Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kooch

Exterior color help please

kooch
8 years ago

Inside is pretty much renovated now, but can't decide what colour for the outside! I was thinking maybe a classic cream and white (new shingles are light gray), my one daughter thinks a dark charcoal, the other likes a more taupe or tan colour. I was thinking shutters in something bright to widen the little window for balance...ideas and suggestions welcome!!!

Comments (38)

• kooch
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I know, that bush has to go! I wish I had gotten the sidewalk extended around to little deck entry

• neets9845
    8 years ago
    Hi, would you consider a grey - green stucco? It would look nice against the natural wood (if you're keeping it) and go nicely with the roof.
    kooch thanked neets9845
  • kooch
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here are some thoughts...

• kooch
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm afraid a dark colour will look too "dead" with the stucco texture

• kooch
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I hate the green on there now so much I haven't even considered anything in the green range yet. :)

• kooch
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We will keep the natural wood on new deck, not sure about the front though.

• kooch
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I have seen some grays on stucco that come off looking like cement, so am hesitant to go that direction as well. I guess it depends on the shade.

• PRO
    Inner City Skyline
    8 years ago

Colors, hmm... It depends on where your home is. If its a suburb home, and you want it to blend in, i recommend desert orange/yellow look with a solid gray for the trims. If you are looking for home that does not want to stand out, we recommend just the orange/yellow look with a minimistic look.

For homes in a more modern community, we recommend darker gray with a pop of orange, lime green, or lighter blue. I can imagine it already, coolest house on the block.

For a more traditional look, you can have a really light shade of gray (almost white) and with a darker navy blue.

Just a few suggestions from Inner City Skyline inc.

kooch thanked Inner City Skyline
  • kooch
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We are in British Columbia Canada, not too many orange/yellow houses here, but I have seen a few modern homes with pops of colour, wonder if we could pull that off with such a little cottage?

• kooch
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Pictures of your ideas would be great!

• Kbtb
    8 years ago

With a home that is smaller, i think i would go w/ a soft or lighter grey colour. Blends in well with everything, and still looks up-to-date and cute :)

• PRO
    Kurmak Builders
    8 years ago

I think a dark grey or brown stucco with white trim would look great. No light grey - makes it look like cement, as someone else pointed out above.

kooch thanked Kurmak Builders
  • PRO
    Inner City Skyline
    8 years ago

It matters if you looking for a pop i would choose the darker gray, and stripes of pop color (lime green, bright orange, baby blue, red would be too much i think. )

• PRO
    America's Color Consultants - DC Metro
    8 years ago

Color is a personal choice. Everyone sees color differently. First you have to decide as a home owner if you want to love the color of your house or if it is more important for your neighbors, friends and family to love the color.

kooch thanked America's Color Consultants - DC Metro
  • kooch thanked Eliete Teixeira
  • Jean Benelli
    8 years ago

ohpokey that is beautiful. How about a very soft mauve. A very light hue with a dark green door. The orange yellow color is called yellow ocher. And I think it would look wonderful. A sage green door would look perfect against yellow ocher or a colbalt blue on the door. But I would paint it light pink with white trim. Very cute. But that is just me. I don't expect you to choose pink.

• Taxi Cabaret
    8 years ago
    The stucco color on my pic is Benjamin Moore canvas 267.
    kooch thanked Taxi Cabaret
  • auntqueenie
    8 years ago

Quiver Tan by Sherwin Williams. I would do black for all trim. On your house I would also do black trim, including the trim arnd doors. I would invest in a black, or buffed silver, Porch light fixture and hang to the right side of front door. Also get large black (or buffed silver ) house numbers. The back of the house needs outdoor light fixtures, one porch light by sliding door, the other a motion light that comes on when there is movement at the far left side corner of house. Place 2-3 large/tall pots along the back wall, where that bush is. Of course you'll remove that bush first. You won't be able to balance the two front windows by adding shutters. You can however place a tall planter with a nice leafy Palm tree right under the smallest/shortest window that is tall and full, and that will cancel the obvious difference. Place an ornate piece of iron work ( or similar) Between those windows and a chair next to the left side window, a table for drinks and another chair and pull it altogether for a fresh relaxed look.

kooch thanked auntqueenie
  • auntqueenie
    8 years ago

Oh and the table w chairs on the back deck needs a festive bistro size umbrella.

kooch thanked auntqueenie
  • kooch
    Original Author
    8 years ago

If only I could have a palm tree...I would be so happy!!! Unfortunately, I am pretty sure our winter would kill it. But I have always dreamed of a winter hardy Palm!

• kooch
    Original Author
    8 years ago

But I like the idea of taller potted type plants. I think you are right, the shutter look would be unbalanced, good point auntqueenie

• brickln
    8 years ago

Navy or oxblood would look great with the wood and some evergreen foundation plants.

• kooch
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone! Navy blue was mentioned a lot, and after trying it on one of those online paint programs, I think that it might be the one! (After saying I didn't think a dark colour would look good on stucco!) I love the pictures with the traditional tan/taupes or cream, but my house just doesn't have enough architectural detail to pull it off. Now I just need to pick a trim colour, white, cream or light grey?

• brickln
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Cream. Make it wider if you can.

kooch thanked brickln
  • Jean Benelli
    8 years ago

I second, cream and glad you are going navy blue. It will look fantastic against the snow.

kooch thanked Jean Benelli
  • kooch
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Anybody have a fave shade of cream for exterior? Trim is cream now, but might be too yellow

• kooch
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Do I go more of a cool cream?

• kooch
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My sliding doors and most windows are white vinyl, and gutters also white

• miacometlady
    8 years ago
    I'm wondering if you painted the wall inside the porch one color like the orange and the rest of the house an alternate color. I like the color combinations with the orange in each photo.
    kooch thanked miacometlady
  • Kbtb
    8 years ago

Check this out :) May be helpful to you! [Exterior Color of the Week: Go Navy![(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/exterior-color-of-the-week-go-navy-stsetivw-vs~51574608)

kooch thanked Kbtb
  • kooch
    Original Author
    8 years ago

That's awesome, funny, one of the colour said I have picked is Hale Navy (Benjamin moore), what's not so funny, and a bit of a dilemma, is that the house kitty corner to me started painting their house yesterday. A dark blue!! Now I'm. Not sure what to do. I had never met them before, they bought last fall and sporadically come and do some work there. It is a flip project I found out. I went over yesterday with my paint samples to show him so they wouldn't think I was copying them, and he seemed unconcerned either way, but now I don't know wether to stick with my so hard thought out colour scheme!!! You can't see much of his place from the road though...I will take a picture

• kooch
    Original Author
    8 years ago

What are the odds?!!!

• Kbtb
    8 years ago

Wow - one in a million :D... When you say flip project, you mean they're just doing it up then re-selling? If so then it shouldn't worry ! Especially if you have already approached them and they didn't seem bothered.As long as its not going to make it look like your house is just a 'sub section' of their house!!

Is the only section of their house you can see, the section showed in the picture?

• kooch
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes they are fixing it up in spare time and will re-sell. And unless they cut back all the trees on the left, that is all of the house you can see. I still can't believe it, I suppose the other neighboring houses will think I copied.

• Kbtb
    8 years ago

Oh so a very small section then... personally, i wouldn't view it as a
    big problem, but i do see what you are thinking. Is it exactly the same
    colour? or a different shade?

• kooch
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It has a lot of green in it in some lights. I will try and stick to a more true navy