Software
Houzz Logo Print
debrawall1

selling home and people complain about the color of cupboards.

11 years ago
I remodeled my kitchen and love the quarts counters, stainless backspl etc but people arent liking the cabinets. perhaps bright white paint on walls to pop it? hang pendant lights above island and sink? my friend suggested painting the island a dark chocolate brown...
ideas anyone? ? thanks! !

Comments (104)

  • 11 years ago

    werent you a busy beaver....


  • PRO
    11 years ago

    A good RE Agent should isolate you from potential buyers comments. Your kitchen isn't run down or pink so it is a nice updated kitchen. Unless you remodeled to sell do not take anything as an insult. You have no idea who the people were, their tastes, age, etc. Blue is specific but not a deal breaker if the house is in the right spot and priced right.


    In the end your house will sell on SQFTG and comparable not your blue kitchen.

    I sold a house where a young couple called our stainless Sub Zero a cheap looking fridge and they wanted a better name brand. Watch a couple house shows and be blown away with the crazy comments and requests.

    Debra Walling thanked Brian Gannon
  • 11 years ago
    @wannabath, LOL!
  • 11 years ago

    wow - your have been busy. Looking forward to pictures.

    Debra Walling thanked Angel 18432
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    So glad to hear that additional lighting has done so much good. That's awesome! It is probably the easiest "tweek" with the lowest price tag with the fastest/best results possible = home sold quickly.

    Debra Walling thanked Cancork Floor Inc.
  • 11 years ago

    Your kitchen is beautiful and, since you added more lighting and painted walls, that should be enough. Do not paint the cabinets - they are gorgeous!

    I would change the rug for a brighter, contemporary one for that last bit of pop - and I love your counter stools! The rug you can take with you!






    .



    Debra Walling thanked dae e
  • 11 years ago
    I love blue cabinets. I wish I had them. Good luck.
    Debra Walling thanked Marlyn Isher
  • 11 years ago

    You have a beautiful kitchen! I have kitchen envy :) I was going to post/second previous suggestions, but it sounds like you were quick to implement a lot of the ones I agreed with. I would love to see updated pictures! Good luck selling the house!

    Debra Walling thanked Jill Pokryfke
  • 11 years ago


  • 11 years ago

    To All the WONDERFUL, kind and helpful folks on this website, here are the results of our combined efforts!!

  • 11 years ago

  • 11 years ago

    Excuse the darn garbage can!

  • 11 years ago

    The kitchen looks spectacular now. Those look like professional photos, too. Lighting and staging make a huge difference in photos.

    Debra Walling thanked apple_pie_order
  • 11 years ago

    Yes, I had my friend Miguel come and and take pics but I think the lighting made the biggest difference! No staging just took everything out of the kitchen:)

  • 11 years ago
    Your "new" kitchen looks amazing! Thanks for posting your after pics.
    Debra Walling thanked valeriec
  • 11 years ago

    it looks great! it still has personality, but any buyer could imagine their items in there!

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Yay for you, debrawall1! Your kitchen looks like it came out of a magazine. Let us know when you sell your house. It should be very soon.

    Debra Walling thanked thegypsyrover
  • 11 years ago

    Darn nothing mattered cause I went 'wow'! Love the elegant blue and white and silvery look / a bit of wood as accent.....

    Debra Walling thanked everdebz
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I would suggest paining the island white and bringing in two pendants over the island. You may also consider recovering the the stools with something with a bright white background.

  • 11 years ago
    I like what you did. the trash can has to get out of there. sends wrong message to buyers. speaking of ... how is that going.
  • 11 years ago

    BEAUTIFUL ! and so classy

    Debra Walling thanked eageree
  • 11 years ago

    rfmoor- the garbage can was a complete oversight! ugh

    SUsan S- I did add two pendant lights over the island, perhaps they are too small!

  • 11 years ago

    Holy cats your kitchen is awesome. Nice paint and staging. Well except the garbage can...lol...Have you gotten any offers?

    Debra Walling thanked Rawketgrl
  • 11 years ago
    Looks amazing! Great job!
    Debra Walling thanked Jill Pokryfke
  • 11 years ago

    Beautiful!

    Debra Walling thanked tqtqtbw
  • 11 years ago
    I would not spend money to recover the bar stools but perhaps find very inexpensive white or silver/ aluminum/stainless ones.
    Great job and new photos make a huge difference!
  • 11 years ago

    What a difference. Yes the 2 lights are a little small, can you replace them with larger ones (maybe the co will let you return the original ones). Pls keep us posted on progress with sale. Good Luck.

  • 11 years ago
    Give a modest kitchen remodel allowance as an incentive then the new buyer can decide. Sheesh!
  • 11 years ago
    I guess that i am late to the suggestion party.
  • 11 years ago

    Sorry but blue cabinets will turn off 90% of your potential buyers. Despite what the polite-won't tell you the truth--Houzzers say. Ask the Real Estate Forum on Gardenweb. They'll tell you the unvarnished truth. http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/realestate

  • 11 years ago

    Regardless of the color, your kitchen has a very good footprint, great bones and nothing looks cheap. I'm no realtor, but as a buyer, this kitchen wouldn't be the reason I'd walk away. Even if the blue is too much, it's definitely something someone could live with until they decide on what changes to make. The finishes you selected (countertop, backsplash and appliances) give homebuyers many, many options on cabinets whether it's repainting or selecting a wood stain. Great job debrawall1!!

    Debra Walling thanked ybxhctq
  • 11 years ago

    regarding the garbage can, (which i completely understand was an oops); its important for posters in all dilemmas to REALLY look at their pictures before posting. before they ask for advice, take a picture and look at it. its amazing how many questions resolve themselves in 2D that are harder when you are standing in the room.

    and don't count on the photographer the real estate agent sends to fix whats wrong. they're happy to leave toilet seats up, blinds mangled, and trash cans in the photo.

  • 11 years ago

    You have done an amazing job - don't do another thing, period! It is stunning with the new pictures posted and the rug removed. Now I can see how beautiful the whole space is. Wish I could buy your house just FOR the kitchen! Much success to reach your larger goal!

    Debra Walling thanked dae e
  • 11 years ago

    Great job! So classy!

    Debra Walling thanked suzyq53
  • 11 years ago
    I could not believe this was the same kitchen! You did a great job of prepping for sale. Everyone who commented about the staging aspect was right on target. You can't always remodel just to list your home, but you can work with what you have to make the best first impression.
    It is true that not all may like the color of cabinets, but the kitchen is very spacious and functional and it does show every well.
    As good as some Realtors are, they are not stagers or photographers, so do not leave to chance anything. Your friend did a nice job of taking pictures, if you can, take photos in the HDR format which really makes everything look better.
    Be sure to employ all the same gusto and fun with getting the rest of your home looking as great.
    Good luck with the sale!
    Debra Walling thanked sunnydrew
  • 11 years ago

    Personally - I love your cabinets. What a unique and special kitchen you have. I wouldn't change one single thing.

  • 10 years ago

    Thank you!! It sold in one day:)

  • 10 years ago

    Congratulations!! Blue cupboards and all - lol.

  • 10 years ago

    This makes me so happy and it's not even my house! You must be ecstatic! As a bonus, now you have pictures that highlight all of the work that you put into remodeling and the finishes that you chose. It really looks fantastic.

  • 10 years ago

    I'm so happy for you, debra! Good luck in your new home. Let us know how that goes.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Yah! Blue Kitchen staged to sell! Gone in 1 day! Awesome!

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    If you resprayed off white in a catalyzed conversion, finish with mostly clean antiquing stain & a stain clear cat conversion varnish. It would be an amazing upgrade. In my opionion.

  • 10 years ago

    Totally not my problem anymore:)! Somebody else bought it and loves it!


  • PRO
    10 years ago

    How great for you! Someone loves it as you must have to be so bold with your cabinet color. Congratulations!

  • 10 years ago

    I have a new problem with my new home, Old, and don't want to make a mistake with the countertops...Carrerra marble and paint cabs white?

  • 10 years ago

    Debra, why don't you start a new thread so that people will see your new dilemma with a current date? You will get much more help that way.

  • 10 years ago

    I did three times and only had two comments in two days. I must be doing something wrong!

  • 10 years ago

    bump them up then... just comment 'bump' and they'll come to the top again.

  • 10 years ago

    you're awesome, thanks!

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Be careful of a large scale countertop pattern. With the size of the counters there would be multiple seams. The big veins would stop and start which could be quite jarring.

    Go to a stone yard and see the slabs. Show photos of kitchen and scaled layout. Ask for a stone overlay to show you how the stone would be cut.

    Then and only then undertake changing the tops. If the stone people are not willing to do this for you, don't hire them. The investment for this size kitchen would be considerable so you really need to do your homework on this.

    Also, consider the properties of marble. They can be damaged by acid products like vinegar, wine, Coke and lemons. Some folks are quite vigilant and wipe up quickly so no issues. If left overnight you will see a mark.


    You our coukd also look at quartzite which is natural. It is light and subtle veining. Also as mostly Quartz rock a little less fussy.


    Engineered stone like ceasarstone or Cambria coukd also be consideration.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner