Software
Houzz Logo Print
amy_bradshaw

Design help needed

11 years ago
Have a very narrow but tall foyer...just bought lamp and 2 pictures, what is the best arrangement? Suggestions for other items to add to table? Thanks in advance! Amy

Comments (45)

  • 11 years ago

    You will have to play around with this a bit. Have you tried stacking them to the left and then moving the lamp in a bit with a shorter object with it?

  • 11 years ago

    Are you commit ed to that lamp? For some reason, maybe it is the color, or the shade, or the bird repetition that has me not liking it there?

  • 11 years ago
    Not 100%, but I do like the color of it. I thought I needed a tall lamp, but am open to any suggestions.
  • 11 years ago
    Margo, do you mean center the lamp on the right side and the stacked pictures on the left, or should they not be symmetrical? And what type of object...something very short or taller like a vase? I will have to shop for some accessories, I have a pretty minimal decor so don't really have good stuff to "borrow" from other rooms.
  • 11 years ago

    I was thinking trying the pictures one on top the other on the left side centered with half the table. On the other half (right side) bring the lamp inward but not quite centered to that side and add something with it. I hope I am making sense? If you could try it and take a pic we could see if this works;)

  • 11 years ago

    Yes, go look around and see what you can find, even if you are not sure, sometimes odd items make for the most interesting! Show us what you got;)

  • 11 years ago

    I like the pictures and I like the lamp...not so sure about the lamp shade. And I agree with Margo on the placements of them.

  • 11 years ago

    Get some butcher or wrapping paper and cut out the shape of the two pictures. Use painter's tape to put them up in different configurations until you love one.

  • 11 years ago
    What kind of shade would be better? The table is only about 12" wide, so it has to be pretty narrow. I was thinking to add maybe some candlesticks in different heights and/or some type of plant, but I don't have any of that now. All my vases are clear and all my pictures are in shiny silver frames, so they won't work for the space.
  • 11 years ago

    I was trying to find a picture of one. I have something in mind, I just haven't found it yet. : (

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Love the lamp but the art needs some color and it's a little too much to go with more birds.

  • 11 years ago
    Have a horse...could put tall things on either end and pics side by side in center? Would that be better? I thought maybe the horse was a little too tall to look right, I thought maybe something about 8" shorter might be better.
  • 11 years ago
    Lee lee thanks for the art, but the rest of my house is pretty traditional in style/color...these examples are too modern for me. But I would like some color, that is why I liked the bird pics...they are mixed media for interest and at least have colored backgrounds. Stuff like this is always hard for me!
  • 11 years ago

    I like the horse!

  • 11 years ago

    Ok..here are a couple ideas. It's just my opinion...but I think the shade needs a little different shape to it. The one on the candlestick lamp is spray painted. I don't know if you are craft-y or like either of these..just a thought.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Hang up the paintings and put a picture light up!

  • 11 years ago
    Also, resist the temptation to put decorative items all over the furniture piece. In an entry way, you want room for keys, etc. A low bowl or basket could hold such things to keep clutter under control
  • 11 years ago

    Are you committed to leaning pictures on table instead of hanging? Seems to me that a narrow table in a traffic way not best place for that. If you hung pictures, lamp more in scale and would leave room on table for empty bowl for keys, etc as suggested above. Think part of the problem with lamp is the colour, it doesn't pick up anything from pictures. So maybe a shade that is more tan/beige or a texture like the mats would work better. Then a bowl with some of the lamp's turqoise would fit in colour scheme.

  • 11 years ago

    Amy *waving* I am laying in wait to see those pics stacked and hung??? Well, at least a mock up;)

  • 11 years ago
    I am definitely going to hang the pics, just trying to figure out the best arrangement. Probably going to lose the horse and put it back in the other room. Bought a couple of candlesticks today and will try those. Sorry so slow to do the project, have company!

    The pictures do have some blue in the background, it doesn't show up too good in my photos but they actually go with the blue shade in the lamp pretty well.
  • 11 years ago

    get a big hanging entry-way light and get rid of the lamp. bookcase and art are unremarkable. a longer bookcase, or a cushioned bench and big framed mirror would suit the space. People like to check out how they look when they're coming and going!

    I'd also paint it white or a color. That pale grey is a bit dull. Wallpaper would really wake up the space!

  • 11 years ago
    The bookcase is 12" wide and 60" long, have looked a long time for something to fit the narrow hallway. Can't have a longer piece due to exterior door swing. Two story foyer so wallpaper is really not suitable. I looked for a mirror, just haven't found one I particularly liked. I know the color choice isn't the most flashy, but neither is our house! We live in a little Cape Cod style house in the country, I like keeping things pretty low key.
  • 11 years ago

    You can have modern art with traditional furnishings--you may not want that but you do need some color. Too much with the birds.

