Software
Houzz Logo Print
karen_pressley

Ideas Please!

11 years ago
I went to Mobile, Al to see my property. The last tenant took it upon them self to cut that opening in the wall to make a bar. But it is a catastrophe. I am thinking of just making it an arched opening, see the drawing I came up with. But not sure about that. The kitchen counter has to be redone, however, the counter top is nailed to the cabinets below. I've lost a lot of money being naive, well stupid, I let someone come in in my absence and put down a tile countertop and backsplash. However, when I arrived they had 12 x 12 ceramic FLOOR tile on the counter and back walls. It was not cut even, it was not lined up and it was AWFUL! Who does that? I pulled all of that off and I am ready to proceed but I don't want to make anymore dumb decisions and I will be present to oversee the repairs. I've lost over 1200 already so now I want to ensure its done nicely, correctly and aesthetically pleasing on a budget.

Comments (22)

  • 11 years ago

    I would hire a countertop company to come in and resurface the countertops with sheets of laminate (durable and easy to clean for tenants). You'll need to put up some new sheetrock before you can retile the backsplash. Unless the structure of the wall has been compromised by the bar opening, I would leave it as is, and just make sure there is an appropriate countertop material there. Most important thing to learn from this is to never let tenants do improvements to a rental property, if they ask for something to be changed you need to be responsible for doing it or hiring someone to do it how you want it, and if they do anything without your permission make sure you keep their security deposit.

  • 11 years ago
    Thanks Shelly. There are arches at 3 entry ways so I thought arching that space may pull it all in. The breakfast nook is small and I think having a bar there would be too much going on in a small space.
  • 11 years ago
    Why can I never see the pics in a post?
  • 11 years ago

    Just put a countertop where the opening in with some on the other side so next tenant can choose to put stools there is they want to ----probably gives the person in the kitchen a chance to see what is going on in the living room. Good luck but an absentee landlord always has more problems unless they hire a very reputable rental agency to oversee---but good luck finding one of those, too.

  • 11 years ago

    Go with honed laminate on the counters and bar in a dark gray. I wouldn't trust a tenant to keep tile counters clean or chip free

    Use the arch if consistent w the house.

    Skip the spackle. I still find that 70s.

    Inexpensive white subway tiles would finish it off nicely.

    Always be present when work is being done. I find contractors frequently take the easiest/fastest route when the owner isn't around.

  • 11 years ago

    Tile on a countertop is never a good idea. Your counter top area is small it won't cost that much for laminate but I would look into solid surface, much more durable. Small subway tiles for the back splash is a great idea. Hire a pro to do the work.

  • 11 years ago

    Wow! Well, it looks worse than it is for sure. The bar opening is pretty neat really, assuming the structure is sound. Just think of it as opening up the space a little. And for the breakfast nook/bar mix, well, furnishing it will be up to the tenants. I would have either stools and counter at the opening OR a table and chairs, not both. Stools can be on the other side instead if they wish.

    I agree with the laminate suggestions. Our house had the matching laminate up the walls, which looked great and was easy to clean. I changed it, but that was only because I found the perfect backsplash tiles. For a rental I would have left it as it was. Definitely have the laminate professionally installed. I think Home Depot or Sears has installers you can hire.

  • 11 years ago
    I wouldn't arch the opening. Arches are dated. As for the counter tops don't do tile or laminate. I know it's more costly but a corian top will look better and last longer especially for a rental.
  • 11 years ago

    Arches are DATED?? Nonsense. They may not be to your taste, but dated?

  • 11 years ago

    I agree with the pro above. Center the opening, and arch it. The nicer a rental is, the higher the rent you can set, and the more responsible renter you can expect. I learned that with my own rental.

    Laminate that's attractive and easy to care for is the way to go, for most renters.

    i went through a couple of contractors before I found one I was thoroughly comfortable with, who could produce solid results, but not try to sell me on his own peculiar, and inevitably expensive, and problem-ridden "vision", but knew when what I thought I wanted wouldn't work. Finding someone you find pleasant to work with and whom you can trust, even when you're not there to supervise, makes a huge difference.


  • 11 years ago
    Pull the countertop off and have a Home Depot or Lowe's contractor measure and install a new laminate with the 4 inch backsplash. It's a rental and there is no guarantee at all the next renter won't ruin it also, this way you haven't invested more than necessary in it. Renters appreciate cleanliness and finishes that aren't degraded - fresh paint, no rust, fresh grout and no mold in the bath, and no scratches that collect dirt in the flooring. They can read Apartment Therapy for how to add their style preferences.
  • 11 years ago

    wow you are handling the mutilation of your home extremely well, i love those old places im no expert, just a amateur small renovator, i think you should definitely make and arch it will open up that area and have that open plan feeling, and the kitchen, well if your renting i find that i think there called sheet paneling its cut to fit the kitchen wet areas, and seamed in so water cant get in and then painted, and just a cheap laminex on the bench tops most people that don't own the houses don't take due care and anything is going to have hot pots put on them, even consider a built in timber or cut out laminates cutting board, and vinyl on the floors, they can come up the walls in the toilet and bathroom so you don't get any mold build up i have found that to be the best options, and a roller blind cheap again, as curtains will cause more holes when they put there style in with extra rods. rollers are very in expensive and do the whole block out thing for privacy.

    laundry is always a huge problem for me to if you can splash bit get the good piping for the fittings as the cheap ones blow off and yeap well you know what. frosted glass in laundry and a bench and above cupboard is good.

    Good luck and i hope this helps, i can post photos of the kitchen paneling im talking about give me an email its very hardy

  • 11 years ago

    I agree with centering the bar cutout, but not sure about arching it??? Is that doorway in the background the only other arch in the house? If so, perhaps it should be squared and trimmed out vs. arching the new wall opening... make them match either way. As far as the countertop, Formica has some wonderful laminates... my Formica countertop resembles granite. Many don't notice that it's not granite until I mentioned. Clearly it's nothing close to granite, but at a glance, that's how it appears. Easy to keep clean, hard to damage, great for a rental!

  • 11 years ago

    It's a rental. You've got a rectangular window and door opening right next to it, so I would not go through the expense of making a curve, the rectangle is fine. I do agree with others, go with a nice laminate. It will be cheaper than stone and hold up better to any abuse. Just make sure it's able to hold up to a hot pot without melting.

  • 11 years ago

    Having an opening between the rooms is a good idea, albeit poorly done. If the wall were going to collapse, you'd likely know it already.

    An arch, well done, will be a lot more expensive than just adding trim boards to frame the opening which, if finished properly will look fine and be practical cost wise for a rental property.

    I agree with BShelly on the countertops. The same company can create the backsplash for you as well.

  • 11 years ago
    The arch will cost more but would look good. I would not put tile in the kitchen unless it is stone. Even in a rental. But cheap you rent cheap. Long term it is an investment. There are other routes with the opening. You could create a focal point with some lighting, pendants or wall sconces. Dining area add a small simple drop down light fixture than can be viewed from the living room through your arch over a table.
  • 11 years ago

    This kitchen is a little like mine, except mine there is no opening where I can see into the living room area, I wish my kitchen had an opening into the living room area like this mobile does. I agree with mdcathy it would be nice to have the ability to see into the living room when I am in the kitchen, I have asked my husband to open up the wall that looks into the living area, it would be nice because when I have company I can visit while I am cooking.

  • 11 years ago

    P.S., I see your point about the arch. It does need to be pulled in a bit from the right and I see where the other door is arched. Match it if you like, but be clear on the cost with your contractor. Good luck.

  • 11 years ago

    My husband took out cabinets in this picture and did this arch, this is what I would like to do on the wall in the living room when ever we get enough money together, I see what your talking about the arch would still look good by moving it out to make it even. My husband would have to move the stove to do this he said.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I don't know if anyone mentioned anything above about this being a bearing wall, but before you do anything, make sure he didn't cut an opening in a bearing wall. Because maybe I'm wrong and I hope that I am and it's the way a picture was taken, but it looks like you have a slight sag in it.

    Best of luck

  • 11 years ago

    An arch should only be used when appropriate to the home's style, It sounds appropriate considering the existing arches, and I love the plan to center the arch. I would be clear on the install price, but it shouldn't be cost prohibitive. Above all, make sure that the new opening has an appropriate header (especially if its a load-bearing wall). I can only see one single 2x4 (or 2x6) in the picture which is inadequate for a load-bearing wall, especially given its horizontal orientation. If you arch the opening, I would skip the eating counter but if not, I'd add it if there's ample room for stools. If you add an eating counter, check electrical requirements - you may also be required to add an outlet nearby. Regarding the countertops, do you have any bargain building supply outlets nearby? Look for excess granite countertop material. Basic granite costs have dropped a lot but its still looked on as an upscale finish. Upscale finishes either bring higher rent, or at least keep tenants longer - depending on the area & local rental market. Laminate is cheaper, but can be easily damaged by hot pots and/or cutting knives. A good drywall tradesperson should be able to match the patches to the existing walls. Good for you that you're trying to make the house nice for your renters. These are just suggestions in the absence of local rental market knowledge. Your finishes should be comparable to that market or won't pay off. Would love to see the finished product!

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio