Software
Houzz Logo Print
cathy_macc

Repotted Afra leaves wrinkly!

11 years ago

Hi there, I've recently purchased two adorable succulents, but when I was in the process of repotting them, I noticed my Elephant Plants have some leaves that are wrinkly and stems that don't look green or purple- but brownish.

I've read to keep repotted succulents in filtered light and without water for 3-4 days, so I've been doing just that since yesterday. But I'm worried this poor guy needs some water in the meantime?

I'm not sure if it's a case of under or over watering since I just purchased it on Monday (2 days ago). Any advice is appreciated! Also, I live in hot and dry Arizona, so that affects my watering schedule.

Comments (11)

  • 11 years ago

    was the media moistened at transplant .. or dry???


    that doesnt look like succulent media ...


    the plant was in transport shock.. from the nursery greenhouse.. to where ever you bought it.. to your house... why did you not let it settle in from that.. before you repotted it ...


    insert your finger.. is the media wet or dry???


    ken

    cathy_macc thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • 11 years ago

    btw .. there is a houseplant forum.. and a succulent forum ... where you might find much more info from the hardcore peeps...


    ken

  • 11 years ago

    It's in a Cactus and Succulent soil I got from Home Depot. I didn't water the soil before or after I moved the plants to the new soil. I moved it so it wouldn't be in the plastic temporary container.

    It feels dry but not completely dried out, if that makes sense...

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Okay, sorry :( I'll post it in there

    EDIT: I thought this was a forum to get help with plants that have problems :( I guess I misunderstood?

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks rhizo!

    Yeah, I was thinking I might just have to water them anyway. The thing is, how much? Should I soak it like usual or go easy since its just been transplanted...?

  • 11 years ago

    Cathy....please ignore ken, he's a self-appointed forum monitor. You are VERY much in the correct forum.


    ==>> go to heck rhiz


    not informing peep OF OTHER OPPORTUNITIES OF KNOWLEDGE.. is called censorship ... and you appear to be the self appointed queen of limiting peoples opportunity to learn ... not only do you tell her to ignore me.. but then tell her to go to the forum i suggested .. whats that all about ...


    in my entire gardening career.. i have never heard of transplanting into dry media ...


    this is a forum to get help .. and there are two other forums to get help.. what is wrong with letting you know there are two other forums for help ... with other experts.. who never come to rhiz's little kingdom of hate???


    good luck with rhiz .. she knows it all .. you dont need anyone one else ...


    dont worry;. i wont be back to this post


    ken



  • 11 years ago

    Woah... certainly was not my intention to cause any feuds about forums, I'm very grateful to both of you for the much needed advice. I ended up posting the same question in the C&S forum too so its all good.

    Back to the repotting issue- I'm not at all experienced with succulents until now so I'm not really sure whether it was good to repot them in dry soil. I'm just so nervous of over-watering that I hate to take chances. I'll just keep an eye on them- I did switch them to a better draining soil from the advice on the C&S page so we'll see.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Cathy, I think that most people are nervous about overwatering their succulents, so you're not alone! Just as many problems are caused by underwatering or by an improper technique than over watering. :-)

    The magic word to remember is FREQUENCY. Your succulents should be watered thoroughly, drenched, even soaked......... but infrequently. By administering little sips of water, we encourage dry hydrophobic pockets to form within the root/soil volume and roots will die in those spaces. Result? Wilting and dessication.

    That's why it is so important to find or create a fast draining potting mix. Yours may have been fine, only you know the answer to that. I use the same brand for everything, nothing special for the cacti and succulents....but it's highly porous.

    Don't be afraid to fail! You'll soon learn to judge the timing of watering by the weight of the pot, the feel of the leaves. When the plant lets you know that it's time, it needs to be drenched. If you have a fast draining medium, even your succulents will be okay with watering too frequently once in a while.


  • 11 years ago

    Cathy, it has nothing to do with you, at all, sorry this has happened in your discussion.

    Best luck to your plant! You're "in good hands" with Rhizo & the folks in C/S forum.


  • 11 years ago

    I have this plant on my counter and I give it 1-2 cups of water about once a month. It's a slow grower. Whenever I've forgotten to water it for a while a few leaves will get wrinkle-y and fall off but it doesn't seem to hurt the plant.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus