Software
Houzz Logo Print
lvlaplata

Need help with kitchen remodel

13 years ago
I want to remodel my kitchen. I have alot of cabinets and they are dark walnut. They are in great shape. I do not want to discard them or paint them but I feel that they need something to update them. I changed the hardware on them last year. Any suggestions?

Comments (9)

  • 13 years ago
    nope, you have limits on paint, and hardware. what would you want from houzzers?
  • 13 years ago
    I think that your cabinets look dated because they have a glossy finish and the hardware, though new, isn't flattering. Try sanding and applying a coat of clear finish which is not high gloss, giving them a hand rubbed look. Even if you don't want to paint them, painted cabinets always look fresh, and a light color accentuated with a glaze of a slightly darker color in the same color family looks great. Pale green or blue, glazed with light grey is beautiful. Pewter hardware goes well with both finishes, and looks custom. You could remove two connecting upper doors completely, paint the interior a complimentary color and show off pretty glassware, etc. to break up the monotony of a bank of cabinets and create a focal point.
  • 13 years ago
    You should change out the hardware to silver tone, change the appliances along with the exhaust fan to stainless. And lastly install new counter top.
  • 13 years ago
    I like both suggestions above. phill001's is probably what I would do. Also the border under the ceiling looks dated to me, so I'd remove it, and just apply paint there.
  • 13 years ago
    Updated backsplash tile + new, slimmer hardware?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    We work with many kitchens like yours. We don't always want to get rid of the cabinets or paint them. The cabinets show up differently in the photos. Which photo more closely resembles the true color?

    I would go with an oil rubbed bronze hardware. I don't think brushed nickel would look good here. I also recommend replacing the tile counter, back splash, wall paper boarder, and shutters. The cabinets themselves are beautiful. It's the other things that make them look dated.

    Good luck!
  • 13 years ago
    I think the range hood, backsplash and border are somewhat dated...
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks so much for all of your replies. My plan is for new countertops (yet to be determined), backsplash, new paint, SS appliances, new tile floor, under cabinet lighting, new pantry door, remove wallpaper border, remove shutters, new pendant lights over the island. The problem was what to do with the cabinets. They are 29 years old but are still in great shape. Morticia9 I agree with you. I am going to take off the high gloss finish on the cabinets and paint on a satin or more natural looking finish. Phil you said to change out the hardware with silver tone. That's what I have up there now so I guess I'll have to rethink what kind of hardware I should use. Home Preppers, the cabinets that look the darkest in the pictures is the true color. Thay are walnut. Oklay so now I guess my biggest problem will be deciding on which kind and color tile to put on the floor. Thanks again for all of your replies.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I don't blame you for not changing out the cabinets. They look well made and still look in great shape. I do agree that decreasing the gloss will be a good change.

    For the hardware, I'm wondering if what you need is maybe something a bit 'sturdier'. The new ones you've put on seem to look a bit small in relation to the cabinet. If you could find something in the same tone as the hinges I think that might work a bit better. I was thinking of birdcage pulls.
    Traditional Raised-Panel Maple Kitchen · More Info

    Traditional Raised-Panel Maple Kitchen · More Info