    You can have very traditional pictures with some color


  • 11 years ago

    Amy Bradshaw loved the new arrangements I think it looks so much better to have these frames on the wall :)


  • 11 years ago

    I like how it turned out. The addition of the bowl/tray will add to it!

  • 11 years ago

    It looks nice Amy;)

  • 11 years ago

    Exactly what I had in mind, but thought you'd come to it on your own.

  • 11 years ago
    I actually pulled the table a bit to the right to put the pics more off center and I like that even better. Have spent my budget for now, hopefully I will eventually find some better art but the birds are cute for the time being. Thanks all for your help!
  • 11 years ago

    Was going to suggest painting the wall with 18" horizontal stripes in a light gray to go with the bookcase, IF there is a logical stopping point. I am having the same problem, can't find a narrow enough table for my entry. Add interest with paint. I dunno.

  • 11 years ago

    I definitely like the stacked pics off center on the table. You have the same problem I have which is having to decorate with what you have and sometimes the items just don't quite look right. I know you like the lamp, but I'm thinking one some horizontal movement rather than just straight column or cylinder would add interest to the composition. I usually arrange something and live with it while and eventually it comes to me waht it needs and I look and look until I find it. Might be a sale in a shop like Tuesday morning or in a thrift store. But it looks fine until you tweak it after living with it.

  • 11 years ago
    King3253......in a small hall I purchased a Demi-lune table which is narrow on both ends and round in the center. Actually got it at an auction but it was new. Now it is one of the things I plan to keep when I minimalize! The shape prevents bruised hips.

    My question to the OP is if there is an outlet there for the lamp.
    Plus....drum roll......one of my personal no nos is candles next to a lamp.....just my thing.
  • 11 years ago

    I like the design you settled on, you needed to hang the pictures because the tall walls dwarfed the table. Love the candles too. Now look for a few baskets that would fit on the two bottom shelves to hold crafts, shoes, umbrellas, it just look great. You could also add a wreath in the hallway in place of pictures for holidays.

  • 11 years ago
    Go with wall mounted pictures and frames the blend into wall color not to sharp of contrast. consider relocating bookshelf to another room. purchase a very small light stand and add a floor plant (with not a very wide base but with some height ). classy. have fun!
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    It looks fine but down the road I would add size and color for the art piece there, like this one:

    landscape paintings · More Info

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    first you must create illusion, that this are is bigger by hanging big mirror. secondly, a faux finish with a luster implication will give you grater look of nicer and bigger out coming in your foyer. thirdly, instead your lam you can have wall sconces. finally, can you install a long shelf instead this table which is to big.

  • 11 years ago

    Get rid of the table - get a wide cream chest with drawers. Space out the pictures and hang, then add cream and tan accessories on table with only one accent color.

  • 11 years ago

    Try placing a tall mirror the width being a little less than the table. Now look for some long artifical plants like forcithia or possibly just small tree branches or a tall orchid. Put those in a vase to one side of the table. See what height you have created. Now find two other items that are shorter and fill in the other side. Think you will be pleased. If you need light let one item be a shorter lamp.

  • 11 years ago

    If you tire of the pictures and your budget allows, a fairly large tapestry, nearly the same width of the table and slightly higher than the lamp would add color& texture. Still, as is, it looks very welcoming.

  • 11 years ago

    To give the feel of more space, think about using a table of a lighter colour or refinishing the existing one. By reducing the colour contrast between the wall and table you'll create the illusion of a wider hallway. Contrast is always interesting but it's taking away from what little space you have.

    You also might want to consider a single piece of art - almost as wide as the table but in lighter shades....perhaps a scene that will draw the eye into the art (or a framed mirror as previously suggested but be aware of angles and what will be reflected. Is the reflection too busy?).

    On the table surface I'd opt for a single piece, perhaps a bowl for keys (also suggested in a previous comment).......keep it simple in your small space and you'll be surprised by the feeling you'll create.

  • 11 years ago
    I think what's missing is a natural element. How about a vase with some branches in it, mixed with a couple stem flowers.
  • 11 years ago
    You could change the stem flowers out seasonally.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    It's probably too late now but I would move the higher photo up and to the right and the lower photo up and to the left so they are not in a straight line. That way they would mirror the relative geometry of the candles. Just an idea.
  • 11 years ago

    i would not have any furniture in the hallway at all - it seems to block the flow a lot - just pictures on the wall would do it justice

  • 11 years ago

    She finished her project, and it is lovely!!

Sponsored
Daniel Home
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin Co, Ohio