Software
Houzz Logo Print
sheloveslayouts

Laminate or tile counters?

11 years ago

I've got to make a countertop decision. In my area it's taking about 2 weeks to get templated/measured for laminate and then 3 weeks more for install. I haven't had a real kitchen since February. I have a toddler birthday party in about 7 weeks. It's time.

I'm going to go look at laminates tomorrow. There's a big showroom that hopefully has a lot of samples. Laminate works for me. I've had laminate and quartz and granite counters in the past. I like laminate. I was settled on laminate!

But then... we rented a house on airbnb recently that had tile countertops. And I liked them. Yes, crumbs in the groutlines took a little more time to wipe down, but I kind of liked the charm of them. I forgot about tile until I saw this cute kitchen today:

I like the personality and texture the tile adds. Maybe it would be a nice nod to the home's 1940s beginnings (I have chrome schoolhouse light fixtures.) My brother in law used to be a tile setter and I might be able to rope him in to the project. The kitchen tile above was a DIY project by Mom and Her Drill.

I have only seen tile counters in before pictures here, so that may be a sign that they're a bad idea. I need durable, low maintenance and affordable countertops in white or black.

What say you? Have you lived with tile counters? Would you do laminate or tile? Help!


Comments (34)

  • 11 years ago

    I have very old laminate: would do it again when the whole project approaches its time. Edge options and newer designs and the warmer feel appeal to me. You'd Probably end up with a top mount sink with either tile or laminate so that's not a biggie. I think of tile as a southwest or vintage California/Florida thing. If the kitchen has a straightforward vibe and the tile just gives that bit of texture/interest,then good. If the kitchen has a lot of detail already,then tile might not juxtapose quite right. Describe your kitchen.

    sheloveslayouts thanked herbflavor
  • 11 years ago

    "I need durable, low maintenance and affordable countertops in white or black."

    that sounds like laminate to me. the white or black? both show the dirt and dust all the time. I have white (old) and it's always 'coated'. wipe it up and within 10 min with no food prep going on and it's still recoated... but I do live in the desert.

    sheloveslayouts thanked desertsteph
  • 11 years ago

    I have had both laminate and tile counters and I would choose laminate over tile every time. Trying to keep grout lines clean and not having a smooth work surface really annoyed me.

    sheloveslayouts thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • 11 years ago

    Kitchen description: I'm in Portland, OR. Kitchen has good southern exposure. Small galley. It's next to the front entry and visible from the living/dining, so I want neutral in the white category (want to check out formica neutral weft) or black/dark category (want to look at wilsonart oiled soapstone tomorrow.) No fun colors here. Cabinets are white slab (Ikea Sektion Veddinge). Appliances are white with very minimal, clean lines. Floors are medium tone wood. I want chrome pulls and knobs; I bought chrome schoolhouse lights on craigslist. Everything is very plain by design, but could tip too modern quite easily.

    I'd show a picture, but the only thing in place is the range and the fridge. Cabinets were just assembled and waiting in the living room :-)

  • 11 years ago

    oh, I would sample some formica.....it doesn't sound right for tile. Have you ruled out granite?

    sheloveslayouts thanked herbflavor
  • 11 years ago

    We'll see what I find in laminate tomorrow. im not interested in granite.

  • 11 years ago

    I'd go laminate in a heart beat. I had white tile and grout in one kitchen and that (oops a bad word just popped in my head) grout was my worst nightmare. It seriously turned me into a germaphobe OCD reck!

    sheloveslayouts thanked rebunky
  • 11 years ago

    Haha, rebunky.

    its good to read 1st hand experiences. I've never lived with it. Tile sure is cute, but I'm all about low maintenance.

  • 11 years ago

    If you decide on tile....what's your timeline? Can you get that installed and ready for the party?


    Also, if you're tipping towards modern, I'd stick with the laminate. If you were tipping towards vintage.... :)

    sheloveslayouts thanked Lavender Lass
  • 11 years ago

    Oh, LL. the tile is so vintage, right? Gah!

  • 11 years ago

    I'd personally prefer laminate just for the lack of grout lines, but practically, you might want to avoid tile simply because it's not done as a counter much any more. If I am remembering correctly, I have read that a tile counter has to be more level or more fitted or finished a certain way at the sink or in some way treated/installed differently from all the rest of the tiling that is common today in kitchens and bathrooms. And modern tile setters basically do not ever install tile counters and are therefore totally unfamiliar with or extremely out of practice with installing tile counters. Your kitchen would probably be someone's guinea pig, and that doesn't usually end well.

    sheloveslayouts thanked Jillius
  • 11 years ago

    Jillius good point. My personality couldn't handle a flawed install. My eyes are always naturally drawn to imperfections. Our professionally installed backsplash had some problems that bothered me for years until we sold.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I wouldn't totally discount porcelain tile. To minimize grout lines I would use extra large rectified tile such as in these pics, you essentially get the look of Neolith/Dekton with a few grout lines. The reason you want good quality rectified tile: these will be exactly square, and flat, allowing for very narrow grout lines. Also, by using Spectralok epoxy grout, you will eliminate all that scrubbing. No need, just wipe off.

    The last pic is from mom2cohen's thread of her porcelain counters:

    sheloveslayouts thanked User
  • 11 years ago

    In the SF Bay Area, there are lots of kitchen/bath stores selling Chinese quartz prefab counters about 9' by 26" in the $225-$300 range, with installation costing about $250/slab + cutouts for sink/stove etc. I don't know if there are such stores in the Portland area, but I'm guessing you could get white quartz counters installed for about the same price as laminate. On GW, there may be a preconceived idea that Chinese quartz is all "cheap and low quality", but if it was, none of these stores would be in business.

    sheloveslayouts thanked andyscott
  • 11 years ago

    For what it's worth, I regret going with laminate. It's a dark green/black mottled pattern by Wilson Art, and it has not held up as well as I had expected.

    My mom has tile countertops, and I like them.

    Given the choice between the two, I'd go with tile.

    sheloveslayouts thanked mrspete
  • 11 years ago

    you're killing me, mp.

    I've been looking at matte "oiled soapstone" by wilson art. Is yours glossy by any chance? I was hoping a matte finish would wear better.

    I grew up with a light beige and cream laminate. That stuff is 35 years old and looks very good for it's age. Maybe if one goes laminate, a light color is the safer bet.

    Is your mom's tile white with white grout by any chance?

  • 11 years ago

    Lived with both - laminate over tile any day. It drove me crazy chasing down the crumbs that fell b/w the tiles.

    I had the normal grout lines you think of when you think of tile.

    Tiny grout lines...I don't know. On the one hand, fewer crumbs would fall b/w the tiles. On the other hand, I think it would be harder to clean out the crumbs that do fall into the grout lines.

    sheloveslayouts thanked Buehl
  • 11 years ago

    To look at? Tile

    To use every day? Laminate

    We wanted soapstone, as it's the only stone I like. But the cost was a deal-breaker for us. We went with Formica Basalt Slate, and it looks approximately like soapstone, and we kept several thousand dollars in the bank. We've always had laminate, and never had any wear issues. I've heard that laminates today aren't as good as they used to be (what is?) so time will tell if they hold up.

    sheloveslayouts thanked mushcreek
  • 11 years ago

    I would go laminate... there are SO many options these days. This ain't yo mama's laminate anymore ;)


    If granite were not standard in our new home build I would be looking at laminate too, if the cost was too high.. heh

    Russ


    sheloveslayouts thanked Russ Barnard
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Whatever floats your boat, but please pay attention to the tile edge details. Under no circumstances should a tile "lip" protrude past the underlayment. This is why you see chips in tile edges all the time or missing tile. I would avoid a tile edge if possible; wood or solid surface work fine.

    sheloveslayouts thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • 11 years ago

    I've always had tile counters- growing up and in every house we lived in. When we moved into our current house 18 years ago, I couldn't wait to get rid of the white tile and grout! The upkeep was horrendous and I was tired of my obsessive cleaning. We put in laminate, and later changed to granite. I would never do tile again, and am planning on a slab backsplash to be rid of grout once and for all!


    sheloveslayouts thanked Melissa Kroger
  • 11 years ago

    I've had both and I prefer tile. I can take pans out of the oven & put them right on the tile. I'm in California so tile counters are common. Our kitchen is 30 + years old & they still look good.

    sheloveslayouts thanked Yvonne B
  • 11 years ago

    Go to wall to wall stone in Vancouver. They sell by the foot quartz. Really awesome pricing

    sheloveslayouts thanked Rachel (Zone 7A + wind)
  • 11 years ago

    My aunt had that "cute kitchen" and keeping the grout clean was a PITA!

    It's not the crumbs, it's the stains and grease and grime. Sealing is only partly effective.

    sheloveslayouts thanked User
  • 11 years ago

    lazy gardens - You're talking about old school grout. These days there is no reason to use cementitious grout any longer, especially for such small areas such as countertops. Epoxy grout is the way to go. Stays clean. Does not stain. No need to seal. Ever. Also, this grout can be applied flat and even to the surface of the tile, which eliminates grooves where crumbs collect.

    sheloveslayouts thanked User
  • 11 years ago

    I've had laminate for 30 years and it's held up well, but I've never worried about using it as a place to set a hot pan. I can see scratches in the right light if I bend down and put my head at a certain angle, so I don't do that! (Both were medium to light colors.)

    we do have epoxy grout in a bathroom and that stuff is bulletproof and cleans as easily as the tile itself, so if I were in love with tile counters, I would not worry about caveats based on the cementitious grout. But they are still little linear depressions...

    sheloveslayouts thanked LE
  • 11 years ago

    Personally, I would pick tile over laminate if, IF, I could find a good tile guy to do a large tile (12" to 18", not 24") countertop. There is so much more profit and it is so much easier to put in any other kind of countertop there are very few people who do kitchen countertops anymore. Is this a labor of love that you can do yourself?

    sheloveslayouts thanked practigal
  • 11 years ago

    I don't trust us to do a good-enough tile job. We've decided to proceed with laminate. I'm ordering tons of large samples; the small chips aren't enough and there were only two stone-look counters at the large showroom yesterday. I think it's going to be a chore to find kitchen displays with laminate. Especially since I'm mostly interested in textile type prints and not faux stone types. The search continues :-)

  • 11 years ago

    I love the textile looking laminates. I'd love to see what you choose.

    sheloveslayouts thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • 11 years ago

    I like laminate also When we did our remodel, we chose laminate which some people wonder why didn't we choose granite. I just liked the easy care of laminate and it comes in so many colors and finishes, I had no trouble finding one I liked. After I ordered a 12" sample, I tried scratching it with abrasives, knives, scouring pads, all kinds of rough treatment and it was tough as nails. I've never used epoxy grout so I cannot say how it performs, but I hate cleaning grout and a kitchen gets a good amount of spills and spatters.

    sheloveslayouts thanked lam702
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Yesterday, the sales woman at the countertop showroom was very nice, but you can tell that laminate is a very small fraction of their business. When I first arrived for my appointment, the receptionist didn't know for sure where the laminates were and I couldn't find them on my own. I had to wait for the salesperson to show me. The laminates were in the back, past the bathrooms in a little room where they keep the coffee pot.

    Laminate is "counter culture" har har.

  • 11 years ago

    I had laminate for 19 yrs & never had a problem with it. Ii was tan & light beige with a leaf like pattern. My sister had 4x4 tile & I hated it! It looked great but using a cutting board on it was horrible…uneven & slipped. Go with laminate. I am redoing my kitchen & am putting in corian so will see how i like it. Good luck!


    sheloveslayouts thanked fldirt
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Choosing a countertop? Here is a great guide: Comparing
    Countertops

    sheloveslayouts thanked Cabinets 4U, Inc.