugs from HOUZZ. Click under the photos for the link.

  • 11 years ago

    Editing paisley comment - it looks fine with either spread, just not half and half. Allow one to act as a border, and you have the makings of a summer ( solid as border, only) vs. winter ( paisley as border) treatment.

  • 11 years ago
    Ok here's the walls
    Living kitchen area
  • 11 years ago
    And the last few rooms
  • 11 years ago

    You have a beautiful home!! Would you consider repainting? Those dark colors would make me crazy.

  • 11 years ago
    Definitely would consider painting. The other things I'm considering is a new dining room table and chairs, countertop by kitchen stove, new backsplash and taking down thd huge TV cabinet and putting a smiler table or cabinet to hold the TV "things"
    I really like this mantel
  • 11 years ago

    Great shots - would you mind transferring them to your living room thread, to keep all your ideas together? We can post a link to refer readers over.

  • 11 years ago

    Much better bedroom photos! It feels calmer already. :) I agree that fresh paint will make a huge difference. I too had dark colors for years and recently repainted my bedroom SW Loggia and the bathroom SW Alabaster. (50% Loggia on the ceiling). It feels sooo much more restful and soothing than the dark walls. You'll feel light a weight has been lifted of your shoulders. I like Susan and Genevieve's suggested of a light blue/aqua on the walls and mercury lamps.

    Your home is lovely and feels homey. I agree with you wholeheartedly to replace the big entertainment center with a less bulky piece. Painting the burgundy walls a soft creamy white will look pretty with your wood tones and furnishings. Your dining table and chairs look great to me.

  • 11 years ago

    Awww. Darzy and I usually agree, but I guess not this time. I think palmeron has made the right choice on her bedroom paint selection. In a room with this much furniture, dark walls come in very handy. Right now, the bed and swan are in relief but, with pale walls, everything in here will be in relief, and the room will look swamped by dark wood. With a mommy- nurse schedule, I know that precious few waking moments are spent here, and think the Swan- in -Moonlight concept is a lovely one to drift off to.

    The dining room Wolf- in- Roses, however, has an entirely different undertone.... :))

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    @studio...we do agree a lot! I don't mind the dark chocolate walls and I've probably let my recent personal switch to lighter wall colors in my own home influence my posts. :) If the dark walls is loved...this is one of my favorite bedrooms. White bedding, side tables and sparkle makes the room calming and beautiful.

    Lakeview Residence Bedroom · More Info

  • 11 years ago
    Omg Darzy I love the room
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    palmerem...you could do this look easily! I'd do the wall sconce lamps since the tables are small like the inspiration photo. If the framed mirrors and bedside tables aren't too valuable, how about painting them white too? To balance the white, pretty white accessories/vases on the dresser opposite the bed would look beautiful.

    Amy Embroidered 10PC Egyptian Cotton Bed in A Bag, Embroidered Red, Twin · More Info

    Wrinkle Free Egyptian cotton Hotel Duvet cover set, Full-Queen-3-pc-Set, White/C · More Info

  • 11 years ago

    Are there any other doors in your bedroom besides the one pictured (ex. bath, closet)?

  • 11 years ago
    Yes er one to bathroom and one to enter bathroom
  • 11 years ago
    I mean bedroom
  • 11 years ago

    Are the doors on opposite walls or is the second doorway opposite the window? Just wondering if there's a better layout for storage.

  • 10 years ago

    I haven't been acquainted with your discussion, but wondering how it's going...

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County