Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bri_ohio

Need help deciding on new build layout

Bri
8 years ago

Alright houzzers—my husband and I thought we were done fiddling with the layout of our new build, but a new issue came to light yesterday after our lot walk. The way our house will sit, the side of our house is facing our pond, which we think will be a great view for outdoor living space. However, the way our plans are right now (it's actually going to be the reverse of the builders drawing, with the garage on the left and everything else flipped), the master suite is on the right side of the house, and there is no hallway for a door to the side deck to go. We don't want a hallway separating our master bedroom from our master bath and walk-in, so we need an alternative. Another limitation is the fact that our garage is side-loading, and that can't change or it would change the whole facade of the home (because the roof of the garage would be oriented the same as the house rather than the opposite as it's supposed to be). Here's the outside (the garage and breezeway are red):

Here is the plan as it stands now, only reversed with the garage on the left going into the mud/laundry breezeway, going into the kitchen/dining and so on. The side deck on the right would be off the master suite, so there's no way to get to it.

An alternative (not to scale) would be to have a hall behind the master suite out to the deck. We're expanding through the middle of the living room by about 8 feet (not incorporated in previous drawing), so there would be room to make the master bedroom wider and shorter.

Or, we could basically keep the original layout that's in the drawing with the garage on the right, double the length of the garage, keeping it side-loading but at an L with the house, and put a wall in the middle making the other half an indoor/outdoor porch that goes out to a patio. This solves most of our problems if we can stay in budget (we did cut some substantial things, so we have about $30,000 to play with) . My biggest concern is that this is almost the same size as our current living room, kitchen, dining and foyer space which is entirely too large. I don't want this to feel impersonal or overly large compared to the rest of the house. If we're going to have a porch, I'd like it to be cozy and conducive to conversation. We would like to have a wet bar, grill with a range and sink as well as a seating area.

My thought was, we could extend the garage part into as far as the entryway to the breezeway (mud hall), because a bigger garage with room for a workshop makes more sense to me than an oversized porch. Plus, I would like there to be a door from the garage straight into the mudroom. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Comments (8)

• Bri
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

We selected from the 40 or so models that this builder offers, then started talking about our needs/wants in modifying the layout. It's a bit different than a completely custom build from scratch, but we do basically have free-reign on the layout. Really, the way we have it would work on site with a back deck as we had originally planned, but with the pond at the side, we were thinking it might be prettier to have the outdoor entertainment space on the side instead. Our builder suggested tilting the house 45 degrees toward the pond, but my husband doesn't think the front porch would get as much use since it would be shallower/smaller than a side or back deck/patio. He also didn't like the idea of the house not being square to the woodline to the back and left side, but that's a personal preference.

• emilyam819
    8 years ago

Are any of the 40 floor plans oriented toward the pond like you want? I don't think any of your retrofits are ideal.

• M Rene Designs
    8 years ago

Hi Bri - OK, I think the first thing you and your family need to decide is what you would like more, a bigger garage or a bigger porch. After reading your post, it sounds like the bigger garage wins! If I am correct, then I would suggest going with the garage extension to the entryway & mud hall.

However, from the drawings, it looks like this plan would cover the 1/2 bath entry door from the porch. If I am correct, would there be another way to get from the porch to the bathroom other than by going thru the garage?

If not, you may need to plan on another 1/2 bath doorway somewhere in the porch area. I hope this helped!

• Bri
    Original Author
    8 years ago

M Rene Designs that's a great idea to have the option of putting the half bath in the porch area. Thank you!

• M Rene Designs
    8 years ago

You're welcome Bri ! If you feel I've helped, please consider leaving me a Houzz review. I would very much appreciate it. Thank you!!

• threers
    7 years ago

In the original plan (first one shown): build a deck off the family room using the two doors opening on either side of the fireplace to exit, then extend the deck around the corner so it runs along the wall where your bedroom is and where the pond is. Be sure you consider privacy for your bedroom if the deck is on the master bedroom side of the house.

• Nicole L
    7 years ago

Hi! Just came across your thread and my husband and I are wanting to build something almost identical- we would love to see pictures of the final product of you have any and are willing to share