Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

Native plant nurseries in New Mexico

I will be traveling through New Mexico. I am interested in seeing some Native plant nurseries other than High Country Gardens in Albuquerque area and Santa Fe. I am possibly going to be swinging out into Texas . Got any ideas? I will be leaving first of October.

Comments (4)

• jadeite
    8 years ago

Mara, HCG doesn't have a brick and mortar store. They closed their shops about 2-3 years ago. I suggest Plants of the Southwest who have shops in both Albuquerque and Santa Fe. Warning - the Santa Fe shop takes cash only. I visited earlier this year where I learnt of their policy. The Abq shop takes credit cards, checks or cash.

Are you just looking or do you plan to buy? My favorite local nurseries in Abq are PoSW and Plant World. PW is a wholesaler so you have to be in the trade, or you can become a member if you want to shop. If you're not shopping, you don't have to pay the $25 membership. They claim to be the biggest nursery in NM.

PW has loads of interesting plants, but their staff must be hired for their looks, they know nothing. Well, I exaggerate a little, there are a few well informed sales people, but they're hard to find. They have a Native Plant area out in the back. If you have time and patience, you can window shop to your heart's content.

BTW the Balloon Fiesta is held in Abq in early October. I think it starts 3 October this year. It's a big spectacle which draws huge crowds. They broke the world record for mass ascensions a couple of years ago, with something like 350 (?) hot air balloons launched in an hour. You could join the madness, but if this isn't your idea of fun, avoid visiting that week.

Cheryl

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you Cheryl, I am looking and looking to buy. . PoSW was on my list to buy some seeds but I probably will stop by there because I just can't get my Muhlenbergia porteri and M. torreyi to take. I am a bad mom. That's a great idea. Mesa Gardens in Belen would probably be a good place too. Have you ever been there? I know they have GOBS of C & S, but do they also have some more cold hardy guys. They do have some on their seed list. They have a Echeveria strictaflora that is good for the Big bend that I was interested in trialing outdoors. . How is the Great Outdoors Nursery? We have a Great Outdoors in Austin that is pretty good. I wonder if they are related.Plant World Does have Ephedra equisitina which is high up on my want list. They call it Bluestem joint fir.

Actually I will be there that week but hopefully not in a crowd of people.. LOL. I will be dropping my sister off in Cerillos on the 7th after wandering points unknown., just up 25 from you , actually Rt14. I might stay a couple of days there before heading south.

• jadeite
    8 years ago

I haven't tried Great Outdoors or Mesa Gardens. I think you probably have more selection in Austin than we have here, so if I were you I'd look for plants that are relatively more common in NM than TX.

PW has the blue ephedra listed, but I've never seen it there and the sales people have no idea what I'm talking about. If there's something special that you are looking for, give PW a call and see if they have it in stock or can get it for you. I've been able to find special plants that way.

Remember this is the land of manana where time stands still, or some such nonsense. Bottom line - efficiency is NOT a familiar concept, orders are lost or forgotten or misplaced. You'll order mahonia haematocarpa and be given Oregon grape holly by mistake. Keep smiling.

Cheryl

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Your funny Sheryl. I just bought a book and after I read it(if I like it) , I will send it to you. It made me think of you. 'Barren Wild and Worthless, Living in the Chihauhuan Desert". It is about a eco biologist who moves there from the East and gets hit by all the brown. and then her subsequent journey into understanding her new world with eyes that are so used to green. I visited the east and had the reverse situation this summer. God, every photo was gushing with eye hurting green and streams and bogs everywhere .

I am looking for plants more common in NM. Mesa gardens is a world class cactus and succulent supplier. Check out their site (no pictures) They have some different types of Agave striata that are not available in Austin.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting