Software
Houzz Logo Print
tesadazy

Kitchen MCM small dark

11 years ago

Just bought this home two months ago. Thought I would have no problem with a small kitchen. Pic is stretched. Floor with is five feet. Thinking of painting cabinets off white. Adding under cabinet lighting. This kitchen was redone in 1988. I believe it was a walk thru with the laundry in the kitchen. There are no kitchen windows. So I keep opening up the door, which hits the Fridge. Thinking of putting in a French door for light. Just wondering if anybody has any better idea if make if feel bigger. My counters are cluttered now. This was a photo to sell house. I will have to replace the kitchen sink cabinet..water damage in the past. would like to stay with a MCM feel.


Comments (15)

  • 11 years ago
    Your house is beautiful! I want a MCM when we are done moving.
    Terry P thanked Gato Playa
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I would not recommend painting the cabinets. It never lasts long and eventually the paint will wear off in places. Replace the counter tops and update the hardware. More natural light is always a good choice!

    Terry P thanked MARK IV Builders, Inc
  • 11 years ago
    You can gel stain now. Instead of paint. I've had two friends do it. It actually penetrates the wood unlike paint. Rustoleum. Check it out.
    Terry P thanked Gato Playa
  • 11 years ago

    MARK VI BUILDERS..The cabinet by the kitchen sink looks a bit worn. It will have to be rebuilt..water damage on the bottom. I hope we don't find any surprises when we take that one cabinet out.

    I was also thinking of putting glass in the two top corner cabinets.

  • 11 years ago

    I also would eventually put in white appliances and sink.

  • 11 years ago

    Kathryn Beach....the peninsula can not be used to sit at. Too small. And if I remove it, then I have no drawer at all.

  • 11 years ago

    Tiny is right. Does that door need to be where it is or can it be moved? That's a very awkward spot, even if it didn't bang into something. New cabinet fronts are in order if you want to stay MCM. I'm more bothered by the arch than the color-although oak is NOT usually used for MCM (birch). I like the stainless appliances. If you take out the island, maybe you can extend the length of the storage that is on the wall opposite the kitchen.

    Terry P thanked Coleen Arnfield
  • 11 years ago

  • 11 years ago

    the above is the dinning room. These windows are what give me some light in the kitchen.

  • 11 years ago

    I would rather not move the door, even though it is in the way. Could not find the original blue prints for this house. Would have been interesting to see how is was originally designed.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    My MCM house with the kitchen I love it white high gloss cabinets mixed with stainless on stove wall I agree off white not so MCM. As for light get some great LED track and install lots

    Terry P thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Lighter cabinets will make the kitchen appear larger. Also, use a low-contrast color scheme for the walls. Update cabinets with sleek hardware - try installing the cabinet pulls horizontally!

    Terry P thanked GlideRite Hardware
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    FYI this was the original in my house we actually swapped this space with the DR took out 2 walls this table is where the old kitchen was

    Terry P thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I like the idea of refacing the cabinets. If you get a color close to the existing, you won't have to do anything to the cabinet boxes. And if you decide to go white, you only have to paint the boxes and the new door and drawer fronts will wear like new. Love the idea of a french door to bring in more light. Here is a good example of MCM cabinets.

    Mid-Century Butler's Pantry · More Info

    Terry P thanked Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc