Software
Houzz Logo Print
orieanna22

Regrouting Kitchen Tiles

11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago

I am working on regrouping my kitchen floors and what I noticed is that the joints are different size. Can someone advice me what type of grounding product should I use sanded or unSanded?
Also any advice on what color grout would complicated my kitchen floors?

Comments (13)

  • 11 years ago

    Grout lines look quite narrow so probably unsanded. Measure and confirm with dealer.

    When regrouting tiles which have been used I always recommend matching the color of the tile as closely as possible. If a contrasting color is used you will likely discover hundreds of small scratches and or chips which will show up instantly and make it very difficult to clear the haze,

  • 11 years ago
    Duplicate post
  • 11 years ago

    Chindowney, thank you for your comment.

    I am in the process of testing a few colors from Fusion Pro Grout. The colors I am testing are charcoal, natural gray, Delores's gray, Tabasco Brown and earth. I have grouted a few lines, the clean up was pretty easy. I will check it tomorrow after the tiles dries. Hope to decide on a colors soon.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Joints less than 1/8" require non-sanded grout. Glass or marble tile also use unsanded grout so as not to scratch their surfaces during the grouting process. You can find more technical information here: https://www.tcnatile.com/faqs/40-grout-joint-size.html#faq29

    As to the grout color, I typically go with the one that blends best with the tile background, the one that best "disappears." The exception would be on a white floor, where you want some contrast to show off the tile shape and/or better resist dirt.

  • 11 years ago

    I had a light grout color to match a light tile. The grout spaces were rather large, and after a few years I couldn't stand the work involved trying to keep the grout clean. (Two dogs running through the kitchen , in and out the dog door) Grout that "did not stain" was used, and although if you scrubbed it, you could clean it, it had to be scrubbed - each and every inch of the grout- to clean it. I finally gave myself permission to rip up the whole floor, found a light tile with gray veining, made sure it was tightly spaced with the least amount of grout line possible, and used a dark grout. Sooo much better!

  • 11 years ago

    Unsanded grout - go with the new epoxy grouts to make life easier in the future so you don't have to seal it annually and worry about stains in the future.

  • 11 years ago
    while the general rule about sanded versus unsanded is the size of grout line my tile guy strongly recommend sanded for all flooring even though our spacing is narrow. its stronger, less shrinking. agree that you want to go as dark as you can and seal it to help with cleaning.
  • 11 years ago
    did you know you can re paint grout? Find at Nufloors.
  • 11 years ago

    Thank you you all for your wonderful advice. I just finished up my week long project. I decided to go with Fusion Pro Grout, natural gray on my ceramic tile floors. It was very easy to put down and clean up. I don't plan to do this again. Here is my finished project.

  • 11 years ago
    Looks great! Love your counters and backsplash. Do you know what they are? Thx!
  • 11 years ago

    Thank you, The countertop is called Crystal Gray. The backsplash did not have a name. The colors in the backsplash have a pearl like look, metallic and gray it is glass tiles I bought it from Home Depot.

  • 11 years ago

    Looks great! Can I ask what color your cabinets and walls are painted?